Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Boston (BOS): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum connection time for DL-DL connections at BOS:

Domestic flight-domestic flight: 25 minutes if going to/from BUF, BGR, HPN, or ROC, NOT ALLOWED on a single ticket otherwise.

Domestic flight-international flight:
  • 25 minutes if going to an airport in Canada with preclearance
  • 40 minutes if going to AUA, BDA, or NAS
  • 1 hour 15 minutes if the international flight departs from terminal E (most TATL flights now depart from E.)
  • 30 minutes if none of the above applies
International flight-domestic flight: 1 hour 30 minutes. Exceptions: 25 minutes if coming from an airport in Canada with preclearance; 40 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, or NAS; and until 10/28, 1 hour 40 minutes if arriving from AMS on DL 257, ATH on any DL flight, or TLV on any DL flight ​​​​​​. Note DUB is NOT exempt from the 90 minute MCT.

International flight-international flight: 1 hour 30 minutes. Exceptions: 40 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, or NAS. Note DUB is NOT exempt from the 90 minute MCT.

Special note about arriving on an international flight: Due to BOS's setup, all non-precleared international flights arrive in terminal E. However, all domestic and some international DL flights depart from Terminal A. The exception is most TATL flights, which depart from Terminal E. To get from E to A, you can either take Massport shuttle #11 or walk through the parking garage; the 10 minute walk is completely covered, well signed, and has moving walkways.

MCT for DL to/from its partners:

DL-AF: 1 hour 20 minutes. Note you'll have to get from terminal A to terminal E, unless arriving on a flight from a non-precleared airport outside the US. In that case, you won't have to change terminals.

AF-DL: 1 hour 30 minutes, unless the DL flight leaves from terminal E, in which case MCT is 1 hour 20 minutes. Note that for an international to domestic connection, you'll have to get from terminal E to terminal A.

DL-KE: 1 hour if the DL flight is domestic or arriving from a precleared airport; 1 hour 30 minutes otherwise. Note you'll have to get from terminal A to terminal E, unless arriving on a flight from a non-precleared airport outside the US. In that case, you won't have to change terminals.

KE-DL: 1 hour 30 minutes. Note you'll have to get from terminal E to terminal A, unless departing on one of the TATL flights that departs from E.

DL-KL: 1 hour if the DL flight is domestic or arriving from a precleared airport; 1 hour 30 minutes otherwise. Note you'll have to get from terminal A to terminal E, unless arriving on a flight from a non-precleared airport outside the US. In that case, you won't have to change terminals.

KL-DL: 1 hour 30 minutes. Note you'll have to get from terminal E to terminal A.

DL-VS: 1 hour 15 minutes if the DL flight is domestic or coming from a pre-cleared airport; 1 hour 30 minutes otherwise. Note you'll have to get from terminal A to terminal E, unless arriving on a flight from a non-precleared airport outside the US. In that case, you won't have to change terminals.

VS-DL: 1 hour 30 minutes. Note you'll have to get from terminal E to terminal A.

DL-WS: 40 minutes if the DL flight is domestic or coming from a pre-cleared airport; 2 hours otherwise. WS operates from terminal A, so unless you're arriving on a non-precleared DL flight, you won't have to change terminals.

WS-DL: 1 hour unless connecting to a DL flight out of terminal E, in which case MCT is 1 hour 15 minutes. All WS flights into BOS are precleared and arrive at terminal A, so you won't have to switch terminals unless the DL flight is out of E.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Boston (BOS): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2022, 10:56 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
The North End has some great Italian food, and is very walkable from the Blue Line and a little less from the Silver Line (South Station).

Terminals C and E are connected, so if you want to go through the PreCheck lane and don't mind a longer walk airside, you can clear security at Terminal C.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think they need to have an airside bus from A to E intl departures for this to be reasonable. Check in, clear security and access SC in A - take bus to E.. assuming there is a place to pick up/drop off pax inside security. Just not sure how long that ride could take around the airport... maybe 15 min?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:13 pm

It would be an annoyingly long ride (take a look at the google maps satellite image if you don’t know the airport). I think the time to walk to the gate to wait for the shuttle and to ride over would mean that you probably could beat it walking and clearing security again. It would be close enough timing wise that I would always be thinking about which would annoy me more…
Yahtzee likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 9:17 pm

What is the min connection time for UA dom to UA INTL at BOS? It was 50min before, now is 49min. Can I ask to switch to nonstop for free? This is UA mileage award ticket.
1 UA2652Y SU SFOBOS SS1 125P 1011P/O $ J01 E
2 UA 24Y SU BOSLHR SS1 1100P 1035A#1/X $ J01 E

