FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Amsterdam (AMS): The Definitive Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/75647-minimum-connection-transfer-time-amsterdam-ams-definitive-thread.html)

BrookeL Sep 5, 2011 5:01 am

Hi

Im travelling in oct edinburgh to san francisco via ams. arrive at 8.35 n depart at 9.50

is this enough time to make the connection? when i check my bag in at edinburgh will it be carried sraight onto my end destination or will i need to claim it again at schiphol? also will i need to go through passport control etc again.

slightly worried as everyone says schiphol is a massive aiport and having never been i dont know.

my itinery was all booked through with delta airlines at the one time-does this make a differance if say i did miss the connection?

any help would be much appreciated! thanks

mtkeller Sep 5, 2011 8:41 am

Originally Posted by BrookeL (Post 17056418)
Hi

Im travelling in oct edinburgh to san francisco via ams. arrive at 8.35 n depart at 9.50

is this enough time to make the connection? when i check my bag in at edinburgh will it be carried sraight onto my end destination or will i need to claim it again at schiphol? also will i need to go through passport control etc again.

slightly worried as everyone says schiphol is a massive aiport and having never been i dont know.

my itinery was all booked through with delta airlines at the one time-does this make a differance if say i did miss the connection?

any help would be much appreciated! thanks

Welcome to FT!

If everything is on one ticket, you'll check your bag at EDI and won't see it again until SFO. At AMS, you won't need to clear passport control, assuming your routing is EDI-AMS-SFO, since you'll just be in the non-Schengen area. You will clear security before boarding, but security is at the gates in the non-Schengen area of AMS. The minimum connection time published for your connection at AMS is 50 minutes, so you should be in great shape. Just look at the monitors and the terminal maps after getting off the flight from EDI and be on your way.

If you do miss your connection, DL and KL will take care of you. Just find a transfer desk (they're all over) and ask for assistance. The AMS-SFO flight is early enough in the day that there should be plenty of options to get you to the US on DL or KL flights. I think you'll be just fine unless there's a big delay out of EDI.

BrookeL Sep 6, 2011 2:16 am

mtkeller

Thankyou very much :) you have definately put my mind at ease! just another quick question...do i follow signs for connecting flights?

Thanks!

excalibur713 Sep 6, 2011 6:49 am

Brooke,

You'll have no trouble at Schiphol at all. I fly out of AMS regularly and the last three times I've been there, it's take me 30 minutes or less to get from arriving by train to sitting inside the gate - with check-in and security and, on two occasions, passport control for non-Schengen flights. It's a very efficient airport.

KLflyerRalph Sep 6, 2011 7:30 am

Originally Posted by BrookeL (Post 17061625)
mtkeller

Thankyou very much :) you have definately put my mind at ease! just another quick question...do i follow signs for connecting flights?

Thanks!

No, just follow the signs to your gate as arrivals/departures/transfers are not separated at AMS.

RobertS975 Oct 11, 2011 7:51 am

50 Minute International Connection- No Problem

A few days ago, I had a 50 minute connection time after an overnight flight from BOS. I am pleased to report that this went fine, with time to spare! And that included a short line at passport control, a repeat security check just after passport control, and a trip from the E gates over to the C gates a good 15 minutes before the ongoing flight started boarding.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I had to stop at one of those transfer kiosks to get a boarding pass for the second flight.

yoyomama Oct 17, 2011 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by RobertS975 (Post 17254910)
A few days ago, I had a 50 minute connection time after an overnight flight from BOS. I am pleased to report that this went fine, with time to spare! And that included a short line at passport control, a repeat security check just after passport control, and a trip from the E gates over to the C gates a good 15 minutes before the ongoing flight started boarding.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I had to stop at one of those transfer kiosks to get a boarding pass for the second flight.

This is good to hear. Going MEM-AMS-BCN with only an hour connection.

SouthAnch Oct 21, 2011 10:49 pm

Is 55 min. enough?

We are flying DL SEA-AMS arriving at 1300
Hoping to connect AF AMS-CDG departing at 1355.

