FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Amsterdam (AMS): The Definitive Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/75647-minimum-connection-transfer-time-amsterdam-ams-definitive-thread.html)

airlinemileswhore Jun 11, 03 1:12 pm

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Amsterdam (AMS): The Definitive Thread

i am planning a trip this fall to rome. i am flying from dtw to ams and connecting to fco. the time between flights at ams is 1hour and 15 mins. is that enough time for a connection in ams?

bhatnasx Jun 11, 03 1:20 pm

That should be plenty of time. AMS is pretty well laid out and the NW/KLM section is relatively easy to navigate.

airlinemileswhore Jun 11, 03 2:01 pm

will i have to go through customs?

MN international flyer Jun 11, 03 3:19 pm

EU customs - no bags to re-check though.

shedwannabe Jun 25, 03 7:07 am

AMS connection time, procedures

I'm connecting in AMS from a DTW (NW) flight to a VCE (KL) flight. Connection is 75 mins. Since I'm just connecting at AMS, do I go thru passport control there or in VCE? (or both?)
Do I get my luggage checked at AMS or at VCE?

So is 75 mins plenty of time (assuming flight is on time)? I'm sitting at the way-back of the bus on DTW-AMS so it may be a while before I get off the DC-10....

AviationFan Jun 25, 03 8:33 am

You go through passport control (= immigrations) in Amsterdam. The checkpoint is between concourse E (where you'll arrive on NW metal) and the part of the terminal called "Schengen" (referring to the countries of the European Union that allow seemless travel between them). From my experience, depending on the time of day the wait can be anywhere from nothing to 15 minutes. Most of the time they have different lines for people with European passports and everybody else, so make sure you join the line that is right for you - you don't want to be turned away after waiting for a while in the wrong line.

Your checked luggage will go all the way to VCE (that's the plan, at least) without you ever seeing it in Amsterdam. Consequently, the customs inspection doesn't happen before you get to your final destination. I haven't been to VCE myself, but in most European airports the inspection is rather informal, if you even talk to a customs officer at all. They usually have two exits from the baggage claim area, one that says "nothing to declare" (in green color), the other one for people bringing in items that need to be declared (colored red). More than likely, you'll find signs posted in the baggage claim area that tell you what can and what cannot be brought into the country for free. By the way, this whole procedure is very different when you come back to the US from overseas, but you probably already know that.

75 minutes should be more than enough time to connect. I have flown through Amsterdam more than a dozen times in the last few years and never needed that much time. And the difference between the first and the last row of seats in the DC-10 shouldn't be more than maybe five minutes.

Enjoy your trip!

- Martin

chrisny2 Jun 25, 03 8:53 am

I'm connecting this fall LHR-AMS-DTW and I have 4 hours in Amsterdam. Can I go out through passport control to explore the surroundings for an hour or so or will I have to stay inside the international transfer area? Any suggestions or advice?

shedwannabe Jun 25, 03 10:52 am

Aviation fan

And I leave from CID! I live in Iowa City. Hot, innit!

AviationFan Jun 25, 03 11:11 am

chrisny2:

When you arrive in AMS from London, you'll be in the "Schengen" area - in other words, you'll still need to go through passport control to get to the gate for your intercontinental flight. I believe the only restriction as far as moving around the airport goes is that once you have gone through passport control (to the E and F gates) you need to stay in that area. The reason I say this is when you go through passport control (in either direction), they look at your boarding pass for your (connecting) flight. Not sure if they would let you go through unless you are catching a flight on the other side of passport control.

With four hours to spare, you may even be able to go into the city of Amsterdam by bus or train. Haven't tried it myself, but if that interests you you should search this forum for postings by others. Or if you are into art, there is a small museum in the intercontinental part of the terminal that shows some work of Rembrandt and others. Look at http://www.schiphol.nl/ for more information on what to do at Schiphol airport.

shedwannabe:

How small the world is! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

SAT Lawyer Jun 25, 03 11:29 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chrisny2:
I'm connecting this fall LHR-AMS-DTW and I have 4 hours in Amsterdam. Can I go out through passport control to explore the surroundings for an hour or so or will I have to stay inside the international transfer area? Any suggestions or advice?</font>
In case you'd rather visit central Amsterdam instead of hanging around Schiphol airport during your four-hour layover (why do I suspect this inquiry is forthcoming?), please check out this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum35/HTML/006260.html

Norri Jun 25, 03 2:00 pm

Actually arriving from LHR you will be in the international are not Schengen.
However there should be no problem to go through into the other area if you want to visit Amsterdam. It takes about 30mins from the airport to Central station in the heart of Amsterdam.
Well worth a visit even if only a couple of hours.

