Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NW 747-400 Upper or Lower Deck/Best Seats in BusinessElite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NW 747-400 Upper or Lower Deck/Best Seats in BusinessElite

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2008, 7:53 pm
bkw

Programs: NW PE
Had 73A today for NRT-DTW. I've sat all over in WBC on the 744 and it's my favorite. You are, however, the last of the WBC customers to get off the plane.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:32 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
OK .. one more question

Can anyone confirm that the FA's always held the Y pax to make sure all upperdeck WBC pax disembarked first? Or not always?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 12:22 am

Programs: Delta DM Marriott Gold
Every flight I have worked I try my best. But you would be shocked how many people just try to push a FA over to get out. I feel like riot police trying to keep them back, but a few usually barge through.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
OK .. one more question

Can anyone confirm that the FA's always held the Y pax to make sure all upperdeck WBC pax disembarked first? Or not always?
They hold Y but not WBC downstairs.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:17 am

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
They hold Y but not WBC downstairs.
Doesn't it depend if they have both doors open? Even though the stairs come down by the second door, the FAs have ushered me to the first door when all of the coach passengers are using the second one. Personally, I'm never in a hurry to leave the upper deck, so they can take all the time in the world.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NW-A332
Doesn't it depend if they have both doors open? Even though the stairs come down by the second door, the FAs have ushered me to the first door when all of the coach passengers are using the second one. Personally, I'm never in a hurry to leave the upper deck, so they can take all the time in the world.
I think what happens is that before door 2L is opened Y streams up to door 1L. The other thing that happens (just 2 weeks ago coming back from NRT) is that the WBC folks upstairs seem to "think" anyone queued up at the door must be from coach. I was number 1 at the door (thanks to my coveted 10B seat) and I had an obnoxious guy from upstairs make a comment about Biz getting off first. The FA who was talking to me most of the flight scolded him in front of the entire cabin and said "Mr AvidFlyer IS in Business and is a very good repeat customer. Please wait your turn and play nice. Sweeeeeeeeeet
Old Sep 24, 2008, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
I'm in 77K (for now) on AMS-DTW in a couple of weeks. I haven't seen too much discussion of 77K except someone's observation that the FA seat is in front of you. I prefer window. Both 73A and 77A are taken. Is 77K the next best choice upstairs? Does that FA seat really bug you?
Old Sep 25, 2008, 1:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
77-B

for obvious reasons...

(I thought I've posted on this in the past, I guess not)
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
I have been flying to Asia for 25 years, mostly on NW. More recently I have not always been on NW (mainly having to do with the lack of mileage upgrade seats, which never seem to be available to Asia).
I always liked the upper deck better. However, last November the FAs did not let me bring my roll aboard upstairs. Actually on 1 leg I did bring it up and stored it in the closet myself. The FA came and found me and in a not so polite way told me to bring it downstairs. Something to do with the weight of the seats with the new AVOD systems. Sounded like BS to me, but what could I do? I brought it downstairs. A real pain getting it after the flight.

Anyway, my next trip on NW is this November. I am no longer an elite of any kind, so I cannot get 73 (always had been my favorite), 77, or 10, as they are reserved for elites.

We took 4E and 4F, which are the middle seats by themselves in the front cabin downstairs. Anyone have any experience with these seats?
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:45 am

Programs: nwaworldperks gold, cathay pacific asia miles, bangkok airways
peace and quiet, nice side table...........plenty of room........cant beat it upstairs.....esp on that long flight
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
The carpet's looking a bit ratty with some seams separating & corner(s) peeling up but otherwise 77A/B are unbeatable. I was a bit taken aback the worn, Spartan appearance of the upper deck Tuesday on AMS-DTW, but the seats (77A/B) were unbeatable and the service from the crew was superb.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Boofer
I'm in 77K (for now) on AMS-DTW in a couple of weeks. I haven't seen too much discussion of 77K except someone's observation that the FA seat is in front of you. I prefer window. Both 73A and 77A are taken. Is 77K the next best choice upstairs? Does that FA seat really bug you?
77A/B are better. The crew are only in their seats for takeoff and landing. There appears to be plenty of legroom for the right-side seats the rest of the time.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 6:11 pm

Here's a pic of the legroom in 10A/B from AMS-DTW:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31620476@N08/3053706763/

BTW: My seat's AVOD was "out of order". I didn't mind since I prefer to watch downloaded TV/Movies on my Blackberry. The purser gave us two certificates for 25k miles for the inconvenience; one for me and one for my uncle since we were sharing one seat's AVOD for a little while. Since my uncle is not a frequent flyer and I used my miles to pay for his seat, he gave his to me... So I'm 50,000 miles richer!
Old Nov 24, 2008, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mat123
Here's a pic of the legroom in 10A/B from AMS-DTW:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31620476@N08/3053706763/

BTW: My seat's AVOD was "out of order". I didn't mind since I prefer to watch downloaded TV/Movies on my Blackberry. The purser gave us two certificates for 25k miles for the inconvenience; one for me and one for my uncle since we were sharing one seat's AVOD for a little while. Since my uncle is not a frequent flyer and I used my miles to pay for his seat, he gave his to me... So I'm 50,000 miles richer!
No pics please...I like the fact that everyone runs up the stairs and leaves my favorite seats open
Old Nov 24, 2008, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
OK .. one more question

This is done routinely. Y people have just got to suck it up. I know I have in the past when I was sitting in row 24. On one such particular flight the FA holding Y back even complimented me for not barging ahead or putting up a fuss because I knew that was "protocol."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.