Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Washington, D.C. DCA Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington, D.C. DCA Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Often1
TSA has corrected its policy. With a proper travel document, such as a BP, you can enter any sterile area at the departure airport (with the very limited exception of some intl areas at some airports having nothing to do with DCA). The TSO may alert you to the fact that you are at the "wrong" terminal, but won't deny you entry. There is no sterile connector between A (DL) and B-C (UA-US) so this means double-screening. Allow yourself plenty of time for B because it handles UA, AA and part of US. All are elite-heaving xDCA meaning that premium line may mean very little.
Given my experiences doing just that with TSA at DCA, you have a >50% probability that you'll have to go up the food chain to gain access to a concourse other than the one the airline you're ticketed for departs from. The policy may have been corrected, but don't expect the TSA folks at the checkpoint to know that. In fact, expect them to deny that such a policy exists.

I am not aware that the "corrected" policy exists in writing in a publicly usable form anywhere.

Also note that the DL checkpoint has the strip-search machines that are used for almost everyone, while the AA/UA/US ("B") checkpoint doesn't have them (or didn't as of a month ago). That will add extra time trying to clear security for the SkyClub.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Also note that the DL checkpoint has the strip-search machines that are used for almost everyone, while the AA/UA/US ("B") checkpoint doesn't have them (or didn't as of a month ago). That will add extra time trying to clear security for the SkyClub.
While this is true that these machines are at the checkpoint, I would say I only end up going through them about 25% of the time and I almost always fly DL at DCA. When the lines get long, the TSA agents will use both the normal detectors and the scanners. Most of the time I end up getting directed through the normal metal detectors.

If you do get put through the other machines it definitely slows you down. I don't understand why they even have them. At DCA they pat down EVERYONE who goes through them. I don't mind the added security measures, but they need to find a way to speed up the process.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
At DCA they pat down EVERYONE who goes through them. I don't mind the added security measures, but they need to find a way to speed up the process.
So why not opt-out and go straight to the pat down?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Mad_Max_Esq
So why not opt-out and go straight to the pat down?
My experience is that if I opt out I get a full and invasive pat-down, while if I go through the machine I either get my arms patted down or a small area on my chest/back -- seems to be based on where they can't see anything. And if I go through the magnetometers, because I have a steel rod in my leg, about half the time I have the pat down as well.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:17 am

Question Location of DCA Sky Club?

I've got a Shuttle flight early Friday evening and was hoping to be able to stop in to the SC to grab a drink before hand. I was looking at the map on the DL website and am having a hard time visualizing where the SC is in comparison to the Shuttle security line. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by mare0114
I've got a Shuttle flight early Friday evening and was hoping to be able to stop in to the SC to grab a drink before hand. I was looking at the map on the DL website and am having a hard time visualizing where the SC is in comparison to the Shuttle security line. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Between the security checkpoint and Gate 15 on your left there are elevators to the Sky Club
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
When did the hours change- online it still says 935 PM, but I was the last one there when they closed at 9 PM last night.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Given my experiences doing just that with TSA at DCA, you have a >50% probability that you'll have to go up the food chain to gain access to a concourse other than the one the airline you're ticketed for departs from. The policy may have been corrected, but don't expect the TSA folks at the checkpoint to know that. In fact, expect them to deny that such a policy exists.

I am not aware that the "corrected" policy exists in writing in a publicly usable form anywhere.

Now all we need is an official looking TSA memo saying that one can go to any terminal.

Does anyone have anything like that? Link? Scan?
That could help me immensely with my newly purchased CO Prez club membership to always get into lounges anywhere really. : )
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
Originally Posted by kahuna613
Any recent experience of getting through security with a non-Delta ticket to use to the Sky Club? My sister was supposed to fly United out of Dulles tonight, but her flight was canceled and rebooked to US Air out of Reagan tomorrow. I'm flying out Delta at the same time and would like to bring her in. Should I expect any issues from TSA?
To follow up, we got into the Delta terminal without any problems. A Delta employee at the counter had told us it wasn't allowed but we went anyhow. The ID checker made sure we knew her flight wasn't in that terminal, but let us right through. I was very pleased.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by kahuna613
To follow up, we got into the Delta terminal without any problems. A Delta employee at the counter had told us it wasn't allowed but we went anyhow. The ID checker made sure we knew her flight wasn't in that terminal, but let us right through. I was very pleased.
Nice I just hope that policy has been relayed to *ALL* airports and employees are actually listening and not sleeping...
Old Jun 8, 2011, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Kiosks

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I don't believe there are kiosks past security.

It was easier to just head for the CRC/sky club rather than stand in line for a kiosk at the check-in area. After all, the club SHOULD be able to do it...
Many SkyClubs now have kiosks.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
I'm having issues connecting to the tmobile wifi at the club currently. I'm on the DCA public wifi broadcasting from downstairs, but would rather be on the (faster?) SC wifi.

I'm pretty tech savvy so either I'm being a total twit or something is wrong. Any ideas?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
also...they just brought out the biscoffs.

I unwrapped FOUR at the same time!
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
I've had trouble connecting to the Sky Club wi-fi lately as well--there simply doesn't seem to be enough bandwidth for all the people using the connection. DCA's free wi-fi is sometimes much faster, so I wouldn't worry too much. Enjoy your Biscoff!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Three or four photographers with all sorts of studio lighting and curtains were in the Sky Club at Reagan this morning, taking pictures and video. Among the subjects was the buffet, but they didn't pay much attention because the napkins were still in plastic wrap and the food wasn't refreshed before they started shooting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.