Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive IFE/In-Seat Power Thread (for both DL and NW)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive IFE/In-Seat Power Thread (for both DL and NW)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2009, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Does Delta have plans to install AVOD in economy on the 767-300 international routes? If so, is there a time table for this?
One can't prove the negative - the absence of IFE upgrade plans. But I recall no announcement of AVOD or looped PTV into Y on 767-300ERs. Or the legacy-NW 747-400s for that matter.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:23 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
One can't prove the negative - the absence of IFE upgrade plans. But I recall no announcement of AVOD or looped PTV into Y on 767-300ERs. Or the legacy-NW 747-400s for that matter.
There has been no formal announcement..however per the Delta blog:

http://blog.delta.com/2009/05/20/in-...rvey/#comments

Check out comments #19 and #20:

#19: "...retrofitting the 744s with in-seat AVOD in Economy isn’t likely."

#20: "...I share you’re frustration regarding the lack of in-seat IFE in Y/C on our 767-300ER fleet. We have been working on a program to retrofit those aircraft since 2007, however, given the combination of skyrocketing fuel in 2008, the current global economic recession (which has hit the airline industry very hard) and the H1N1 flu, those plans have been delayed.

I assure you that installing AVOD in Economy Class and full-flat seats in BusinessElite are high priorities for Delta..."
Old Jun 15, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I am flying SEA>OGG on June 30 with 4 of my kids. I called Delta and they said that there is no entertainment on this flight. In another thread in this forum, a member told me there is. According to the Delta website, the flight to OGG is on a 757 and it lists no entertainment. Per the seat map, it looks like it is the 757 ETOPS config:

Boeing 757-200, domestic ETOPS configuration (22 seats in First, Rows 1-6, no seats 6A/B; 159 seats in Coach, Rows 19-45)
- There is no inseat power on this plane
- There are overhead CRT monitors over the center aisle on this plane.

Can anyone confirm whether there is any sort of movie offered on this flight? Thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2009, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Bumping this up because there have been a few recent threads about IFE and power.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 7:38 pm

Is AVOD free?

So perhaps I missed this, but is Delta On Demand free (on an international flight), or do they charge for it?

Also, interesting that this post says that International 767-400's have 110V power at each seat when Delta's site claims it's only in the first 10 rows of coach (I am guessing this is where SeatGuru's info comes from since you mention that is also wrong).

Thanks for an informative post.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by MisterBill
So perhaps I missed this, but is Delta On Demand free (on an international flight), or do they charge for it?
AVOD is free on international flights. Note that there most likely isn't LiveTV (and won't be if going to Europe, Asia, Australia or deep South America).
Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862
AVOD is free on international flights. Note that there most likely isn't LiveTV (and won't be if going to Europe, Asia, Australia or deep South America).
Thanks. So my son doesn't need to bring DVD's to watch on the laptop for our flight to Europe next week (he should be sleeping, anyway)
Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Thanks. So my son doesn't need to bring DVD's to watch on the laptop for our flight to Europe next week (he should be sleeping, anyway)
If you're on a 767-300 (or 747-400) in coach I would, as those planes don't have PTVs (and do a huge bulk of the USA-Europe flying). If on an A330, 767-400, 777 or 757, then you have full AVOD.

Normally, the AVOD isn't as much a problem heading over (people tend to sleep) as it is on the way back (longer flights due to headwinds, all during the day as well).
Old Jul 15, 2009, 10:27 pm

I flew a NW operated 753 from MSP to SFO on June 28 and they turned on the overhead LCDs and showed a TV show and a movie.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 10:36 pm

Thanks for the warning on the 767-300. I *thought* I didn't have anything to worry about, but it turns out the flight back from Venice is on a -300. Going over to Barcelona we're on a -400. Bummer. And as you said, going over we'll sleep. Coming back we'll want the AVOD.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
There should be a note that the 110V power on the NW A330's is usually non-functional. It can work especially if it's an overnight flight and people are sleeping, but if everyone fires up their AVOD, you can kiss your chances of in-seat power goodbye.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raehl311
There should be a note that the 110V power on the NW A330's is usually non-functional. It can work especially if it's an overnight flight and people are sleeping, but if everyone fires up their AVOD, you can kiss your chances of in-seat power goodbye.
So that explains why my AVOD on my ATL-FCO-ATL A330s a couple of months ago was not working at all on either flight...

Shame too, since it was great using it on my LHR-MSP flight back in January (flight was maybe 50% full)
Old Aug 4, 2009, 5:49 am

Thanks for the warning on the 767-300. I *thought* I didn't have anything to worry about, but it turns out the flight back from Venice is on a -300. Going over to Barcelona we're on a -400. Bummer. And as you said, going over we'll sleep. Coming back we'll want the AVOD.
So I am back from our trip. It turns out that DL changed our flight equipment and as of 8/1 it's now a -400 instead of -300 so we had AVOD, which was a really pleasant surprise. Sadly, they shut it off about 30 minutes before the end of the flight, right before my son was about to post a high score in the trivia game. Strangely, on the flight over, they were charging for the games (other than trivia, although I noticed that all were free an hour and a half before landing) but they were free on the return flight. The FA seemed to imply that they should have been free on domestic flights. I also asked him about seat power, since neither flight had this despite the claim here that all seats have power (and we were in row 21 coming back, which I think was within the first 10 rows of coach, which DL claimed had Empower). Anyway, he said there were different versions of 767-400ER's and this one did not have it.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Plans for NW domestic inflight entertainment

Very intrigued by the evolution of NW into DL. Would anyone know with definity if DL plans to add IFE beyond wifi onto the former NW 757-200 and a319/320s? Sorry if this has been asked before but I cannot seem to find a solid answer. I avoid NW domestic because of the lack but will use their flights in a minute if only the service were like DL.

Thanks!

Skycubbie
Old Aug 4, 2009, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skycubbie
Very intrigued by the evolution of NW into DL. Would anyone know with definity if DL plans to add IFE beyond wifi onto the former NW 757-200 and a319/320s? Sorry if this has been asked before but I cannot seem to find a solid answer. I avoid NW domestic because of the lack but will use their flights in a minute if only the service were like DL.
I'd assume select NW planes will get some form of IFE. A lot of the 757s (the 5500 series) are on their way out the door, so they'll likely get nothing - no IFE, no WiFi, etc. There are about 6 of the 5600s in domestic configuration, so that's a possibility. Same with the Airbii - though they might do limited IFE for some planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.