Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Narita NRT Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Narita NRT Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
NRT Worldclub, I mean Skyclub was the best NW club as of my last stay Oct 4. However there are rumours of cuts. I will update on Nov 30 during my next visit.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:51 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Two skyclubs at Terminal 1, NRT

There is the newer one across from Gate 16 and the older one near gate 26. Both, in September, had the same food including one species of Sushi ("Tuna Carpaccio"), the beer machine, lots of free Apple Computers overlooking the ramp and other amenities including showers.

Forget about the KE lounge downstairs as it is less than marginal. Just hand the young ladies at the entrance your membership card and they will be happy to admit you.

Enjoy.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:33 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, MM, AS MVP, Lifetime Skyclub, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, National Exec Elite, IHG Gold
No cuts yet

Originally Posted by tentseller
NRT Worldclub, I mean Skyclub was the best NW club as of my last stay Oct 4. However there are rumours of cuts. I will update on Nov 30 during my next visit.
I was there on Monday evening. No cuts as of yet. Several soups, sandwiches, sushi, hot dishes still availible.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by gaugeguy
I was there on Monday evening. No cuts as of yet. Several soups, sandwiches, sushi, hot dishes still availible.
Thanks, that menu sounds normal to me. (Grill Tuna?)

Just there are rumours around FT that DL will be cutting back SC at NRT.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If flying NW/DL, you will be in BE (former WBC on NW), not FC, although the NRT-SIN food service isn't really WBC/BE but probably more like the current FC to HNL and the hard product is the NW standard international Airbus 330 with WBC seats and good entertainment systems. You are considered to be flying international business class on both segments, not first class, so you will probably be unable to access any lounge that is reserved for FC passengers. (For example, at CDG, PE/PM, AMEX Plat, and international BE boarding pass do not get one into the dedicated AF FC lounge--it is reserved for only AF passengers flying their longhaul FC.) The two Skyclubs (both former NW Worldclubs) at NRT are conveniently located and wonderful. I'm not a beer fan, but don't miss the beer machines.

Your arrival gate doesn't matter much. All NW/DL operations are in the same area of Terminal 1 (gate numbers something like 14 through 30). Do not even think of trying to get to Terminal 2; this requires a boarding pass for a Terminal 2 flight and a long wait for the shuttle bus for your airline. It's even a very, very long walk to the areas of Terminal 1 served by other carriers. When your flight arrives, you follow the transfer/transit signs, usually staying on the upper level but sometimes just taking a long walk; you are segregated from departing passengers at this stage. Then you must clear security (and usually go downstairs or alternatively make a U turn) before you can access the departure gates and the lounges as well as a few shops in this area of the terminal.

Both NW/DL lounges are attractive, spacious, and very nice; I usually just go to the one that is closest to my departure gate. In the past, there always was a nice variety of food (rather substantial snacks including sushi, noodles, soup, small sandwiches, smoked slamon, etc. all labeled in English) and beverages (coffee/tea, soft drinks, wine, beer, limited variety of hard alcohol). However, since the downgrading of offerings at the old NW clubs, I would expect the food to be at the level of what is available at the old BE lounge at ATL when the international flights depart. They have a selection of international newspapers and lots of copies of a few glossy aspirational luxury-lifestyle magazines. There is a collection of white Apple computers with free internet access, I assume reasonably fast but I haven't tested it recently, and a variety of seating options. Cubicle-like work space is rare in the NRT clubs. Some seats have nice views. The restrooms (at least the ones that I'm entitled to use) have Western toilets and are clearly better than those for the public in the terminal. Except for a very few special dedicated FC-type lounges in places like FRA, HKG, CDG, SIN and LHR (I'm sure you know the airlines that have made such investments) these two are as good as you'll find anywhere.

