Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NW 747-400 Upper or Lower Deck/Best Seats in BusinessElite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NW 747-400 Upper or Lower Deck/Best Seats in BusinessElite

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2008, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
I've been thru NRT a couple of times up front in the 747 and have two words for you: Upper deck. Period. You are so far from the engines you can't hear them. The air going over the top does not seem to be as loud as in the main cabin. It is quiet.

Usually not full and one or two FA's. 24 seats. Best pax/FA ratio you will likely ever find. Seems more like a private jet ride, not a commercial flight.

No room for a large rollaboard, but the side bins on window seats are huge and will hold about a 7 inch wide bag plus all you pillows, blankets, goodies and all. Upstairs window is the way to go.

I agree with seatguru.com: 73A is the best seat. When they say "the bulkhead is miles away" believe it. With 73B fully reclined you can drive your car between their feet and the bulkhead. (If you can sneak your car past TSA.) 77A and 77K are also great.

The upper deck of a 747 is a wonderful flying experience. Don't miss your chance to enjoy it. ^
I fully agree, have flown NW#1 LAX-NRT in 73A and NRT-LAX in 4F and will do 73A for as long as NW has the 744!

If you have a rollerboard, put it downstairs or if you have time they can stow it behind 80K
Old Apr 24, 2008, 3:08 am

Programs: FB Plat lifetimer,BA, US, LH
I must disagree to the most here.

On the 744 10AB are the seats to go. Look yourself

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/4...nachbarnp5.jpg
Old Apr 24, 2008, 5:48 am

I just finished two trips to MNL within a three week period... Sat in 10A, 73A & 77A. Here are my thoughts.

10A: Wonderful seat, easy to get in and out without disturbing your seatmate, good window views, easy access to carry on luggage. Service is delivered in about the middle of the cabin (which is not bad), and there seems to be constant traffic to the Lav. (But the good thing is that the Lav is right there.) Best thing about 10A is the fact you are one of the first to deplane and if you just have carry one’s you can zoom through immigration & customs. Two drawbacks: One is the fact there is too much room between you and the bulkhead and I pretty much have to get out of my seat to get things that brought on board, and there is no real good place to store them when you are done with them, other then to store them in the overhead bin again. Second, it is MUCH busier on the main deck.

73A: Like 10A, a bunch of room to the bulkhead and easy access when your seatmate is fully reclined (which I personally like). That is where the similarities end. Like others have said, the upper deck is very quiet and private and the service is superb. The 2 FA's who work up there start at opposite ends of the cabin to serve meals and it is very efficient. You have to love the side bins as you can put all your crap in there to retrieve during the flight. Two drawbacks: First. You can be one of the last WBC passengers off the plane and by the time you get to the exit, "Y" class passengers are disembarking through the front door and you can get in a longer line to clear immigration & customs. Second there is a bin that can usually hold your carry on luggage upstairs but it is a real pain to haul it up and down the narrow stairs. (Leave it in the main deck bins)

77A: Like 73A lots of space between you and the row in front of you, all the upper deck goodies (peace & quiet / side bins), but the window is behind you when you are sitting up and it is a bit of a pain to look out. I try to avoid 77K, as I stated earlier, I like to be able to get out without bothering my seat mate and with the FA chair in front of you that takes away some space. Not a big deal but it is different than 77A.

Just my 2 cents, but if I had to rank first to last I choose 73A, 10A and then 77A. Enjoy your flight...
Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:38 pm

Programs: CO NW DL AA SPG Hyatt
upper deck for sure (not to be missed, at least try it once). window for sure to get the full effect flying and on the ground. K seat heading to Asia because u may see some nice views of Alaska coastline (depending on actual flight path of course, but most times i find theplane tracking just off the coast on and off). 77 (exit row uppder deck if u can get it. otherwise, my next favorite seat ever is 1A or K in the nose, best forward visibility from a window with the exteme curvature of the fuselage. ummm, getting hungry for flying just thinking about it again.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
It's been nice reading this thread. Thanks for all the information. Amazingly, it'll be only my first time flying NW internationally (having flown them domestically solely these past few years) and we'll be jetting in 73A/B per the advice here on the 744.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 3:10 pm

