FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta In-flight meal/food service: The definitive thread — Archive (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/931135-delta-flight-meal-food-service-definitive-thread-archive.html)

msp727 Apr 25, 2009 3:07 pm

Inconsistent service starts

Not sure what the rest of you are experiencing but on a flight recently from MSP-CUN on April 17 there were no free offerings in coach (peanuts/biscoff), not to mention on my return flight CUN-MSP the gate services were provided by DL staff and they didn't upgrade elite members because to their knowledge international flights don't qualify for elite upgrades, so FC on that NW flight went empty except for a few people who had booked FC.

clarence5ybr Apr 25, 2009 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by msp727 (Post 11643460)
Non my return flight CUN-MSP the gate services were provided by DL staff and they didn't upgrade elite members because to their knowledge international flights don't qualify for elite upgrades, so FC on that NW flight went empty except for a few people who had booked FC.

Send a note to DL mentioning this so the GAs can be properly trained.

FreqTrav27 Apr 25, 2009 3:36 pm

Flying next week in F, FLL-JFK and it says breakfast...does anyone know what that would be?

Also JFK-FLL in F and it says Dinner..?
That must be new as I have never been offered a Dinner in F from JFK-FLL?

clintonuws Apr 25, 2009 4:33 pm

International F Experiences with special meals?

Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone (Post 11399052)
Special Meals
The following special meals are available in First Class and Economy Class on flights where complimentary meal service is offered.

Asian
Baby
Child
Bland
Diabetic
Gluten-free
Kosher
Low-sodium
Muslim
Seafood (cold)
Vegetarian (pure)

This may be complicated with the different DL and NWA planes and departure locations... but can anyone comment on what they received in their Special Meal for International Business? I'm specifically interested in Asia but would be interested to hear about Europe and S. America experiences.

Someone previously asked about the difference between Asian and Vegi. Nobody replied :(

Also, if someone doesn't eat meat (beef, chicken, etc) but does eat seafood... what is the best way to ensure a non-meat option off the regular menu?... Not really ask for a special meal but when boarding, ask the FA if they have your special meal request. When they say "no", tell them you don't eat meat so they save you a "non-meat" option? I would prefer to have the Michelle Bernstein meals if possible. (I know... sneaky and not being truthful... but should be effective, no?)

clintonuws Apr 25, 2009 4:44 pm

Noticed a minor mistake to my above post...

The celebrity chef only makes 1 of the 4 menu items... all look to be beef/chicken...

The other 3 are listed as just BE Entrees

3Cforme Apr 25, 2009 4:50 pm

Not sure what the rest of you are experiencing but on a flight recently from MSP-CUN on April 17 there were no free offerings in coach (peanuts/biscoff), not to mention on my return flight CUN-MSP the gate services were provided by DL staff and they didn't upgrade elite members because to their knowledge international flights don't qualify for elite upgrades, so FC on that NW flight went empty except for a few people who had booked FC.

This is going off-topic, but the automatic upgrade mechanism should have handled anybody eligible for an upgrade at the normal plat/gold/silver upgrade windows. Only when no-shows (already confirmed in First) left seats to be filled would any gate upgrades even be necessary. Those lucky people, plus eligible (that word again) companion upgrades would be processed at the gate.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ades/index.jsp

mersk862 Apr 25, 2009 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 11643822)
This is going off-topic, but the automatic upgrade mechanism should have handled anybody eligible for an upgrade at the normal plat/gold/silver upgrade windows. Only when no-shows (already confirmed in First) left seats to be filled would any gate upgrades even be necessary. Those lucky people, plus eligible (that word again) companion upgrades would be processed at the gate.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ades/index.jsp

Not always true on EUAs - NW and DL both regularly save some seats until the gate, so there are often gate upgrades.

abezebabe Apr 26, 2009 5:20 am

I thought the computer took all the 'guesswork" from GA. Doesn't it auto upgrade those who are eligible???:confused:

FreqTrav27 Apr 30, 2009 4:09 pm

For FLL-JFK-FLL yesterday:

I was offered in F for breakfast: Ceral, fruit, a yogurt and a bagel (one choice only)

For dinner we were offered a choice of chicken pasta salad (cold) or a Turkey Sandwich..

I guess this is because the MD-88 have no ovens, and we got cold meals?

tjisnumbaone Apr 30, 2009 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by FreqTrav27 (Post 11673543)
For FLL-JFK-FLL yesterday:

I was offered in F for breakfast: Ceral, fruit, a yogurt and a bagel (one choice only)

For dinner we were offered a choice of chicken pasta salad (cold) or a Turkey Sandwich..

Exactly.

pbjag May 2, 2009 7:52 am

Flew ATL-SAN Tuesday evening. Dinner choices were chicken with stuffing and green beans or bowtie pasta with a mushroom bolognese. Dessert was some sort of lemon tart. Ordered the pasta and it was dreadful. :td: No flavor to the watery pale red sauce and served tepid at best. I requested the EATS menu so I could buy something from the back and noticed that several other FC passengers did too.

On the return, lunch options were a Cobb salad or a chicken sandwich. I was amazed at how good the chicken sandwich was - truly something I would have been happy with if ordered in a restaurant. Red peppers, lots of melted cheddar, flavorful chicken. ^

SamuelS May 14, 2009 12:34 am

I have a flight at 2pm, over 1025 miles but less than 1500. DL says 'EATS including sandwiches etc. for purchase' is available in Economy.

However F apparently gets not meal as it is outside of the meal window.

Am I right in thinking that in Economy you can get sandwiches/cheese plates etc but in F get nothing other than a biscoff or pretzels from the basket?

I thought F got an enhanced level of inflight service, not a downgraded one?!?

oliver2002 May 15, 2009 12:57 pm

Did JFK-ATL and FLL-DTW the other day during breakfast and was disappointed that the new NW/DL breakfast for flights below 3.5h is cereal only, no more warm scrabble egg option anymore. Strangely enough the lunch is still a warm item :confused:

Did CO and US F on very similar mileage/timing and its amazing what they offer. Shame DL/NW couldn't match that.

SchmutzigMSP May 15, 2009 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 11755015)
Did JFK-ATL and FLL-DTW the other day during breakfast and was disappointed that the new NW/DL breakfast for flights below 3.5h is cereal only, no more warm scrabble egg option anymore. Strangely enough the lunch is still a warm item :confused:

Did CO and US F on very similar mileage/timing and its amazing what they offer. Shame DL/NW couldn't match that.

I respectfully request that you change your designation from "DL/NW" to just "DL". This was squarely a DL decision, happening well after the merger. As my DL forum friends like to point out, "NW doesn't exist anymore"... ;)

me4yankees May 16, 2009 12:15 am

Originally Posted by FreqTrav27 (Post 11673543)

I was on a 752 from ATL-LGA on Friday, May 8 evening and we had the same selection (trip report here). I found the chicken pasta salad to be quite good, cold or not. It came with a side of fresh fruit and the Italian bread sticks.

On the 752 return LGA-ATL on Sunday, May 10, I had a chef's salad with the side of fresh fruit and bread sticks.