Thanks

KLflyerRalph Oct 22, 2011 1:20 am

Originally Posted by SouthAnch (Post 17316062)
We are flying DL SEA-AMS arriving at 1300
Hoping to connect AF AMS-CDG departing at 1355.

Thanks

Cutting it close but if the flight isn't delayed (hopefully a bit early) you should make it. Walk from E-dock to C-dock isn't long and immigration/security should not have any extraordinary long queues at that time.

JerusalemAsher Oct 31, 2011 3:31 am

Time for security?

I have an upcoming flight with 70 minutes to connect TLV-AMS-JFK. I know that it's more than the minimum 50 minutes, but will it take extra time to go through security on a flight to the US?

Also, does anyone know on which concourse KLM's TLV-AMS flight arrives (I'm trying to figure out if it's a sprint or a marathon).

Thanks,
Asher

FrankC6 Oct 31, 2011 6:17 am

Originally Posted by JerusalemAsher (Post 17364109)
I know that it's more than the minimum 50 minutes, but will it take extra time to go through security on a flight to the US?

Security will be at the gate, minimizing queues. Should be no issue whatsoever. :)

stc Oct 31, 2011 6:34 am

Originally Posted by FrankC6 (Post 17364475)
Security will be at the gate, minimizing queues. Should be no issue whatsoever. :)

Actually IME security at AMS usually takes longer than any other airport. But, since it is at the gate, I've never seen anyone miss the plane.

(I also think so of their typical questions are inane "Do you have your FF card with you?"; but that is another story.)

atl runner Nov 1, 2011 9:18 am

I'll be flying in on DL 56 from ATL and then connecting to a KLM flight to ARN. In between the two flights (I have two hours and fifteen minutes scheduled between them) I have an appointment at the Privium Lounge (between Departure Halls 1 & 2).

Any advice, in terms of where I'll likely be in the airport itself after clearing passport control (I have Privium), having arrived on a Delta flight, and where that will be in relation to the Privium Lounge?

andrew10412 Nov 28, 2011 11:46 am

CDG-AMS-MSP

is a 35 min connection enough time in AMS or even legal?

i remember seeing lots of those through FRA/MUC on LH but not sure if it is legal here.

DaChief Nov 28, 2011 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by andrew10412 (Post 17527556)
CDG-AMS-MSP

i remember seeing lots of those through FRA/MUC on LH but not sure if it is legal here.

I would never do it! Plus you are coming from CDG :( With the flight closeout times for US departures, I question whether this is even legal as well.

ajs123 Nov 28, 2011 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by andrew10412 (Post 17527556)
CDG-AMS-MSP

Well, is the connection time offered by DL, AF or KL? If yes, then it is legal. However, not adviseable. Flights from CDG to AMS depart almost every hour so choosing and earlier one would be recommended. Or take the afternoon flight to MSP instead of the morning one.

cpinstein Nov 28, 2011 2:17 pm

I have the same routing and decided to take the later flight from AMS to BCN. Last time I had a close connection in AMS, I made it but my luggage didn't. Plus it just makes me nervous. so we'll have a nice shopping stroll, and maybe a good meal in AMs. any suggestions on where to eat?

Happy Dec 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Minimum connection time for JFK-AMS-SVO

Arriving AMS at 10:00am DL 205.

Is it enough time to connect to a 11:45am KLM flight to SVO (Moscow)?

metricpoodle Apr 23, 2013 5:05 am

Arriving AMS from BOS on KL6066/DL266, 5:50 am, and connecting to GVA KL1925 departing 6:55 am.

I am wondering how tight this is?

Plus, somehow, not paying attention/spouse need for comfort, we picked seat assignments way back on the A330, not a big help!

I read that this typically means arriving "arrival 3" and need to go to "departure 1". Not sure what that translate into in terms of distance, security checks, etc. at Shiphol?

jamiaub Apr 25, 2013 11:11 am

I would like to know the answer to this as well. I land at 5:55:am on DL and need to connect on AZ to FCO at 7:20am. This is my first INTL connection. I'm assuming I don't need to go through passport control or security..?

rwoman Apr 25, 2013 11:41 am

Originally Posted by metricpoodle (Post 20637490)
Arriving AMS from BOS on KL6066/DL266, 5:50 am, and connecting to GVA KL1925 departing 6:55 am.