Programs: NW/DL GE, CO GE
Originally Posted by yauponaustin
upper deck for sure (not to be missed, at least try it once). window for sure to get the full effect flying and on the ground. K seat heading to Asia because u may see some nice views of Alaska coastline (depending on actual flight path of course, but most times i find theplane tracking just off the coast on and off). 77 (exit row uppder deck if u can get it. otherwise, my next favorite seat ever is 1A or K in the nose, best forward visibility from a window with the exteme curvature of the fuselage. ummm, getting hungry for flying just thinking about it again.
I have to echo the upper deck sentiments, and also agree that I'm now LONGING for a WBC upper deck trip to Asia after reading this thread. Sigh. Hopefully one will come this summer, because it's been a good few years!
Old Apr 24, 2008, 3:11 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
You wont regret it... lots of room! and great service from the FA's on the UD

Originally Posted by slippahs
It's been nice reading this thread. Thanks for all the information. Amazingly, it'll be only my first time flying NW internationally (having flown them domestically solely these past few years) and we'll be jetting in 73A/B per the advice here on the 744.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 1:36 pm

NW 747-400 Upper or Lower Deck/Best Seats in WBC [Merged Threads]

I'm getting ready to fly DTW-KIX (747-400 NW World Business). All things considered, what is better, the upper or lower deck, and why?
Old Aug 26, 2008, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K, Ex-DL Plat, SPG Plat, IC Plat, Hilton Gold
NWA doesnt operate any 747-100, they operate 747-200 but only in the freighter fleet.
Personally, I prefer the upper deck. Its a little more private, not as many people milling around and hopefully no crying kids either.
Down side, no overheads. It has a sidewall for luggage stowage and they are smaller than a typical overhead.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 5:44 pm

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Originally Posted by fedup flyer
NWA doesnt operate any 747-100, they operate 747-200 but only in the freighter fleet.
Personally, I prefer the upper deck. Its a little more private, not as many people milling around and hopefully no crying kids either.
Down side, no overheads. It has a sidewall for luggage stowage and they are smaller than a typical overhead.
They have 2 747-200's in charter use. Occasionally they are substituted for scheduled flights (most recently I believe they did some DTW-FRA or DTW-AMS flights)
Old Aug 26, 2008, 8:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Lifetime Platinum
As a kid, I always LOVED the upper deck of a Pan AM 747. But, I'd agree it's not appropriate if you have carry-on bags that might not fit the seat-side storage bins' more finite width. Also, there's the issue of lugging said bags up the (presumably) spiral steps.

I went into a restored 747 FC cabin recently at the Hiller Aviation museum in SF, and when I traversed the steps up, my first thought was what a pain that would be to lug my usual carry-on stuff up today. My second thought was, how in heck did Dad manage to get our stuff up there all those years ago :-)
Old Aug 26, 2008, 8:31 pm

I prefer the upper deck. It is more private. In addition to the luggage bins on the side of the seats, NW has a few storage closets on the upper deck. But it is hard to get to carry-ons that don't fit in the side bins. They may also have overhead storage. The stair case is not spiral on the 747-400, like the old 747=200s.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 9:36 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let's see if the readers of our Northwest Airlines forum can add to the discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by fedup flyer
Oh, that's funny. No kids or babies. I had two kids doing sprints back and forth a couple of weeks ago! I've been told to store my bags in the lower level luggage compartment before, so you don't always need to lug it upstairs.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:48 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
I'll be flying in the upperdeck of the B744 for the first time in October.

I will have two carry-ons, one laptop backpack and one rollerboard. If I board early, will I be able to store my rollerboard upstairs or do I have to leave it in the main cabin compartment? If so, where's the main cabin compartment located or is there an FA present by the stair to assist you with storing your luggage? I don't want to make it so obvious that I'm a rookie to the upperdeck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.