SDF_Traveler Jun 26, 03 10:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AviationFan:
chrisny2:

When you arrive in AMS from London, you'll be in the "Schengen" area - in other words, you'll still need to go through passport control to get to the gate for your intercontinental flight.
</font>
Actually the UK is not part of Schengen. It's the EU minus UK & Ireland PLUS Norway & Iceland, IIRC. (UK wants to control their own borders thus no Schengen - and Ireland because you can freely move between UK & Ireland. As far as Iceland & Norway, they are part of the Nordic free movement area, thus their inclusion in the Schengen treaty).

Arriving from London - chrisny2, you will be in the International Area (likely the lower level of Pier D - the upper level is Schengen). As the you will be in the International area, you can just make your way over to Pier E for your NW flight to DTW.

With four hours, it might be cutting it close to get into the city. The boarding time on the NW flight will likely be 90 minutes prior, plus you must clear secondary security at the gate. You can probably make it into the city for an hour, but you'd almost be turning around once you got into the city.

There's many things to do at Schiphol and a four hour layover should go by in no time.

Best,

SDF_Traveler

[edited to correct typo]
------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

[This message has been edited by SDF_Traveler (edited 06-26-2003).]

[This message has been edited by SDF_Traveler (edited 06-26-2003).]

Andy100 Feb 16, 04 9:05 am

1 hr connection time in AMS?

I am flying DTW-AMS-BOM all on NW metal. I have a layover of about an hour in AMS.. just wondering if an hour is enough. Thanks!

kyushuman Feb 16, 04 9:09 am

i just had a 65-minute connection flying MSP-AMS-BLQ, and it was not a problem. The flight arrived about 10 minutes early, and I went thru immigration to the EU in about 30 seconds. I even had 15 minutes to stop in the lounge for a coffee and a snack!
As you will be heading out of the EU, you wont even have to go thru immigration. The only potential trouble for you would be a delay of the flight into AMS of more than an hour.
good luck!

UpgradeMe Feb 16, 04 9:10 am

Yes.
http://www.nwa.com/travel/timetable/help.pdf

fromYXU Feb 16, 04 9:38 am

65 minutes is plenty of time. Be aware that the airport is quite spread out. It can be quite a hike from one end to another.

One thing to keep in mind on the AMS-DTW/MSP/MEM return is the need for secondary checks at the gate. Agents there will screen you (and it can be quite picky) before being allowed in the gate area. It can be time consuming.

Yaatri Feb 16, 04 1:14 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Andy100:
I am flying DTW-AMS-BOM all on NW metal. I have a layover of about an hour in AMS.. just wondering if an hour is enough. Thanks!</font>
Going to Bombay, it should be enough. Coming back west to the US, 1 hour connection time in AMS would be tight, since NW's security procedures are rather time consuming. You will make the flight, but count on standing in the lines for a while.

SteveinA2 Feb 16, 04 4:48 pm

I've done the same flight, but booked on the earlier trip out of DTW. After a night flight having time to have a shower and change clothes before the day flight to BOM was very nice. 5 hours to Bombay and you will appreciate the advice and wish your seatmate did the same!

SDF_Traveler Feb 16, 04 6:15 pm

I actually have a similar question here, but will be flying back to the USA with a 55 minute connection in AMS.

I'll be arriving on a NW coded Malev flight from BUD and connecting to a NW flight (NW 37 AMS-BOS) to the US.

In the past I've had no problems making tight connections going back to the states, but it's always been on KL metal (secondary screening to enter the departure gate in pier F, but no ICTS interview).

As I'll be on NW metal this time, I know that screening to enter the departure gate and the ICTS interviews will come into play.

Does anyone know what pier the Malev flights pull into? I know that my NW flight to BOS will likely be departing out of pier E. Being that I'll be coming in from BUD I presume it should be a direct international to international connection.

Last but not least, I'm ticketed on the Malev flight as a NW passenger (as it has a NW codeshare # on it). As NW did the ticketing and it's all on one ticket, I presume the 55 minutes is legal?

Worst case scenario I figure I should be protected by NW being they did the ticketing, all flights are on one ticket (paper ticket), and all flights have NW numbers... However, 55 minutes sounds like it's pushing it, especially if my inbound is running late.

Anyone know at what point NW closes boarding for connecting pax at AMS?

Best,

SDF_Traveler

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

Threy Feb 17, 04 5:24 am

SDF_Traveler, you should be fine.

IIRC the Boston flight leaves Schiphol around 2 p.m. and normally from the E concourse.

