Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Gold SkyMiles AMEX Credit Card Offer E-mail 5/1/09 [35-50k + SkyClub Passes]

DL Gold SkyMiles AMEX Credit Card Offer E-mail 5/1/09 [35-50k + SkyClub Passes]

Old Jun 12, 2009, 5:39 pm

Programs: Delta Slymiles
I applied about 3 weeks ago and got the card about 1 week ago.

So is it possible I got a promotion for 30k miles (20 + 10) and no offer for passes or companion ticket or whatever?

I really would like the club passes but I do not remember that as part of the offer. If I did choose the one with no passes what can I do to try to score them?

Mykal
Old Jun 12, 2009, 7:07 pm

Delta American Express 40,000 mile offer

Received an email today from Northwest/Delta now offering 40,000 miles plus two one day Sky Club passes for getting their American Express card. You get 25,000 miles right away and then another 15,000 miles after spending $1,000 in three months. They also make a point to say that your Worldperks Visa will no longer earn miles. I think they are getting desperate and finding out that not as many Worldperks Visa holders are switching to American Express.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 7:40 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
There is a 50K bonus mile offer posted in the AmEx credit card forum. Warning - you only get the total bonus miles if you have never received AmEx bonus miles before. And be sure to print EVERYTHING related to the bonus - the offer itself, your registration page, etc. AmEx is noted for not honoring bonus mile offers.

Right now the DL offers are not great - I just earned 48K US Bank Flexpoints (worth $960) by charging $8K in airline tickets on two separate US Bank cards after all the bonuses. And since for a month I "double dip" with Worldperks, I also earn 8K WP miles (say they are worth $100). So my "return" is over 13% ($1,060/$8,000 spend). Can't get much better than that!

John
Old Jun 13, 2009, 1:58 am

Have they started issuing more realistic credit lines yet? After reading all the posts here about ridiculous credit limits I didn't even bother applying the first go around.

Not real cracked about the Delta Amex to begin with. After all the stories of asinine credit lines I'm passing unless something has changed.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 6:15 am

I got the 40K page, but the link is broken now.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 7:03 am

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Originally Posted by Mixmaster300
finding out that not as many Worldperks Visa holders are switching to American Express.
For myself, none of the offers have been worth going back to AmEx due to having received a 25k bonus back in the 90's. Till they drop that from the T&C for WP Visa converts, I'll not be going back.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 9:07 am

I got the Gold Amex as soon as they offered it, back in February. Prior to that I used the US Bank Visa for work exoenses (hotels AND airline tickets) and had a $60,000 credit limit. I intended to replace the VIsa with Amex. The Amex came with a $10,000 limit. I immediately called and asked for a higher limit. Amex's answer was to call back after 60 days - their policy is to not allow any increase in credit limit within the first 60 days. For 2 months, I used the Amex for hotels and the US Banks Visa for airline tickets. On day 61 I call. They ask for some additional financial information and then tell me that the only way they can consider increasing my limit is with a copy of my 2008 US tax return! I point out that there are credit agencies, etc, that can provide this information and that no credit card or loan application has ever asked for this before. They basically tell me that they don't care and if I want them to consider increasing my limit, to fax them my tax return. I refuse to do it and am stuck with the relatively low limit. After another week, I call back to see if a different agent can be more flexible. I get the same story.

Just came back from some expensive international travel where the airfare was on the Visa card, with hotels on the Amex and decided to call Amex one more time. The representative tells me that since I have essentially called 4 times to ask for a credit extension, there is no way that they will ever consider increasing my limit without my tax return. It doesn't matter to them if my bills are paid on time, how much I spend, none of that matters.

In every phone call, I explained my need to use the card to cover hotels and airline tickets - mainly on NWA/Delta - and that $10,000 just isn't enough. I suggested that they look at my NWA account to see the value of the tickets. They simply do not care! They may be eager to get new customers, BUT THEY SURE AREN'T EAGER TO KEEP CUSTOMERS ONCE THEY GET THEM!!

I intend to keep the card for the fee free one year and then get rid of it - unless Amex, out of the goodness of their heart, increases my limit on their own.

NWA/Delta management really screwed up when they decided to dump US Banks!!!
Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Boilertube
I got the Gold Amex as soon as they offered it, back in February. Prior to that I used the US Bank Visa for work exoenses (hotels AND airline tickets) and had a $60,000 credit limit. I intended to replace the VIsa with Amex. The Amex came with a $10,000 limit. I immediately called and asked for a higher limit. Amex's answer was to call back after 60 days - their policy is to not allow any increase in credit limit within the first 60 days. For 2 months, I used the Amex for hotels and the US Banks Visa for airline tickets. On day 61 I call. They ask for some additional financial information and then tell me that the only way they can consider increasing my limit is with a copy of my 2008 US tax return! I point out that there are credit agencies, etc, that can provide this information and that no credit card or loan application has ever asked for this before. They basically tell me that they don't care and if I want them to consider increasing my limit, to fax them my tax return. I refuse to do it and am stuck with the relatively low limit. After another week, I call back to see if a different agent can be more flexible. I get the same story.

