FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Amsterdam (AMS): The Definitive Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/75647-minimum-connection-transfer-time-amsterdam-ams-definitive-thread.html)

Frequent flyer 101 Jan 27, 2019 3:05 am

Booked flights for some family. They will be flying Minsk MSQ - AMS - EDI. It's all one booking, booked on KLM, though the first flight is on Belavia. They have a 1hr 5 min connection and they don't really speak English.

Can anyone advise what the step-by-step process is so that I can give them instructions in advance? I haven't done this at AMS, but I presume it would be something like:

1) Follow signs for "Flight Connections"
2) Go through Security (no liquids allowed)
3) You are now in departures hall. Look for a screen with flight to Edinburgh and look for Gate number. It will be E## or D##.
4) Go to the gate

clsm Jan 27, 2019 11:51 pm

Would appreciate some advice regarding the following. I've flown in/out/through AMS many times but have never put together an itinerary that links two separate tickets - so wondering if my connection time would be OK. I'll be flying AMS to JFK on 3 AUG. To catch this leg of the journey, I'll be flying LIS to AMS first. I have a couple options.

TP 664 LIS--AMS, landing 1 pm OR HV 5954 LIS--AMS, landing 1:05 pm
KL 645 AMS--JFK, departing 2:30 pm.
90 minute layover. The tickets won't be linked. The HV flight is Transavia - so maybe I can link to my KLM reservation?

OR

KL 1694 LIS--AMS, landing 3:35 pm.
KL 643 AMS--KFK, departing 5:55 pm.
Over 2 hour layover. Although I'll be buying the tickets separately, they'll be on the same airline.

I prefer the earlier KLM flight into JFK but don't want to risk missing my flight.

roelb Jan 29, 2019 3:58 pm

One important detail missing: will you have checked luggage?

Without checked luggage, both itineraries should work. There is always the risk of a delay and subsequent missed connection of course, but that will always be the case if you plan for tight connections on seperate tickets.

Personally, I'ld opt for the latter option. 30 extra minutes and more legroom than on Transavia. You can checkin for your New York bound flight online or in the app before leaving LIS.

If you do have checked luggage I would forget about the first itinerary all together.

shipitfish Jan 30, 2019 12:33 pm

Definite answer on checked baggage through AMS?

I just read the last 6-8 months of this thread, and I *think* I now know what is likely, but I'd suggest someone with clue posting this as part of the sticky post about minimum connection times.

I'm on a single round-trip PNR, routed PDX-SEA-AMS-BRU. I'm in DL1 on DL metal via a GUC for SEA-AMS, got comp-upgraded to FC on PDX-SEA (not that that matters for my inquiry). AMS-BRU is KLM metal, but I'm booked through on a DL codeshare. My AMS connection is 65 minutes.

My bagtags read "BRU" when they checked them at PDX, and GA at PDX said I do *not* need to pick up bags and recheck.

I fly through AMS often but rarely check luggage, so I am curious to confirm that I do *not* need to pick up bags and recheck them (as I would for a USA connection coming *from* AMS due to customs clearance). I have a strong memory of AMS layovers where no one goes to baggage claim, but I'm never usually worried about it because I rarely check. I'd love if someone can link to something definitive in this thread about this issue.

I have same question on going back, as I'm going BRU-AMS-PDX, with BRU-AMS on KL metal in a DL codeshare and AMS-PDX on DL metal. My connection time on the way back is 160 minutes, so I'm not as worried as I am for my connection tomorrow morning on the outbound.

Thanks for your help!

Grouchy Jan 30, 2019 12:42 pm

Confirmed ;)
PDX-SEA-AMS-BRU: You will pick up your luggage at your final destination: BRU.

BRU-AMS-PDX: You will pick up your luggage at PDX.

No link but did flown plenty of DUS/BRU-AMS-US and US-AMS-BRU/DUS trips

EJS464 Jan 30, 2019 12:42 pm

Since you are traveling on a single PNR and the bags are checked through to BRU you do NOT need to pick them up in Amsterdam. Go through the immigration checkpoint from the non-Schengen area to the Schengen area and proceed to the gate for your AMS - BRU flight.

clsm Jan 31, 2019 12:22 am

Thank you roelb! I usually don't check bags, but I decided to go the later KLM route. More time, KLM all the way.

shipitfish Feb 5, 2019 2:36 pm

Woah, just went through AMS for the first time this year, switching from B Schengen gates to non-Schengen D gates. USA is now on the list for the automated machine passport check! I went from having a tight connection to being able to visit the lounge quickly. I guess maybe folks knew this was happening? I didn't see it in the thread, but may have missed it.

pulpfiction78 Feb 5, 2019 5:05 pm

Lots of great information in here, but dropping a note in case someone has any good advice.

