Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Long Layover at Atlanta (ATL): What to Do? Where to Eat?

Long Layover at Atlanta (ATL): What to Do? Where to Eat?

Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:05 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Depending upon your timing of arrival/departure, you can venture off site and go the Atlanta Aquarium or Coke World. About an hour drive each way. Just get a cheap rental car and have at it.
An hour? Maybe if there's a lot of traffic, in which case, MARTA is a lot quicker.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:17 am

At rush hour it might take an hour but I would take the MARTA as the Aquarium and Coca-Cola are next to each other and a five-block walk from Peachtree Center MARTA rail station which is 15-20 minute ride from the airport.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:23 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by amolkold
An hour? Maybe if there's a lot of traffic, in which case, MARTA is a lot quicker.
I was figuring in a bit of traffic. With out knowing the times, hard to say what traffic will be like through the Grady curves. Plus add a bit for getting the rental and returning it. But Marta is another option, forgot about it.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 2:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
MARTA is cheap and easy. The aquarium and coke museum are just off of Olympic Park, so don't miss a quick look around that either. There are also some restaurants around the area, but I don't think they dominate OFS at the airport.

When the Delta museum reopens on the Delta campus at ATL (not walkable from the terminal), that will be another option, although its opening hours before it closed for renovation were limited.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 2:54 am

Programs: DL FO, HH Gold
you could always catch a shower...

E or F -- catch a shower. That'd kill a bit of time.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 2:54 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by willis152
E or F -- catch a shower. That'd kill a bit of time.
Also in The Lounge in F if you have PP.

In fact, you could lounge hop, like ND76 did recently.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
You can try out the minute suites - neat concept

www.minutesuites.com
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I'll throw in another rec for Coke and the Aquarium. Both are very cool, and MARTA is just outside of domestic baggage claim.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Geezus...it's 43 pages long!!!!!
44 once this thread gets merged into it. Suck it up, Buttercup. You've got 10 hours to kill.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by misterbean
Start reading:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...where-eat.html

The MARTA is easy is you want to get downtown.
OP, definitely read this thread! Lots of useful information in here. Besides the fact that MARTA runs through some not so nice parts of Atlanta before arriving downtown, it really is very quick and inexpensive. There is a station at the Georgia Dome/World Congress Center that will put you right at the Coke Museum and Aquarium at Olympic Park (CNN Center is right there as well, the tour is interesting if you're into current events and have time to kill). ATL is my home and I still enjoy showing out of towners around because of the number of interesting and somewhat unique things to do!

Enjoy!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum
If you're looking for some good food, I recommend MARTA to the 10th St Midtown station and stop by Empire State South (1 block east). They're open for breakfast/lunch/dinner and it's at least as good as One Flew South.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by mr_burdell
If you're looking for some good food, I recommend MARTA to the 10th St Midtown station and stop by Empire State South (1 block east). They're open for breakfast/lunch/dinner and it's at least as good as One Flew South.
There are a couple unique restaurants around Atlanta that specialize in traditional or new southern cuisine. I haven't done this recently, but I'm sure others can suggest names.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are a couple unique restaurants around Atlanta that specialize in traditional or new southern cuisine. I haven't done this recently, but I'm sure others can suggest names.
I specifically suggested ESS because it's so close to the North/South MARTA line... if you want to try some other good restaurants, take the East line to Inman Park, or Decatur and there are several within walking distance of each station.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
MLK National Historic Site and Museum/Park and the King Center. I had a client in Atlanta for a while and if I was running early for my flight I would some times pop in. 10-15 minutes drive from the airport, IIRC. Not sure about public transit options. Well worth a look and IMHO more interesting than the Coke museum.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by abaheti
MLK National Historic Site and Museum/Park and the King Center. I had a client in Atlanta for a while and if I was running early for my flight I would some times pop in. 10-15 minutes drive from the airport, IIRC. Not sure about public transit options. Well worth a look and IMHO more interesting than the Coke museum.
There is a King Memorial MARTA station on the East line and soon to be a street car to the MLK site (or just walk from downtown, it's about a 30-45 minute walk each way and you can stop at Sweet Auburn Curb Market for lunch)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.