Last edited by sxchan; Mar 12, 2022 at 11:00 am
Old Mar 11, 2022, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by sxchan
What is the min connection time for UA dom to UA INTL at BOS? It was 50min before, now is 49min. Can I ask to switch to nonstop for free? This is UA mileage award ticket.
1 UA2652Y 12JUN SU SFOBOS SS1 125P 1011P/O $ J01 E
2 UA 24Y 12JUN SU BOSLHR SS1 1100P 1035A#1/X $ J01 E
BOS MCT for UA-UA D-I is 40 minutes, so your ticket is still valid. As for whether UA will let you switch, you might want to ask that question in the UA forum instead of the DL forum .
Old Mar 13, 2022, 8:19 am

Hi folks, would appreciate some advice here

->Landing at Logan, on April 21st coming from Tokyo at 6:15 PM (Terminal E, Japan Airlines)
->1 Hour and 18 minute layover
-> Departing on AA flight 4558 to Toronto Pearson at 7:33PM (Terminal - not sure yet)

I do have 6 checked baggage (total 3 people) so I'm wondering if this will be enough time to get through customs?

The AA customer service lady said that if we miss it we would be booked on the next flight however the earliest is 12 hours later in the coming morning.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 8:45 am

Welcome to FT. AA is in terminal B, but this question is in the wrong forum, since Delta isn't involved. Try the New England or American Airlines forum.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:10 am

To answer the question - I doubt it.

I do not believe you will be able to check your bags back in at terminal E and instead will need to take them with you to terminal B to recheck at AA. But perhaps when this gets moved to the AA forum someone can weigh in on whether Japan can/does accept them back at terminal E for transfer to AA.

If you were standing at the curb at terminal E waiting for the bus you would be at terminal B in 15 minutes or less. So when are you comfortable arriving at a ticket counter to check bags, clear security and get to your gate? I think anything less than 60 minutes - assuming you have precheck - will be stress inducing at the best. And if you got off the plane, whisked through immigration, immediately got your bags it’s doubtful you could get to the AA ticket counter 60 minutes before your flight time.
bosman likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 12:21 pm

Thank you
Old May 6, 2022, 8:32 pm

I’m flying in on KLM and continuing on on Delta - so E to A I assume. What I’m trying to confirm or otherwise if there is a drop point for bags after customs and immigration or if I have to drag them over and check in again at A. I would have thought I could check them again shortly after border control as that’s been my experience at other airports, but a few things I’ve read make me think otherwise.
Old May 6, 2022, 8:43 pm

Yes, after you exit customs and are out of the secure area you turn left and there are counters for many (but not all) airlines. There is a Delta counter.
Old May 6, 2022, 9:09 pm

Thank you so much.
Old May 7, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: Diamond SkyMiles (2MM), Executive (Lifetime NWA) Skyclub, UAL Mileage Plus, IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
Yes, after you exit customs and are out of the secure area you turn left and there are counters for many (but not all) airlines. There is a Delta counter.
Flew in to BOS to on an AGP-CDG-BOS-FLL routing. Cleared customs easily and headed to the transfer desk. A line of 25 people and no Delta staff. I’ll be kind and say that we waited 20 minutes after that for two staff people to get behind the desk. Wifey and I have a comfortable layover time so not too bad for us although I know other folks that were a bit stressed. Then about a 10 minute walk to security.

On another note today was my first time through CDG ever - and hope it’s my last. Long lines for 2E M gates - both passport control and for the bus. Made hour forty connection but just barely.
Old May 7, 2022, 12:28 pm

Interesting. I probably would not have waited in that situation. You can go outside and get on the bus to terminal A, or as you did walk - the bulk of which is via moving walkway - to terminal A. Of course at terminal A you will need to wait to recheck your bags but things will be better staffed - and since the bags will already be tagged I would think you could bypass the kiosk and head right to the drop counter.
Old May 7, 2022, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by N501US
Flew in to BOS to on an AGP-CDG-BOS-FLL routing. Cleared customs easily and headed to the transfer desk. A line of 25 people and no Delta staff. I’ll be kind and say that we waited 20 minutes after that for two staff people to get behind the desk. Wifey and I have a comfortable layover time so not too bad for us although I know other folks that were a bit stressed. Then about a 10 minute walk to security.

On another note today was my first time through CDG ever - and hope it’s my last. Long lines for 2E M gates - both passport control and for the bus. Made hour forty connection but just barely.
Not what I wanted to hear but I’m glad to be warned. Oh well - if I miss my connection I miss my connection. I wonder if delta would be willing to transfer my ticket to JetBlue which is the only other flight to my destination after my scheduled connection?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.