I'm flying DL134 DTW-AMS on April 3rd in D1 cabin, expected to arrive at 0800. Looking to book KL1315 on a separate PNR to Bordeaux departing at 0925. Connection time seems within reason. If I read correctly, Delta should have no problem tagging my bags all the way to BOD, or alternately I wont check bags.

My only slight concern is DL 134 having an average 20-40 minute delay according to flightaware. If I do end up missing the KL flight due to delay will KLM be able to book me on the later flight at 1440 (KL1317/Cityhopper), assuming available seats. If I can, I'd like to avoid having the long layover.

Thank you!

roelb Feb 6, 2019 3:20 am

Whether or not they will accomodate you in case of a delay is completely up to the agent (and the fare conditions for your AMS-BOD ticket).. Seperate PNR's, so no obligation whatsoever for the airline to fix your connection in case of a misconnect. That said, as a Delta DM your chances are pretty good they will help you, especially if caused by a delay on an inbound Skyteam flight. If not, most KLM intra-EU economy tickets have a change fee of EUR 70 . So you'll be out EUR 70 + fare difference if they will not accomodate you.

If you miss the 9.25, there are more options to get to BOD, without waiting for the direct afternoon KL flight. There is a route through CDG, leaving AMS at 10.30 and arriving at BOD at 1.55pm.

clsm Mar 8, 2019 12:03 am

Earlier - got helpful feedback for finalizing my ticket from LIS--AMS--JFK. Now need some input re my husband's ticket. Looking to grab an award D1 ticket for him from AMS to MSP. First need to fly him from LIS to AMS. Would 90 minutes be sufficient for transfer? Would be different airlines: Transavia then DL or KLM then DL. Not checking in bags. August flight.

roelb Mar 8, 2019 2:33 am

90 minutes is fine. Transavia use the "normal" gates for flights within Schengen (the true budget airlines fly out of a seperate area that is not connected airside).

So the only variable here with a potential queue is immigrations between the Schengen and non-schengen side of the airport. That shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes under normal circumstances. If extraordinary busy, it might take 20 to 30 minutes. Ample time to spare with a 90 minute connection.

But... there is always the risk that the inbound flight is delayed, causing him to misconnect onto the the AMS-MSP flight (and forfeit that award ticket). If you're willing to take that risk and have a backup plan, go for it. If not, create a somewhat longer connection or try to create this itinerary on a single (award) ticket so that the airline bears the misconnect risk.

If you create a really long connection, a short side-trip into the city is always an option. It takes about 15 minutes to get to downtown Amsterdam by train. The airport trainstation is under the airport and it takes no more than 5 to 10 minutes to walk to the platform from the airside area. The new KLM lounge has lockers for any carry-on that he would like to store. So 30 minutes from walking out of the KLM lounge to walking out of Amsterdam Centraal trainstation is feasible. On the way back, he needs to clear security. The priority line is accessed through KLM's SkyPriority checkin area (in departures 2). Just walk past the desks, take the escalator on your right hand side up, scan boarding pass and you're there. Immigrations is directly behind security and after that you exit into the airside non-schengen area on level 2. Take the escalator down, take a 180 degree turn to your right, walk towards E and F gates and the KLM lounge is 2 minutes ahead ahead on your right-hand side. He will need a contactless train ticket (or rechargeable card). There are ticketing machines in the baggage claim area (less crowded) and in the main plaza just above the escalators to the platforms (more crowded). They take any creditcard and there is a EUR 1 surcharge for a single-use ticket, or a EUR 7,50 cost for a rechargeable card. Fare to downtown is EUR 9 round trip (so EUR 10 with a single-use ticket).

clsm Mar 8, 2019 4:35 pm

Wow. Thank you, roelb!

If he's on KL flight, wonder if the DL reservation can be linked so they look after him a bit. I'm guessing if he misses his connection, it'll all be up to the gate agent whether or not to assist.

roelb Mar 9, 2019 5:54 am

The rules say that award tickets can not be voluntarily changed or redeposited less than 72 hours from the original departure time. So, on seperate tickets, it's up to the goodwill of the agent whether they accomodate you or not. I avoid constructions like these and never had to rely on that. But there are probably people reading here that have experience with missed connections on seperate tickets and can provide some further insight on how it is handled by DL and KL agents. But anyway, if you decide to choose the safe option and create a longer connection, spending a few hours in Amsterdam is a good way to keep him busy during the connection..

pokerloser949 Mar 21, 2019 8:13 am

AMS Connection Time

I am flying MSP-AMS-DEL and the time between the AMS and DEL flights is less than an hour. I am a PM in D1 will I make that flight? Worried about the close timing.