I am wondering how tight this is?

Plus, somehow, not paying attention/spouse need for comfort, we picked seat assignments way back on the A330, not a big help!

I read that this typically means arriving "arrival 3" and need to go to "departure 1". Not sure what that translate into in terms of distance, security checks, etc. at Shiphol?

You'll arrive on the international side of AMS, clear passport control and security, and then need to head to your gate. 1h5m is tight, but not impossible. When heading towards passport control, there is a short connection/priority lane.

Originally Posted by jamiaub (Post 20651460)
I would like to know the answer to this as well. I land at 5:55:am on DL and need to connect on AZ to FCO at 7:20am. This is my first INTL connection. I'm assuming I don't need to go through passport control or security..?

1h25m should be fine...procedure is same as above. You will go through airport security.

stc Apr 25, 2013 11:42 am

Since you are going from within the EU to within the EU you need to go through passport control if you are landing from the USA as that is your first port of entry into the EU and also through EU security. I think an hour is enough time if the flights are on time. If not there should be plenty of other flights to GVA and FCO.

jamiaub May 8, 2013 7:29 am

Does Global Entry work at AMS? I see AMS has a Flux "Privium"service. Do I need to be members of both for this to work? Does this help for a connection from AMS to FCO? Thank you.

stc May 8, 2013 7:38 am

Originally Posted by jamiaub (Post 20716833)
Does Global Entry work at AMS? I see AMS has a Flux "Privium"service. Do I need to be members of both for this to work? Does this help for a connection from AMS to FCO? Thank you.

You would need to sign up for (and pay for) "Privium" separately. IIRC haven't GE makes getting Privium easier. I assume having Privium would make getting into the EU flight area easier but I don't 100% remember. It will not help you on the return (EU flight -> USA flight).

Frankly I wouldn't bother.

bobsmo May 9, 2013 6:38 am

Originally Posted by stc (Post 20716866)
You would need to sign up for (and pay for) "Privium" separately. IIRC haven't GE makes getting Privium easier. I assume having Privium would make getting into the EU flight area easier but I don't 100% remember. It will not help you on the return (EU flight -> USA flight).

Just FYI re: Privium and non-EU citizens, then you must have a Valid Identity card of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. So basically for Diplomats only then.

stc May 10, 2013 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by bobsmo (Post 20722315)
Just FYI re: Privium and non-EU citizens, then you must have a Valid Identity card of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. So basically for Diplomats only then.

That's not my understanding unless it has changed. I'm a US citizen and was offered it at one point.

benzemalyonnais May 10, 2013 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by stc (Post 20731890)
That's not my understanding unless it has changed. I'm a US citizen and was offered it at one point.

From their website:

'Do you have a NON-EEA nationality? You can only apply when you are a holder of a valid diplomatic identity card (AD, AO and AC) issued by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs.'

I can't understand why anyone would need this - I've never waited more than 15 minutes at Schiphol. That being said the ST E+ lane is often longer at immigration than the other one.

BigFlyer May 10, 2013 9:39 pm

US Citizens with Global Entry can get Privium:

http://www.globalentry.gov/netherlands.html

It gets you expedited through passport control in a flash using the iris scan machines, and you get expedited security when entering the area for Schengen flights (non-Schengen security is at each gate and there is no Privium adantage.)

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais (Post 20731938)
From their website:

'Do you have a NON-EEA nationality? You can only apply when you are a holder of a valid diplomatic identity card (AD, AO and AC) issued by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs.'

I can't understand why anyone would need this - I've never waited more than 15 minutes at Schiphol. That being said the ST E+ lane is often longer at immigration than the other one.

BigFlyer May 10, 2013 9:41 pm

To be clear, there is no "EU flight area", there is a Schengen area.

Originally Posted by stc (Post 20716866)

jr1202sr May 17, 2013 2:47 pm

If I am connecting from MSP to AMS and get in at 1:05pm should I be okay with a separate ticket AMS- CPH that leaves at 3:55pm? As I understand it I have to clear customs get my bag and then go to the KLM ticket counter in the main terminal and re-check everything. What Terminal will I be arriving in and What Terminal will I be leaving out of? Lastly, are there lockers anywhere nearby?