The Malev flight will come in at either the D concourse ( non Schengen level ) or especially around your time of arrival at the E concourse ( E concourse is mainly used for US bound flights in the morning hours, but after most of the birds are gone, it is also used for "non schengen" flights from Europe )

So if you are lucky you have a 2 minute walk from one E gate to the other !

SDF_Traveler Feb 17, 04 2:30 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Threy:
SDF_Traveler, you should be fine.

IIRC the Boston flight leaves Schiphol around 2 p.m. and normally from the E concourse.

The Malev flight will come in at either the D concourse ( non Schengen level ) or especially around your time of arrival at the E concourse ( E concourse is mainly used for US bound flights in the morning hours, but after most of the birds are gone, it is also used for "non schengen" flights from Europe )

So if you are lucky you have a 2 minute walk from one E gate to the other !
</font>
I was thinking the Malev flight would likely come in on the C/D concourse (pier) on the lower (non-Schengen) level, which would just leave me with a walk to E. However, if it pulls into E, that would be excellent.

I suspect as long as my inbound is on-time, everything should be in good shape. Fortunately I have a longer layover on my outbound so that I can enjoy Schiphol for a couple of hours, visit the lounge, and have a look at duty-free.

Cheers,

SDF_Traveler

------------------

inagaddadavida Feb 12, 05 7:53 am

AMS Connection

I am looking at a routing ORF-DTW-AMS-FCO, and am wondering if it is feasable to make a 1 hour intl connection in AMS? Will I have to go through immigration there, or when I arrive in Rome, or both? Sorry for the newbie question:)

kyushuman Feb 12, 05 8:18 am

Originally Posted by inagaddadavida
I am looking at a routing ORF-DTW-AMS-FCO, and am wondering if it is feasable to make a 1 hour intl connection in AMS? Will I have to go through immigration there, or when I arrive in Rome, or both? Sorry for the newbie question:)

I know that the "official" minimum connecting time is about 50 minutes. I have a 50-minute cnx MSP-AMS-IST next week, and if nwa.com sells you the ticket, it's a legal connection (as far as I know!). I've done this one a few times, and it hasn't been a problem.
That said, if you miss the connection, I know KLM staff are notoriously "by the book" at AMS, so I'm guessing you're stuck with the next flight to FCO on KL, even if it's several hours away. The good thing about that is that there are several flights a day to FCO. You're lucky it's not somewhere like Moscow, with only 1x a day.
As for Immigration: For my IST flight, I won't go through Immigration in AMS, since Turkey isn't in the EU. But you will go thru immigration--though passport lines have always (IMO) been about 0-5 minutes long. I think you'll be fine, as long as you don't expect KLM to hold your flight if your first one was running late.
Have fun in Rome!

fromYXU Feb 12, 05 8:47 am

Not a problem if everything is on time. Recently had 50-60 min each way in AMS (AMS-MSP-VIE). Actually had to go to B terminal. You will go through passport checks, but that usually takes minutes.The only issue is length of line. On the return flight you will go through passport checks again but the process is very efficient (do they even look at you passport???). The major issue for me is the walking - it's a long way to walk anywhere in AMS! So, I suggest that you have your AMS-FCO boarding passes ready, sit in front (WBC is best!), and move fast. You should not have any problems making the connection. But, no time for shopping!

ermdjdsj Feb 12, 05 8:51 am

Or, you might get unlucky and have a combination of a) a 15-minute delayed arrival of your flight into AMS and then b) painfully slow deplaning while an ancient gentleman with a cane exited first, walked VERY Sloooowly in the middle of the aisle and no one could pass him; c) a 20 minute wait line for passport and immigration, and d) a 15-minute walk to your connecting gait, even if you walk briskly and/or run over four-abreast families on the way

This happened to me last year. 50-60 minutes is too close for my blood pressure comfort level, thanks, unless you don't care about missing a flight (I cared a lot).

Recently I'd booked an international itinerary allowing about two hours time between my flight into AMS from Berlin and my international flight out to MSP, connecting to SJC. NW/KLM sent me a computerized notice I'd been moved from my originally scheduled flight to MSP had been moved to an earlier flight with only 50 minutes connection time because my final connection into SJC had been cancelled. I told them no way could I count on making that short connection in AMS and I had to get back home that day and couldn't risk missing the international flight, so I suggested a reroute into SFO instead of SJC. They wanted to make me pay $200 for the "change." I fussed and told them I would never have booked a 50-minute connection in AMS in the first place, so finally after going through the supervisor they did the reroute without charge (leaving me a nice two hours to connect).

ani90 Feb 12, 05 9:46 am

Try sit as near to the front of the plane as possible as in tight connection avoiding the extra 10 to 15 minute wait to disembark from the rear of the plane can make the difference.

ewj Feb 12, 05 10:44 am

One hour is more then enough. NWA (at least from MSP) always arrives 15-25 minutes early to the gate. The port to FCO is a bit away but is doable walking in 10 minutes.