Just came back from some expensive international travel where the airfare was on the Visa card, with hotels on the Amex and decided to call Amex one more time. The representative tells me that since I have essentially called 4 times to ask for a credit extension, there is no way that they will ever consider increasing my limit without my tax return. It doesn't matter to them if my bills are paid on time, how much I spend, none of that matters.

In every phone call, I explained my need to use the card to cover hotels and airline tickets - mainly on NWA/Delta - and that $10,000 just isn't enough. I suggested that they look at my NWA account to see the value of the tickets. They simply do not care! They may be eager to get new customers, BUT THEY SURE AREN'T EAGER TO KEEP CUSTOMERS ONCE THEY GET THEM!!

I intend to keep the card for the fee free one year and then get rid of it - unless Amex, out of the goodness of their heart, increases my limit on their own.

NWA/Delta management really screwed up when they decided to dump US Banks!!!
There are more stories just like yours and how American Express does not care about current customers with good credit historys.

http://www.my3cents.com/search.cgi?c...erican+Express

I think there will be many who signed up for the Delta American Express who will do like you are doing, drop the card after the first year.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 11:17 am

Programs: NWA Platinum Elite, Million miler plus
I would sign up for this and get my 40k but I already have a Costco AMEX card. Seems like overkill to have 2 AMEX cards, and would they even issue it to me?
Old Jun 13, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by DESMOINESguy
I would sign up for this and get my 40k but I already have a Costco AMEX card. Seems like overkill to have 2 AMEX cards, and would they even issue it to me?
This is exactly why I have not applied. I already have 4 Amex cards (Blue Cash, Costco, Hilton, and Business), all with generous credit limits -- especially my Costco card where it seems they were in a particularly generous mood that day. I am afraid that if I apply for yet another one it will trigger the dreaded financial review, and I will end up worse off than I started.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 7:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Delta Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Busines & Personal Cards

Currently we have 4 WP Visa's in our house. 2 business cards and 2 personal cards. One business card and one personal card go to my WP acct#, and one business and one personal go to my husbands WP acct#.

So to go to Amex, that means we'd need to open 4 accounts to keep our same setup. USbank allowed you to have 2 cards going to the same # as long as one was a business acct - does Amex allow this?

Also, if I'm reading correctly, we can only each get the promo once, correct? Obviously it would be nice if signing up for 4 different accounts to get the promo 4 times. Has anyone run into this scenario?
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Diannap
Currently we have 4 WP Visa's in our house. 2 business cards and 2 personal cards. One business card and one personal card go to my WP acct#, and one business and one personal go to my husbands WP acct#.

So to go to Amex, that means we'd need to open 4 accounts to keep our same setup. USbank allowed you to have 2 cards going to the same # as long as one was a business acct - does Amex allow this?

Also, if I'm reading correctly, we can only each get the promo once, correct? Obviously it would be nice if signing up for 4 different accounts to get the promo 4 times. Has anyone run into this scenario?
business and personal cards are separate entities with amex as well, and having each associated with the same delta skymiles # is no problem. assuming you're approved you should be able to get the same 4 card setup and get the initial bonus for each one. ^
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:46 am

Just signed up to the forum after lurking for a few months.

I have had a Skymiles Gold Amex card for many years.

So I assumed that if I applied again with the offer 25K/15K/2Pass that I would just get the difference between what I may have gotten so many years ago.

Was ready to hit the Verify button and noticed the 13.24% APR that the card will assess on purchases. Checked my latest Skymiles Amex statement and the current APR is just 6.24%.

Seems to be less attractive now for me... more than double the APR to get an as now unknown mileage bonus.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by lostone
Just signed up to the forum after lurking for a few months.

I have had a Skymiles Gold Amex card for many years.

So I assumed that if I applied again with the offer 25K/15K/2Pass that I would just get the difference between what I may have gotten so many years ago.

Was ready to hit the Verify button and noticed the 13.24% APR that the card will assess on purchases. Checked my latest Skymiles Amex statement and the current APR is just 6.24%.

Seems to be less attractive now for me... more than double the APR to get an as now unknown mileage bonus.
If the interest rate charged by a frequent flyer credit card factors into your decision making, it's probably not the right product for you. Once you begin paying interest on your purchases, the value of frequent flyer miles earned is completely negated.

(Occasionally, I've seen people discuss 0% balance transfer offers that actually earn miles on various airlines. This is probably the only instance I can think of that interest rates play into whether or not one should use a airline-branded credit card. But before anyone asks, I am not aware of any of these types of promos currently being offered.)

Last edited by ExitRowAisle; Jun 17, 2009 at 1:14 pm
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:20 pm

30k offer :(

I'm only getting the standard 30K offer

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.