Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NW 747-400 Upper or Lower Deck/Best Seats in BusinessElite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NW 747-400 Upper or Lower Deck/Best Seats in BusinessElite

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2008, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
This is done routinely. Y people have just got to suck it up. I know I have in the past when I was sitting in row 24. On one such particular flight the FA holding Y back even complimented me for not barging ahead or putting up a fuss because I knew that was "protocol."
Folks, the cabin below the stairs IS WBC. That is the problem. They do not hold up the WBC cabin downstairs for the upstairs cabin.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Folks, the cabin below the stairs IS WBC. That is the problem. They do not hold up the WBC cabin downstairs for the upstairs cabin.
I might be losing my mind but in front of the stairs is the 2nd cabin of WBC while what I highlighted in your quote should be the first cabin of Y.

Actually I'm not losing my mind, I do TPACs in WBC at least 5 times per calendar year.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
I might be losing my mind but in front of the stairs is the 2nd cabin of WBC while what I highlighted in your quote should be the first cabin of Y.

Actually I'm not losing my mind, I do TPACs in WBC at least 5 times per calendar year.

It is in between the first Y cabin and the WBC cabin.

No you are not losing your mind but the original note on this way back in the thread was that upstairs walked right off the plane when in-fact there are 36(?) forward cabin WBC pax who get to get off as well. I described a situation a while back where a guy for upstairs gave the FA some crap beause I went out the door first. I was seated in 10B and was first at he door and this guy was spouting that Y pax should wait. She corrected him though
Old Nov 24, 2008, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by avidflyer
No you are not losing your mind but the original note on this way back in the thread was that upstairs walked right off the plane when in-fact there are 36(?) forward cabin WBC pax who get to get off as well. I described a situation a while back where a guy for upstairs gave the FA some crap beause I went out the door first. I was seated in 10B and was first at he door and this guy was spouting that Y pax should wait. She corrected him though
That is quite a long trek for Y pax to charge up there. You'd have to be trampling over people to do that
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta
WBC preference in 747

Traveling WBC -747 NRT-HNL in March, first time on NWA WBC. Can you give me some preferences for seating we now have 11A & B. Upstairs vs. Downstairs and where in either. Transfering in HNL to Delta later in the evening giving us day to enjoy Oahu... any suggestions on checking in luggage after Customs over to Delta? We are traveling on a BE ticket from Delta though F/C to mainland... will the lounge there be available to us from our WBC flight on "same day" travel? Thanks for your input.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruise2006
Traveling WBC -747 NRT-HNL in March, first time on NWA WBC. Can you give me some preferences for seating we now have 11A & B. Upstairs vs. Downstairs and where in either. Transfering in HNL to Delta later in the evening giving us day to enjoy Oahu... any suggestions on checking in luggage after Customs over to Delta? We are traveling on a BE ticket from Delta though F/C to mainland... will the lounge there be available to us from our WBC flight on "same day" travel? Thanks for your input.
You will hear several people advise taking the upstairs but I believe the best seats on the plane are 10A+B. If you search you will find several discussions around this.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:51 am

I take downstairs if I'm going to use my laptop, I'd go upstairs if you wanted more sleep/privacy. NRT-HNL is a beach flight, the only time I've seen children in WBC.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Row 77 (iirc).

Steve B.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:04 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
I was in 77 last week...upstairs, exit row. I looked around and would have preferred 73 A & B. Overhead bins and window side lockers are very small. Neither of our breifcases would fit. I had to take the plastic bag the blankets come in and empty all the things we would need from our breifcases during flight into it. Then the FA put our cases in the rear closet. Another FA made other people take their cases downstairs to put in overhead bins.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 3:53 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by NWA-PLAT
I was in 77 last week...upstairs, exit row. I looked around and would have preferred 73 A & B. Overhead bins and window side lockers are very small. Neither of our breifcases would fit. I had to take the plastic bag the blankets come in and empty all the things we would need from our breifcases during flight into it. Then the FA put our cases in the rear closet. Another FA made other people take their cases downstairs to put in overhead bins.

There must be 2 different versions of overheads by 73 A & B. My wife and I were in them DTW-NRT about 2 weeks ago and our standard size rollerboards (about 8-9 inch wide) fit in the overhead, albeit just barely. From past experience, I was expecting to be told to put them in a downstairs overhead.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:26 pm

I'm in 73A on NW1 later this month. It's sounding like I should really have chosen downstairs. Is security going to be an issue? I have a shoulder bag that will contain a few grand in camera and electronics, and worry about where they might store it downstairs.

I haven't flown up top before, though, so I don't necessarily want to miss that experience either. Any recs? Anyone have a pic of the size of storage space you get in the upper deck?

Also...any tips on how to best enjoy the WBC experience? ^
Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
For upcoming Christmas trip:

DTW-NRT 77A
NRT-PVG 10A

PVG-NRT 10A
NRT-MSP 73A

These are all good seats :-)
Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:26 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA EXP; Delta Plat Medallion; Starwood Plat
You will love the Upperdeck on the 744. 73 A or B are my favorite seats because of all the room. Being on the upperdeck is almost like being in an exclusive club. I had a chance to fly the new Airbus A-380 upperdeck and in my opinion, the 744 Upperdeck beats it hands down.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 7:12 pm

Programs: OnePass, Royal Orchid Plus, Mabuhay Miles
Originally Posted by Vulcan
There must be 2 different versions of overheads by 73 A & B.
One of my recent TPAC flights I noticed the OH bins were larger and wished I lugged my carry on upstairs. I want to say it was tail# N661US. I just assumed that it'd gotten an interior refresh in it's last D check.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:16 am

I'm going to be flying from DTW to NRT in April and I'm coming up on when I can select my seat, I have always wanted to fly in the top deck of a 747 but was wondering if I would be able to fit a lap top back pack in the storage locker that is next to the seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.