Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MSP:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 35 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (35 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)

Generic online and offline connection times:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 40 minutes
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

Between DL and another carrier: 3 hours 30 minutes
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I wonder how good the VDB offers were today. I stayed well away from MSP, of course.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:43 am

Would a 41 minute connection be doable? I would be flying PIA-MSP-YWG in the middle of next month. I would be leaving PIA at 6 am so that flight should be leaving on time. There is a later flight to YWG a couple of hours later, but the earlier flight would work better. If I did the shorter connection, I would make sure to have a bag that didn't need to be gate checked.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Certainly doable, and it's a connection I would book. You will have to move reasonably quickly. Worst case scenario, you miss your flight and catch the next one to YWG.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by spd476
Would a 41 minute connection be doable? I would be flying PIA-MSP-YWG in the middle of next month. I would be leaving PIA at 6 am so that flight should be leaving on time. There is a later flight to YWG a couple of hours later, but the earlier flight would work better. If I did the shorter connection, I would make sure to have a bag that didn't need to be gate checked.
That's doable with almost any connection at MSP. Do you know the aircraft types for your flights? If you're going from mainline to CRJ, you may have to go on a fairly far walk, but assuming no delay on the front end I'd think it would still be possible regardless.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Carpboy823
That's doable with almost any connection at MSP. Do you know the aircraft types for your flights? If you're going from mainline to CRJ, you may have to go on a fairly far walk, but assuming no delay on the front end I'd think it would still be possible regardless.
I bet this is a CRJ to CRJ connection, so I bet it's just a long walk down the C-A-B concourse. Definitely doable, but bring your walking shoes.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
I bet this is a CRJ to CRJ connection, so I bet it's just a long walk down the C-A-B concourse. Definitely doable, but bring your walking shoes.
You are correct. I go from a CRJ-200 to a CRJ-900. I figured the gates would be fairly close. I've never actually connected in MSP, but I've been there a few times, so I somewhat know the airport.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Would a 41 minute connection be doable?
I really dont understand these doable threads, regardless of the airport involved. Why would DL schedule a connection that wasnt doable?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I guess I don't have a leg to stand on but I just got a schedule change notice this weekend for an MSP connection that is now right at 30 minutes (arrive 19:45, depart 20:15). The connection I originally booked was 42 minutes, and my departure time from the origin didn't change, still 14:05. Anyone think I can get this moved to a different connection? I can get something via SLC with a 40 minute connection on the same day. The booking is a low level award ticket and I am a PM.

I'm still 200+ days from departure so maybe I will just sit on it for now and hope they change it again.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
You have nothing to lose by calling and asking; I've had success in similar situations (schedule change caused legal but shorter than I'd like connections on an award ticket.)
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My hesitation would be the fact that you're connecting to a transborder flight. DL considers there to be international, so the rule techinically is that you must be on board 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time. Obviously, this isn't usually enforced, but it could be if the flight were overbooked.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Please help with options:
1. BDL-MSP-LAX Sunday evening flights, 31 min connect in MSP
2. BDl-DTW-LAX Monday, early morning flights, 40 min connect in DTW
I prefer evening flights as the AM flight at 0555 means walking up in the middle of the night.
But if the added 9 min of connect time means less chance of misconnect, it might be worth it, assuming DTW is at least as easy as MSP is to run between gates.
I have to be at work Monday afternoon, so misconnecting is particularly dangerous.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by weezl
Please help with options:
1. BDL-MSP-LAX Sunday evening flights, 31 min connect in MSP
2. BDl-DTW-LAX Monday, early morning flights, 40 min connect in DTW
I prefer evening flights as the AM flight at 0555 means walking up in the middle of the night.
But if the added 9 min of connect time means less chance of misconnect, it might be worth it, assuming DTW is at least as easy as MSP is to run between gates.
I have to be at work Monday afternoon, so misconnecting is particularly dangerous.
It doesn't get any easier than connecting at DTW, but if you prefer Sunday flights go with MSP. Even if you misconnect you are at a hub needing to go to LAX. If you can't get on a nonstop on Monday morning they can route you through SLC or SEA and probably DTW and ATL for that matter. You are going to have really bad luck not getting to LAX by the afternoon on Monday.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Thanks, will go with MSP. I hope they will put me up in a hotel for Sunday night if I do misconnect.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't count on DL giving you a hotel if you misconnect.

Are you sure these are the only possible DL connections from BDL to LAX on DL? There are more than two DL flights daily from BDL [IIRC the current schedule has three or four BDL-MSP nonstops every day], and getting from any DL hub (including ATL, although there's a slight chance that ATL wouldn't be a legal routing) to LAX should be easy.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
I'm scheduled to arrive on DL806 from SFO>MSP at 06.20 tomorrow morning, and my next flight DL1995 from MSP>MKE is scheduled to depart at 06.50! Surely this isn't legal?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.