Thanks!!!

satish_ny Sep 27, 2013 5:12 am

Current MCT at AMS

It appears that Delta is not operating DL470 from JFK to AMS till Oct 25, 2013. I need to fly JFK-AMS-BOM. It looks like the only choice have is DL70 from JFK arriving in AMS at 1000 connecting to DL50 to BOM departing AMS at 1045. I would prefer not to go to EWR to take DL34.

Is 45 minutes sufficient to make a connection in AMS? Is it a legal connection? Thanks.

rwoman Oct 3, 2013 8:13 am

Originally Posted by satish_ny (Post 21513434)
It appears that Delta is not operating DL470 from JFK to AMS till Oct 25, 2013. I need to fly JFK-AMS-BOM. It looks like the only choice have is DL70 from JFK arriving in AMS at 1000 connecting to DL50 to BOM departing AMS at 1045. I would prefer not to go to EWR to take DL34.

Is 45 minutes sufficient to make a connection in AMS? Is it a legal connection? Thanks.

According to this (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...amsterdam.html) thread, MCT is 40 minutes. 45 minutes is probably doable, but could be tight if you're inbound flight is running late.

suvayanr Oct 3, 2013 9:28 am

Why not route JFK-BOS-AMS. I believe there's a flight that get you into AMS with a comfortable layover.

suvayanr Oct 3, 2013 9:30 am

Originally Posted by jr1202sr (Post 20768267)
If I am connecting from MSP to AMS and get in at 1:05pm should I be okay with a separate ticket AMS- CPH that leaves at 3:55pm? As I understand it I have to clear customs get my bag and then go to the KLM ticket counter in the main terminal and re-check everything. What Terminal will I be arriving in and What Terminal will I be leaving out of? Lastly, are there lockers anywhere nearby?

Thanks!!!

You'll have to transit between the non-schengen and schengen side of the terminal, but it's all one terminal.

MSPeconomist Oct 3, 2013 9:37 am

Originally Posted by satish_ny (Post 21513434)

It's all in the nonschengen area. You don't go through passport control and any additional security is done at the gate. If you would be seriously inconvenienced by an overnight delay in AMS, look for some other routing that arrives into AMS earlier. Alternatively, you could fly TATL a day early and enjoy an afternoon and evening in Amsterdam, Den Haag, etc.

satish_ny Oct 4, 2013 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by suvayanr (Post 21547180)
Why not route JFK-BOS-AMS. I believe there's a flight that get you into AMS with a comfortable layover.

There is also an EWR-AMS flight at 1800 arr AMS at 0730. If the nonstop from JFK does not have the MCT, I would prefer to drive to EWR instead of a domestic to international connection in BOS.

satish_ny Oct 4, 2013 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by suvayanr (Post 21547180)

If the nonstop from JFK does not have the MCT, I would prefer to drive to EWR instead of a domestic to international connection in BOS.
That flight departs EWR at 1800 arriving AMS at 0730.

N830MH Oct 5, 2013 7:44 am

Originally Posted by satish_ny (Post 21556161)
If the nonstop from JFK does not have the MCT, I would prefer to drive to EWR instead of a domestic to international connection in BOS.
That flight departs EWR at 1800 arriving AMS at 0730.

Or you can take on Amtrak instead. Please don't drive to EWR. Just take on Amtrak. The traffic can be very bad.

GeordieStew Feb 6, 2014 2:10 am

NCL-AMS-BCN

40 minutes in AMS...UK passport holder. Just isn't going to happen. I'd probably have hold luggage too. Which definitely won't make it.

BCN-AMS-NCL

45 minutes in AMS

Delayed baggage on the way home isn't SUCH a problem.

Tell me I'm crazy considering it?

The alternative it easyJet...

G0H0KIES Mar 14, 2014 11:41 am

50 min connection time in AMS

Is a 50 min connection time in AMS doable? I know it is a legal connection but I haven't done a conection time in AMS that is this short.
The flights with longer connections times are more expensive.
Thanks.