Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL's New Inflight Safety Video

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2008, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by 18sas
Oh man, you picked the wrong guy to make that joke about. Seatbelt Guy is a friend of mine as well.

I doubt anyone will make this mistake again, but just in case:

Many of us ATL people know lots of Delta employees. So, to anyone who wants to make fun of participants in the video, know that you do so at your own peril.
Hey - I call it like I see it... just kidding around really. If any offense was taken, I am pleased to edit my post.

TFD

Last edited by Task Force DL; Feb 22, 2008 at 5:15 pm
Old Feb 22, 2008, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaCustomerInsights
WOOPS! Sorry! You were the one taking up for me... Thanks for saying I look FINE.
Not only that...but you're dressed well too! Actually, and not that I'm obsessive compulsive or anything , but I'm pretty sure that you are visible earlier in the video when they show Deltalina from behind the first time and then later during the split screen. However in those shots you are wearing a jacket and tie... Did they make you take those off for the seat belt fastening part?

As a total aside, all the pax in this video are dressed WAY WAY better than on any average/typical flight... I mean have y'all SEEN what people wear on the airplanes now a days?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 5:39 pm

For Delta Freak....

I asked a bunch of questions back in post #70 on page 5 which you haven't answered...yet you seem to still be responding to the less then positive posts....hmm...

so to re-iterate in a shorter post I was wondering

1) Is it possible to get a copy/mp3 of JUST the background music/sound track?

2) Do you work for Delta, or for the company that produced the video, or did Delta do this "in-house"?

3) How much of the video was improvised vs scripted? For instance the finger wag, etc...

4) How much say did you all have over how the employees were dressed/groomed? As I pointed out in another post, "DeltaCustomerInsight" is seen with a coat and tie, but they are missing during the seat belt operating demo...

5) During the "turbulence" was that just a camera shake, or did you add that effect in during post processing/editing? It is actually quite subtle and I'm impressed with the attention to detail!

So if you wouldn't mind some short answers, I'm really curious. If you can't answer due to job/confidentiality issues, I'd understand...but just SAY that..otherwise I can turn negative if that would illicit a response!

Maybe there should have been a "making of" video!

Last edited by Burj; Feb 22, 2008 at 5:46 pm
Old Feb 22, 2008, 6:05 pm

Programs: SkyMiles
Answers...I have answers...

Originally Posted by Burj
I asked a bunch of questions back in post #70 on page 5 which you haven't answered...yet you seem to still be responding to the less then positive posts....hmm...

so to re-iterate in a shorter post I was wondering

1) Is it possible to get a copy/mp3 of JUST the background music/sound track?

2) Do you work for Delta, or for the company that produced the video, or did Delta do this "in-house"?

3) How much of the video was improvised vs scripted? For instance the finger wag, etc...

4) How much say did you all have over how the employees were dressed/groomed? As I pointed out in another post, "DeltaCustomerInsight" is seen with a coat and tie, but they are missing during the seat belt operating demo...

5) During the "turbulence" was that just a camera shake, or did you add that effect in during post processing/editing? It is actually quite subtle and I'm impressed with the attention to detail!

So if you wouldn't mind some short answers, I'm really curious. If you can't answer due to job/confidentiality issues, I'd understand...but just SAY that..otherwise I can turn negative if that would illicit a response!

Maybe there should have been a "making of" video!
1.) Yes...we'll post the music score on the Delta blog Monday.

2.) I'm a member of Delta's Product Development team and the video was produced by Mirror Films, a Hollywood-based agency.

3.) The only improvised part was when the F/A says, "You cannot smoke, I'm so sorry." The finger wag (which is eliciting a HUGE amount of feedback) was scripted from the start.

4.) Everyone was asked to dress in business casual wear. While many customers are casually dressed on flights today, it doesn't look good on film.

5.) The "unexpected rough air" was a camera shake and we also pysically shook the seat in the lower corner of the video. You can just see it for a second before we cut from that shot.

6.) A making of...we actually were thinking of doing a blooper reel. It was two loooooong 16 hour days on the set. We had over 100 DL employees who participated - on screen and behind the scenes. It was pretty amazing to see the teamwork everyone exhibited during the shoot!

I have to say it's amazing that an airline safety video is generating this much buzz...it's really got people talking...here on Flyertalk, on YouTube and on Airliners.net.

The whole point of this video was to get people to take notice and pay attention to the onboard safety video. If the reaction in the social media space is any indication, we should have plenty of eyeballs tuned to the screens once this video is onboard.