Note (OT but important info for your trip), however, that unfortunately the lounge in SIN may exist no more. Nothing is now listed on the DL SC website to which the NW WC website re-directs. It was a contract lounge and nothing much--champagne and little bags of potato chips, as I recall, surely coffee/tea/water/beer too--a single small and depressing windowless room but better that waiting in the even more depressing atmosphere of the gate in Terminal 1. (Further back, I think there was once a small NW WC near the rooftop garden.) However, there are multiple Priority Pass lounges at SIN as well as some lounges where one can purchase one-time admission (compare the features before paying), open 24 hours in every terminal, so this shouldn't be a huge problem. Once passengers are through passport control (which requires seeing/talking with a person in the NW/DL check-in counter area after they have opened for the flight, even if one has already checked in for the flight and has no luggage to check), one can access all of SIN's airside facilities in all three terminals (but not the old charter/budget carriers terminal). There lots of shops (but most are closed in the middle of the night), free movies, a tropical garden, a swimming pool, sleep areas, restaurants, free internet-enabled computers, etc., in addition to a variety of lounges. It will be interesting to see if NW/DL will nevetheless arrange to grant access to some contract lounge for BE/WBC or PM/PE passengers. (Pre-merger, NW made lounges available frequently where there weren't supposed to be any lounges...for example, at SVO, they handed out vouchers for the Irish pub across from the gate before it was possible to use the Aeroflot lounge.)
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: DL MM & FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by drjazz
First, there is NO WAY to CALL SkyClub help desk. Unlike WorldClubs which offered a very good help line, the only way to ask SkyClub a question is by mail or fax!
I stumbled on a way to talk with a real person and purchase a spouse add-on membership when DL didn't reply to my fax. I emailed TTU and they said to call the MKE SkyClub directly at (414) 747-4785.

Sounds bizarre, but it worked.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Great responses! Thanks for all of the information and I will update after I get back.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Great job Delta! NRT Sky Club and the DL automatic beer machine (photo)

just flew DL JFK to SIN connecting in NRT. Great flight Delta, way to go. Got me into Narita early so I could run into the sky club and grab this shot and grab a beer. Only had a 55 minute layover so way to go! Note: A fantastic job by Delta all the way from JFK to SIN. I got tons of great shots and will post as a T.R. However, here are two of my favorites! The beer machine at NRT (its the little things ), de-icing at JFK as seen from seat 11J, and an in-flight shot about 1 hour before landing at NRT

Last edited by DL2SXM; Feb 4, 2010 at 11:54 am
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: Route Inn Super Mega Ultra Plataimond, Fee-Paying Customer of JL, NH, LH, OneWorld Boarding Group 5
I'm pretty sure those beer machines are standard equipment at most lounges at NRT. NH and UA lounges definitely have them.

Sapporo on tap = ^

That said, the Skyclub is excellent, although the shower facilities are quite inferior to the ones available to Star Alliance passengers.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I love that beer machine. The view from the computer workstations is pretty good, too. Didn't use the showers.

Has the food changed any since they made the SC changes? Is there still sushi and soba, among other things?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Been there before, it is nice

Well, nihonjin no lounge ha totemo iidesune.

The Japanese's lounge is great!

I am not big into beer, but they have excellent soba, and nice sake as well (in the beverage section). I think we should bring the NRT team to manage ATL for a week... it would be... a new experience
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
In my opinion, these are the best NW WorldClubs that Delta "inherited". Those beer machines have been around as long as I can remember. Just too bad they don't have Suntory or Asahi on tap instead. Let's all hope the generous food offerings remain intact and don't follow the way of so many other SkyClub lounges.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Just too bad they don't have Suntory or Asahi on tap instead.
Asahi IS on tap (in the picture).
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
These are some of my favorite NW lounges to go to. I really like the way they turned out when the renovated them. And, unlike all the US Skyclubs, these actually have some tasty food, and not just pretzels!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
I wish we had one in every SC!! Now, that would be an excellent way to make "SC product more consistent across the board".

By the way, how did you take the de-icing picture ? Doors where no doubt shut and all electronic equipment should have been off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.