Wiki Posts
Search

DL to Discontinue ICN and PVG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by rclott
Wow, this is a big bummer for me. I live in both Seoul and HSV (a short hop from ATL). Yikes.
Yeah, this is not good for me at all.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:09 am

Programs: Delta, United, American
I had LGA-ATL-PVG BE reservation....

Now I have JFK-NRT-PVG. The DTW-PVG does not fly everyday.

Not that bad except I just lost the 777-200LR for the 777-200ER and I arrive about 6 hrs later. Sigh...

But as many other post have pointed out.... buying a ticket reserves a seat in a particular class of service... not a seat on a particular plane. Therefore your actual plane can change at any moment.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
KE's codeshare is still an option.
KE will increase its fare.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: DL DM&MM, PC PM, MR LTP, HH DM
Originally Posted by Kumaranyc
Here is a response from Delta Airlines regarding the ATL-ICN and ATL-PVG routes:
... We will still offer convenient connecting service to both destinations.
If the connection is the NW Gates in NRT then YUCK.... I made the mistake of flying thru the United Gates there, you know, it has shopping, food, etc. Then on the way back I was on NW again. I HATE the old NW gateway, 1 small stand of souvenirs and 1 snack outlet.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by poohhead80
KE will increase its fare.
I don't think good idea for increase the fare is getting too expensive for flying on KE.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by browell
If the connection is the NW Gates in NRT then YUCK.... I made the mistake of flying thru the United Gates there, you know, it has shopping, food, etc. Then on the way back I was on NW again. I HATE the old NW gateway, 1 small stand of souvenirs and 1 snack outlet.
I'm not sure where you thought you were flying through, but the post-security NRT connection area that NW (now DL) passengers have access to includes many duty free and gift shops, many restaurants/snack bars (including a wonderful ramen shop in Satellite 2), two very nice Sky Clubs, and more. Connecting in NRT is really a breeze, and better than many other international gateways.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by browell
???

NW and UA gates are just down the hall from each other at NRT. Both are set among lots of shops and places to eat. And the two Worldclubs are the best in the NW/DL system.

Back to the original topic... We flew DL 92 from ICN to ATL yesterday. The experience at ICN and the BE seats and service on the 772 were great. However, connecting in ATL was horrible. Another plane occupying our gate even though we were already 30 minutes late, very long lines at immigration and security, endless wait for "priority" tagged luggage (we eventually gave up on two pieces so we wouldn't miss our connection), stifling heat in the hallways waiting for the train, sloppy and indifferent employees, etc. And that was with no weather problems. If I had to do it over again, I would have opted for the much more civilized connections in NRT and DTW. The direct flight was not worth the nightmare of ATL.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by Stripe
???

NW and UA gates are just down the hall from each other at NRT. Both are set among lots of shops and places to eat. And the two Worldclubs are the best in the NW/DL system.

Back to the original topic... We flew DL 92 from ICN to ATL yesterday. The experience at ICN and the BE seats and service on the 772 were great. However, connecting in ATL was horrible. Another plane occupying our gate even though we were already 30 minutes late, very long lines at immigration and security, endless wait for "priority" tagged luggage (we eventually gave up on two pieces so we wouldn't miss our connection), stifling heat in the hallways waiting for the train, sloppy and indifferent employees, etc. And that was with no weather problems. If I had to do it over again, I would have opted for the much more civilized connections in NRT and DTW. The direct flight was not worth the nightmare of ATL.
There were indeed weather related delays here in the ATL area yesterday. But on another note, the priority tag thing is a problem in ATL. One of things that can get very irritating for those of us who's final destination is ATL is that they send out that connecting bags first, so even if you are priority, they are not going to come out until AFTER all the connecting bags already have. In your case, it appears they didn't do that well, either, but in general I have always found the first claim of international bags in ATL to be a PITA.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
The direct flight was not worth the nightmare of ATL.
Nightmare?? I connect there several time each month and have never found it rising to the level of "nightmare". It can be challenging at times; but, it's quite functional.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Originally Posted by DLfan
Nightmare?? I connect there several time each month and have never found it rising to the level of "nightmare". It can be challenging at times; but, it's quite functional.
I agree.. I hope it will be better when new international termnal is completed.

But still it is true that ATL is not a good place to make connection from international to domestic..

-----------------------

I thought ATL-ICN was a profitable route. (even though ATL does not look like an efficient connecting city geographically.)

Last edited by poohhead80; Jun 19, 2009 at 3:27 pm
Old Jun 19, 2009, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by DLfan
Are these international to domestic connections several times each month? In recent years I have done international to domestic connections in DTW, ORD, EWR and IAH. None of them compared to the mess we encountered in ATL yesterday. In the best case, it took me all of 10 minutes from the plane door to the WorldClub when I arrived in DTW from NRT in April.

It was my first time making such a connection in ATL but others in line said it was pretty typical. And what made it seem even worse was the contrast to the experience in Asia. Anyway, to bring this back toward the topic, my point is that unless ATL is your final destination I don't think anyone should be too upset about losing these direct flights, at least on the return leg.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:50 pm

Around the corner from NW's gates you will find a fine dining establishment offering "Mega Mac with rarge potato and rarge coke."

My apologies.

Connecting at Narita is an organized pleasant experience. I'd connect in Narita any day over any of Delta's hectic mainland hubs.

In regards to what N830MH was saying regarding the use of the ATL-ICN and ATL-PVG 777's, I would guess that those could transition over to DTW for the DTW-PVG service. Now that BOM is removed from ATL you don't have to have a corresponding Asian westbound service from ATL.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gustoj820

In regards to what N830MH was saying regarding the use of the ATL-ICN and ATL-PVG 777's, I would guess that those could transition over to DTW for the DTW-PVG service. Now that BOM is removed from ATL you don't have to have a corresponding Asian westbound service from ATL.
Yes, I agree with you. I believing DL will be put on DTW-PVG nonstop on operated 744 aircraft. I think DL will have to be swapped for DTW-ICN nonstop instead of going for ATL-ICN. If they will have enough aircraft availability. The 777 aircraft will have to be freeing up everywhere else. I'm surely DL will have to be considers for DTW-PEK/CAN or ATL-PEK/TPE/HKG/SIN/BKK.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: DL DM&MM, PC PM, MR LTP, HH DM
I apologize, from the descriptions you guys are giving NRT has been REALLY remodeled. The 6-10 times I flew the SFO-NRT-ICN route the NW Gates were 7 gates in a little hub by themselves (& all the flights seemed to come in at the same time). The NW Club was upstairs (& a really nice club). But we couldn't even see UA gates which I flew through on a ICN-NRT-LAX route.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 9:41 am

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Sounds like you haven't been through NRT in years! Give it another go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.