Keep the comments coming...positive, negative and everything in between!
Old Feb 22, 2008, 6:22 pm

Thanks for the answers! I look forward to getting the soundtrack on Monday.

So what has the reaction from the higher-ups at Delta been?

I think one reason it has gotten a lot of reaction is because it is different, love it or hate, it is different.

Not only is it different in tone, BUT the other different/cool safety videos all tend to be CGI (Virgin Atlantic) or Animated (King Fisher, Virgin America), where as this video has real/live people (granted a fairly well dressed/attractive bunch of people...but flesh and blood none-the less).

So what IS the status of the video? I thought it was playing NOW as part of the roll-out of the new 777?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Thanks for the answers! I look forward to getting the soundtrack on Monday.

So what has the reaction from the higher-ups at Delta been?

I think one reason it has gotten a lot of reaction is because it is different, love it or hate, it is different.

Not only is it different in tone, BUT the other different/cool safety videos all tend to be CGI (Virgin Atlantic) or Animated (King Fisher, Virgin America), where as this video has real/live people (granted a fairly well dressed/attractive bunch of people...but flesh and blood none-the less).

So what IS the status of the video? I thought it was playing NOW as part of the roll-out of the new 777?
Burj - I agree with you 100%. DL has done a great job here. Kingfisher still gets my vote for #1. Their nice mix of anime and real flesh-and-blood hotties makes me pay attention every time.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 8:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, UA Platinum
I haven't seen it. Is it on international flights also?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: SkyMiles
It's not onboard...

Originally Posted by trvloftn
I haven't seen it. Is it on international flights also?
...yet. It will first appear on our new 777-200LRs and then roll out to the rest of the fleet in April.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFreak
6.) A making of...we actually were thinking of doing a blooper reel. It was two loooooong 16 hour days on the set. We had over 100 DL employees who participated - on screen and behind the scenes. It was pretty amazing to see the teamwork everyone exhibited during the shoot!
"We actually were thinking"...as in past tense but decided not to?

It would be really cool to see a blooper reel! Considering you have the footage, hopefully just editing some of it together wouldn't be that hard...

Thanks again for the answers/info...
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:20 pm

Programs: Varying levels of elite and non-elite across several vendors.
I coach voice-overs for a living so the weird inflections mildly irk me ("...your tray table IS put away..")

But very nice. Delta remains the only mainline that seems to really get what re-branding the right way can do.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 2:25 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Not only that...but you're dressed well too! Actually, and not that I'm obsessive compulsive or anything , but I'm pretty sure that you are visible earlier in the video when they show Deltalina from behind the first time and then later during the split screen. However in those shots you are wearing a jacket and tie... Did they make you take those off for the seat belt fastening part?
I did take off the coat and tie for that scene. And I actually changed clothes for the second seat belt. I don't even think I noticed myself before the seatbelt scene... you've got sharp eyes!
Old Feb 23, 2008, 3:37 am

Programs: Delta DM
So how do you know all these people? I take it you work for/with Delta? Are you in the video too?
Nope, I live close to Virgina Ave and have a few friends that work on that street
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by iCorpRoadie
Nope, I live close to Virgina Ave and have a few friends that work on that street
"Virgina" Ave, wow quite a street name! And you have friends who "work on that street"...as in street walkers? Hmm...is this stuff you should be talking about on a public forum??

Seriously I assume you mean that Virginia Ave is where Delta has corporate offices and you know the people who work there?
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by DeltaCustomerInsights
I did take off the coat and tie for that scene. And I actually changed clothes for the second seat belt. I don't even think I noticed myself before the seatbelt scene... you've got sharp eyes!
Well I always notice people who are looking fine...

So is that you with both seatbelts? Did they actually have two different seats with two different belts, or did they just have a demo belt of the second type that they had you drape across you waist?

As for having sharp eyes...it is actually more a curse sometimes. I find it hard to enjoy movies because little things pop out and bother me.

During one of the Capote movies their is a big dramatic scene where he is on the phone with Harper Lee and I almost lost it because each time they zoomed in on his face you could easily see the modern modular phone jack at the bottom of the receiver of his 1950s phone!
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:36 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Well I always notice people who are looking fine...

So is that you with both seatbelts? Did they actually have two different seats with two different belts, or did they just have a demo belt of the second type that they had you drape across you waist?
Same seat, we just changed out the belt. (I believe that the second belt is the kind of belt used in the new 777s Business Elite cabin.)

Actually, the first belt was also swapped out to make sure it was clean, shiny, and spotless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.