You do not need to go via immigration - so no hassle there. Besides it is quick and painless at AMS.

MikeMpls Feb 12, 05 9:35 pm

Walk fast, you will make it. I've yet to miss a connection in AMS even when my incoming flight was late AND I had to stop at the KLM transfer desk for the boarding pass.

Suggestion: Do not do an on-line check-in, since NW's on-line check-in will not print KLM boarding passes. Use a kiosk or live ticket agent when you start your trip. KLM's transfer desk in AMS looks crowded but is efficient; nevertheless, you'll have a few extra minutes if you arrive with your KLM boarding passes in hand.

Passport control in AMS is usually quick. There will be no passport checks in FCO.

My wife & I did a similar trip (MSP/ATL/AMS/FCO) 12/23 - 1/2. If you want more suggestions, let me know -- otherwise I'll shuddup.

kyushuman Feb 13, 05 12:03 am

Originally Posted by kyushuman
But you will go thru immigration--though passport lines have always (IMO) been about 0-5 minutes long.

How funny that I wrote that yesterday--and of course, arriving in AMS this morning, there were at least 75 people in every immigration line! It looked like it was going to take a while, so I ducked into the Crowne Lounge. I'd say the only time like this would be now (like 7AM) since several flights arrive from Asia, as well as the US at this time. Later, and you should be ok.

Threy Feb 13, 05 2:51 am

You should have no problem, considering the transatlantic flights back to Europe always benefit from the jet stream, they will arrive ahead of schedule at Schiphol, but sometimes they will have to use 18R/36L " Polderbaan" which some cynics would say is closer to DTW than AMS and easily result in a taxi time of 30 minutes to the E concourse.From there on you have to get to the D,C and B concourse, likely D or C, so it is only a short 10-15 minute walk.

And even if there 75 people in the line ahead of you, we are not taking about US style immigration, in Europe they will swipe your passport or only look at it and maybe ask to what destination you are going today, so that will not take more than 10 minutes as well,even behind 75 other guys, so plenty of time to shop at Fabulicious Schiphol

www.schiphol.nl

fromYXU Feb 13, 05 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Threy
And even if there 75 people in the line ahead of you, we are not taking about US style immigration, in Europe they will swipe your passport or only look at it and maybe ask to what destination you are going today, so that will not take more than 10 minutes as well,even behind 75 other guys, so plenty of time to shop at Fabulicious Schiphol

Last time I went through (late January), immigration took more time than usual. You also had to have your bags scanned afterwards. Maybe things are changing... I did, however, make my 1 hour connection (E to B terminal).

wldtrvlr Feb 13, 05 10:47 am

Originally Posted by fromYXU
Last time I went through (late January), immigration took more time than usual. You also had to have your bags scanned afterwards. Maybe things are changing... I did, however, make my 1 hour connection (E to B terminal).

I think you are talking about coming back to the states. To board a US flight you will get your bags scanned and go through the interview process at the gate. I think the OP is Leaving the US in route to FCO so he should only have the Passport swipe and no bag scan.

One hour should be fine. I did FCO twice last year with a short connection and a long walk. At the hour my flight got in from DTW I don't think there was much shopping available anyway. The airport was kind of dead. I got to the gate well before boarding started. Just make your pit stop at the on board lavatory before descent starts if possible and then you won't have to make that stop in the terminal.

I think some of the Passport Control officers in Europe are "retaliating" against US citizens and trying to slow down our processing to mirror the way that European and other countries visitors are treated when arriving in the US. They just do not do a very good job of slowing it down in Europe. That is just my guess.

fromYXU Feb 13, 05 11:05 am

Originally Posted by wldtrvlr
I think you are talking about coming back to the states. To board a US flight you will get your bags scanned and go through the interview process at the gate. I think the OP is Leaving the US in route to FCO so he should only have the Passport swipe and no bag scan.

No, this was msp-ams-vie. I was surprised at the long time I spent in line waiting for the agent. He was quite persistent in asking questions regarding visas and destinations. Maybe I just happened to be in the wrong line. ;) The scanning was also new. This was in going from E to B terminal in AMS.

On the return leg, also an hour long conection, the line for passport checks were probably longer going from B to E but it took no time: a quick look and off I went. The secondary screening at the gate was the usual.

