Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Clubs to cease participation in Priority Pass

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2009, 9:47 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold

Special Announcement
July 2009

Delta/Northwest have unfortunately chosen to no longer participate in the Priority Pass lounge access program effective 1 September 2009. If traveling beyond that date, be sure to select another lounge as you’ll find other lounge partners who will continue to welcome Priority Pass members at most of the affected airports. We remain committed to finding alternative lounge partners in the US and around the world to provide the most comprehensive lounge access program.

https://www.prioritypass.com/Members...ates/index.cfm
Old Jul 6, 2009, 9:55 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
Wow, that will be a hit to PP here in the US.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Looks like a way to make me upgrade to the Delta Reserve AmEx later this year.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by rwsatl
No mention yet of the change on the PP website.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:20 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Color me confused. Last month the EDI lounge would not let me in without a PP card so will domestic and international SCs refuse my DL PL corporate AEX?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by Xeno
Color me confused. Last month the EDI lounge would not let me in without a PP card so will domestic and international SCs refuse my DL PL corporate AEX?
Two seperate entitites.

The only DL-branded AmEx that will get you into a SkyClub is the Delta Reserve card. The only other two AmExs that will get you into a SkyClub are the Platinum and Centurion cards (these are not co-branded with any other company). Business or Personal cards for all three of those cards get you in.

PP is a lounge-access membership, much as one might buy a RCC, SC, PC, etc. membership. PP affiliates with many lounges worldwide for access. Effective 9/1 (it seems), SCs won't be able to be accessible using PP anymore - that means it's going to be PCs and some US/UA/AA lounges here in the states. Internationally, given the few numbers of branded SCs (FRA, MUC, GRU, SCL, NRT and MNL are the only ones I know of), it's more of an issue domestically than abroad.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
This is a big blow to my lounge access ability as I use Priority Pass quite frequently. Luckily, much of my travel is international, which is why PP is so great for me. They have a lot of great participating lounges. Plus, I can still access SCs when Im traveling intl either as a PM or when in the premium cabin...but this really sucks a lot of the air out of the domestic lounges PP offered.

I even swipe my PP card when Im flying internationally on DL to throw some $$ their way. The agents are often confused and sometimes refuse to do it! I have the unlimited pass, but some of them dont seem to understand.

Im really surprised DL would cut a revenue stream from the SCs like this...sure it's not a big one, but still. $ is $ When I sign the sheet in most SCs, there are only a few other people using the PP card each day so they cant be crowding the lounges. Why does it hurt to have a few dollars per guest coming in?

At least ATL still has the PC for PP users (let's hope it stays too).

I wonder if this change sets the stage for another influx of people being allowed to enter the lounge in the coming months (either with the AMEX Reserve card or maybe, just maybe, the unannounced 4th tier members????)...we can only hope!
Old Jul 6, 2009, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
This is a big blow to my lounge access ability as I use Priority Pass quite frequently. Luckily, much of my travel is international, which is why PP is so great for me. They have a lot of great participating lounges. Plus, I can still access SCs when Im traveling intl either as a PM or when in the premium cabin...but this really sucks a lot of the air out of the domestic lounges PP offered.

I even swipe my PP card when Im flying internationally on DL to throw some $$ their way. The agents are often confused and sometimes refuse to do it! I have the unlimited pass, but some of them dont seem to understand.

Im really surprised DL would cut a revenue stream from the SCs like this...sure it's not a big one, but still. $ is $ When I sign the sheet in most SCs, there are only a few other people using the PP card each day so they cant be crowding the lounges. Why does it hurt to have a few dollars per guest coming in?

At least ATL still has the PC for PP users (let's hope it stays too).

I wonder if this change sets the stage for another influx of people being allowed to enter the lounge in the coming months (either with the AMEX Reserve card or maybe, just maybe, the unannounced 4th tier members????)...we can only hope!

Well that'll be interesting, I guess I need to use the 3 free visits I get each year with my Citi Platinum, Amex by 9/1. Since I'm a SkyClub member and very rarely end up at airports without SkyClubs, not a real loss to me. However, it's a major loss to my parents and probably will push them to look at the PLATINUM Amex or the DL Reserve card.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by rwsatl
Not really. Most airports have alternate lounges (PC, RCC, AB) where PP is accepted. This simply brings SC in line with AF/KL lounges, which do not accept PP.

The net loss I think is on the DL side. I have found I use my PP more often than not in airports where there is no SC lounge but at least one PP lounge, so as far as I see it this removes an incentive to go with DL as I find the SC membership to be overly restrictive in terms of locations.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Both DL/NW travelers who use PP will take a major hit as CVG, SLC, MEM, DTW, MSP, MCO, LGA, and JFK (except for those willing to leave the terminal for the Oasis lounge) all lose lounge access.

Pretty much every major connecting hub for the new DL has zero lounge access for PP members (perhaps that is the point...they want more people to buy SC memberships?).

At least ATL has the PC, but it's pretty small.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:16 pm

Angry Bummer!

Looks like DL is trying to force us to buy a SC membership. Since PEs already get use of Skyteam lounges internationally, the question is whether the cost is worth it just for access to SCs when traveling domestically.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Both DL/NW travelers who use PP will take a major hit as CVG, SLC, MEM, DTW, MSP, MCO, LGA, and JFK (except for those willing to leave the terminal for the Oasis lounge) all lose lounge access.

Pretty much every major connecting hub for the new DL has zero lounge access for PP members (perhaps that is the point...they want more people to buy SC memberships?).

At least ATL has the PC, but it's pretty small.
Yea it really sucks for this NYC based DL flyer who just got an unlimited Priority Pass valid until 12/10!!
2 months notice sucks too.. I wish it was at least through the end of 2009.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pitbrian
Yea it really sucks for this NYC based DL flyer who just got an unlimited Priority Pass valid until 12/10!!
2 months notice sucks too.. I wish it was at least through the end of 2009.
Agree completely...it was almost buried in the email...I almost didnt see it!
Old Jul 6, 2009, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Im really surprised DL would cut a revenue stream from the SCs like this...
I'm not. DL is trying force people into their AMEX ponzi/marketing scheme. They have a mistaken notion that they're the 800 pound gorilla and can do whatever they want.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by rb.sr
Looks like DL is trying to force us to buy a SC membership. Since PEs already get use of Skyteam lounges internationally, the question is whether the cost is worth it just for access to SCs when traveling domestically.
Well, that is exactly what DL is counting on, isn't it? The idea of paying for lounge access is pretty foreign outside of the US - most European and Asian elite statuses give lounge access. This is strictly about limiting access to those that found PP an effective way to minimize their spend for domestic lounge access. To that end, I would be surprised to see UA or CO or whomever offer access that made PP a cost-effective alternative to their in-house plans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.