Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MSP:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 35 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (35 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)

Generic online and offline connection times:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 40 minutes
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

Between DL and another carrier: 3 hours 30 minutes
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GBadger
While I agree that MSP is well signed and easy to get around, it is also quite large! A hike from one end of the terminal will take 20 minutes, even with the tram.
It takes 10, F14-B16, if you've got a bit of spring in your step.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by raehl311
It takes 10, F14-B16, if you've got a bit of spring in your step.
I agree, but not with a 2-year old!

(and only 5 min. if I'm wearing running shoes and a backpack)
Old Jun 19, 2008, 8:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
30 minutes is often possible, but I've also had many flights through MSP where 30 minute connections have not been possible even with on-time arrivals at MSP.

Just arriving at one extreme of the airport to another (e.g., the further reaches of A or B gates to G2 or F15; or opposite direction) would be quite the rush, especially if they stop passengers from boarding 0-10 minutes before the scheduled departure time if not already at the gate. Add in the possibility that the airside shuttle is out of service or otherwise having an issue of some sort and you'll be hoping that you can afford to be late to get to your final destination.

If you are in the back of a large plane on arrival into MSP, expect even less time.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:28 am

International Connection in MSP

Got a connection question, ATL to Puerto Vallarta connecting in MSP.

I have 2 award seats on hold through Delta Skymiles for April '09, but the flights are on NWA. Flights are: NWA 1429 ATL to MSP, departing 6:10 AM, arriving in MSP at 7:51, then NWA 1601 to PVR departing at 9:10 AM. Is the 1 hour 19 min layover in MSP enough time to make the connection? I'm unfamiliar with MSP so dunno if the on-hold schedule is good or no good.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:07 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by Train
Got a connection question, ATL to Puerto Vallarta connecting in MSP.

I have 2 award seats on hold through Delta Skymiles for April '09, but the flights are on NWA. Flights are: NWA 1429 ATL to MSP, departing 6:10 AM, arriving in MSP at 7:51, then NWA 1601 to PVR departing at 9:10 AM. Is the 1 hour 19 min layover in MSP enough time to make the connection? I'm unfamiliar with MSP so dunno if the on-hold schedule is good or no good.
You should have more than enough time to make your connection. Considering your origination point (ATL), connecting in MSP should be a piece of cake!
Old Oct 12, 2008, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Shouldn't be a problem. You might walk a little bit, but 1h19 is more than enough time.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I haven't been through MSP in a while but once had a 50 min connection due to a delay on my incoming flight and made it with a lot of minutes to spare on my international flight to NRT.

You should be okay
Old Oct 13, 2008, 8:29 am

Thanks to all for verifying that we should be OK.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 9:20 am

Programs: NW GE
Not a good sign for the NW-DL merger if the ATL natives wonder whether a 1:20 layover in MSP for a connection from domestic gate to domestic gate is enough I routinely come in from YXE, clear customs, clear security and am at my next gate (in the B concourse, usually) in less than 30 mins.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Lyaec350
Not a good sign for the NW-DL merger if the ATL natives wonder whether a 1:20 layover in MSP for a connection from domestic gate to domestic gate is enough I routinely come in from YXE, clear customs, clear security and am at my next gate (in the B concourse, usually) in less than 30 mins.
Just to set the record straight, my question has nothing to do with worrying about the NW-DL merger/ATL.

I'm not an ATL native and don't even live there. I just happen to be there visiting relatives and from there on to PVR. (I live in the North East).

Thanks all!
Old Oct 14, 2008, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Hometown bias

FWIW

"B" Concourse is truly the boonies at MSP. I always feel for the super-short haul folks who fly in and out of there. You won't be one of of them!

But walkways are big and roomy and the tram to A/B/C makes the mile or so fly by if you are headed out that way.

An easy airport to trudge through...you'll be fine. You can even grab a brew or too. It is vacation isn't it?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:27 am

Programs: QF Gold
Connection Time too short?

Hello.
Flying from SEA to MSP, then to LHR. I have only 44 minutes at MSP, is this enough time to make the connection, or should I be asking to take an earlier flight?
Thanks
Grant
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You're legal, but clearly on the tight side.

Minimum connect times that allow you sufficient time between flights are factored into Northwest's reservation system. If you are concerned about the connect time between flights, please ask about it when you make your reservation. Northwest's minimum connect times* are:

City Domestic to Domestic (US50) Connection Domestic (US50) to International Connection International to Domestic (US50) Connection International to International Connection
Detroit 30 min 40 min. 75 min. 90 min.
Memphis 25 min. 30 min. 60 min. 60 min.
Minneapolis/St. Paul 30 min. 40 min. 75 min. 75 min.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA/EP, PC/RA
you should be fine since you don't have to clear customs on domestic to international. in my experience, flight from SEA usually come to the F or G gates, and LHR flight gates are pretty close by.

However, if the flight your booked on is the only one of the day, which assuming you're flying NW is true, you might have some trouble if you miss the connection because of a delay. but in my experience, SEA is pretty good for being on time.

Depends if you have somewhere important to be the next day in LHR or not, personally i wouldn't mind flying through AMS or somthing, i'd take the risk
Old Mar 22, 2009, 7:19 pm

Programs: NW GE
40 min connection in MSP International to Domestic

Is this legal? Just got a schedule change for my flight booked YXE-MSP-SFO on June 21 same YXE-MSP flight arriving 5:15 but moving my MSP-SFO flight up from a 7pm departure to a 5:55pm departure. Plat line says that 40 minutes is legal for International to Domestic connection in MSP and as such they are unable to change the flight, as I used miles to book the ticket. Is this correct? There is a perfect YXE-SLC-SFO set of flights that leaves at the same time but gets in to SFO 2 hrs earlier that I would love to switch to... should I just call back and try again or is this a lost cause?

Side note, I didn't realize that DL even flew YXE-SLC but assume it is a new route or something? Equip shows as CRJ operated by Skywest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.