MikeMpls Feb 13, 05 3:19 pm

Dutch passport control is usually quick, but they are very alert. I've seen them spend extra time on individuals and divert them for extra attention.

The Madrid bombings happened on our first morning in Europe last spring. Schiphol had a whole different air about it on the way home a week later.

mrcimino1 Feb 13, 05 11:42 pm

Many Changes at AMS

Yes, for those who have not been there in a while, there have been quite a few changes at Schiphol.

I happened to read a brief statement in the January KLM Holland Herald that said something like: "Due to new EU requirements regarding Security, all passengers must pass through an enhanced Security Check before departing from an EU airport."
Hence, the new scanners/metal detectors just after Passport Control on your way to the B/C/upper level D gates. Also, the Passport Control desk on lower level D has been closed, forcing everyone to use the same passageway into the B/C/upper D area. (This WAS a great shortcut if there was a long line, and you had a short connection time!)

In the same issue, there was also a brief apology that due to ongoing construction, the Crown Lounge for the B/C/ and upper D gates has a much reduced size at this time. I found it quite crowded (after I finally found the new route to get to it!) because for now the only space they have is the original reception area and the former Royal Wing Lounge right behind it, plus the storage lockers and restrooms. The long L-shaped room is currently not available. It was so busy that I didn't even have a chance to ask when a "new, improved" Crown Lounge would be available.

Wiley Mar 5, 06 2:00 am

Minimum Connection Time at AMS?

on the way back from PRG-EWR, i have 50 mins in between flights at AMS. i spend a lot of time at AMS and can't possibly imagine it taking less than 50 mins to get from a european gate to a US-bound plane. i guess this must be enough time in theory, otherwise nwa.com wouldn't let me buy it. but isn't there some rule that for US-bound planes that the passengers have to be on board by a certain time? i'd be curious to hear what other FTers have to say about this.

Allanf Mar 5, 06 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Wiley
on the way back from PRG-EWR, i have 50 mins in between flights at AMS. i spend a lot of time at AMS and can't possibly imagine it taking less than 50 mins to get from a european gate to a US-bound plane. i guess this must be enough time in theory, otherwise nwa.com wouldn't let me buy it. but isn't there some rule that for US-bound planes that the passengers have to be on board by a certain time? i'd be curious to hear what other FTers have to say about this.

Could you talk NW into getting you on an earlier flight from PRG? 50 minutes is legal at AMS for connecting to an international flight. BUT in theory you are supposed to be on board 30 minutes prior to departure and then there is a long walk to the E/F/G concourse and there can be rather long delays to get through security right before you enter that part of the airport. Then lines tend to be long and slow going through security again at the actual gate. So check your luggage - there may not be much room left for carry-on luggage by the time you get on board unless you are in WBC. AND you have no time to visit the Duty Free shop. :(

LAXRuss Mar 5, 06 4:40 am

While I'm not a specialist with connection times, all I can say is that Amsterdam is so much SMALLER and so much EASIER to transit compared to Frankfurt or Paris (or even DTW and MSP for that matter). Based on my personal experience, 50 minutes should be more than enough time to change planes unless your Prague-Amsterdam flight is delayed.

On the connections I take via Amsterdam, I am often stuck with 4 to 5 hour layovers. I personally would welcome a schedule with a 50 minute layover in Amsterdam and would take it in a heartbeat if it were offered on the routes I use. I would simply consider three factors: (1) whether you could potentially afford to experience a forced overnight if you miss your connection; similarly whether there are later flights to the U.S. the same day so NW/KL could rebook you if you miss the connection; (2) if you are concerned about making the connection because of the walk between flights, you might consider calling reservations and requesting a handicapped cart for the connection if that is offered; (3) With a 50 minute layover, I would assume you would be transferring directly between flights, no time for airline clubs, duty-free shopping or other sightseeing in the airport.

Personally the walks I have experienced between flights in AMS are far less distance than changing planes in DTW or MSP

Jano Mar 5, 06 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Wiley

PRG arrival is in non Schengen zone - the D gates
The departure to the USA is in non Schengen zone - one of them E games.

The end result is that you do not have to go through passport control. This pic might help you http://content.schiphol.nl/info/plat..._lounge_nl.pdf

I was flying BTS-PRG-AMS-DTW-TYS in May 2005 and I remember I did connect in AMS very fast, maybe some 15 minutes only.

AlexM Mar 5, 06 9:36 am

AND you have no time to visit the Duty Free shop. :(
Dute Free Shops are the rippoff of the year at AMS.
I usually buy a buttload of Winegums for office or home, so I use it as benchmark. :)

In FRA I always get them for less than 5 Euro. In AMS they are always 10. Gotta love the scam!