Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MSP:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 35 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (35 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)

Generic online and offline connection times:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 40 minutes
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

Between DL and another carrier: 3 hours 30 minutes
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Old Nov 11, 2003, 2:34 pm

Programs: WP Silver
Need info on a connection in MSP

I'm planning a trip in January IAH-MSP-HNL. The connection time in MSP is 39 minutes (or I can wait 3-1/2 hrs. with no WC membership). Does anyone know where the gates will probably be and whether or not a 39-minute connection is feasible in MSP? Thanks for any help!
Old Nov 11, 2003, 2:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond
Generally if they sell you the ticket, you're okay.

Per This page on nwa.com, it appears you are one minute short of the minimum MSP connection time (40 min). I think you'll be okay....many flights arrive early, anyway.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 2:57 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
It may not be pretty but you should be OK. A few hours in MSP is not that bad. Lots to shops to check out, some restaurants are decent.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
If you're flying beyond Dec 17th and on the earlier MSP-HNL flight you should be okay since there's always a back-up later flight.

If you really think it might be an issue, you can always standby for an earlier IAH-MSP flight, if there is one.

Aloha
Old Nov 11, 2003, 3:28 pm

Makes sense, slippahs. I'm just feeling a little anxious because I had a short connection in MSP last year and missed my connection. And missing a connection to HNL would be a bit bigger deal than missing one to FSD. Well, I can always hang out at Famous Dave's and eat barbecue for 3 hours.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 6:59 pm

fortuna, welcome to FT. With no congestion or WX probs, you won't have a problem ... esp. if you explain your connection issue to an FA on the inbound to MSP, learn which door will be used to deplane, and take the closest available seat to that door.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Just wear comfortable shoes and be sure to work out before your trip. That's what I do before any MSP connection.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 9:22 pm
azj

The flights to HNL depart from the F concourse about 99% of the time. NW organizes their equipment pretty well in MSP, but your IAH flight will probably be an airbus and in that case you could park anywhere. THe airbusses usually are grouped on the end of the G concourse, end of the C concourse and at the beginning of the F concourse. Airbusses seem to never park on the D concourse. It's really a crap shoot with an airbus, but the DC10 will almost definitely depart from F. On the off chance, it will depart from one of the first G gates. To answer your question... you'll be fine.

AZJ
Old Nov 11, 2003, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
although 3 hrs is fine in msp (so much to do there), i frequently have the 40min connections and never have problems...

nw is also very good about rebooking on other flights if you are going to misconnect. in my experience, you are either early on nw or very late...no in between.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 11:40 pm

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
You did not state whether your flight from IAH-MSP was on CO metal or NW metal. That could have some bearing on where you park. I think all the responses so far have been on the assumption that you were on a NW jet. I think you will be fine either way. I have flown MSP-IAH on CO metal, but I don't remember where it was parked.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 11:49 pm

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
All CO flights arrive/depart on the E Concourse at MSP.
NW flights could arrive or depart anywhere, but it is true that HNL flights generally depart from the F concourse, and occasionally from G-1 through G-8.

I have a 33-minute (legal) connection at MSP next week, and I am concerned but not losing sleep over it! It could be a long hike from someplace like F-13 all the way to C-25!!! I hope that the tram on the C Concourse opens very soon!!!!!!!
Old Nov 12, 2003, 9:14 am

I just did the MSP-HNL flight last month 10/7-16/03 and there was practically no traffic @ the airprot be takeoff. Don't get me wrong, there were people but no one will get in your way if your on a mission. The flight left from F10 in corner of F concourse. I did a jaunt from F to G (to see a friend) and back walking time was about 10 mins total. Your gonna wann book it as they flight started loading about 30-35 mins be4 departure.

------------------
Sorry mama I gots to get all the free miles I can.

Brian
Old Nov 12, 2003, 9:57 am

Thanks for all the great info, everybody. I will be on NW metal all the way and I'll be up front so I should be able to get off quickly. I think I'll just plan to get in from IAH for the earlier flight to HNL and take my chances on having to take the later one if something happens. Also, thanks for the welcome. I started reading this forum a couple of months ago and you can find just about anything you need to know on here. I'm planning on making silver next year and your posts have helped me immensely in figuring out the fine print on it all!
Old Jul 22, 2004, 2:12 pm
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
Sanity check please on international connection at MSP

I've been invited to two weddings back in England, on consecutive weekends in September. Absolutely the only way I can fit these into my vacation allowance (pause for grumble about barbaric American vacation allowances) and have a decent chance of getting to the first wedding on time is to fly from SNA-MSP-LGW, with a 84 minute connection time. Is this realistically achievable, and will it significantly improve my chances if I don't check any luggage?
Old Jul 22, 2004, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I can't imagine any reason why an 84 minute connection domestic-int'l in MSP would fail under normal circumstances. Isn't the minimum conection time there about 45 minutes?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.