FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Amsterdam (AMS): The Definitive Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/75647-minimum-connection-transfer-time-amsterdam-ams-definitive-thread.html)

Buster CT1K Nov 28, 2018 12:40 pm

If I fly CDG-AMS-USA, I know I will probably have to answer some questions at AMS, but do I have to be rescreened by security at AMS?

LoganFlyer Nov 28, 2018 12:42 pm

Added a wiki with MCT information. Sorry about the size, but there's no easy rule for KL-KL non-Schengen to non-Schengen connections, so I posted the whole output from Expertflyer for that case.

flyerCO Nov 28, 2018 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K (Post 30476700)
If I fly CDG-AMS-USA, I know I will probably have to answer some questions at AMS, but do I have to be rescreened by security at AMS?

No. You're coming from the EU, US, CANADA, or Montenegro which means no security recheck is needed.

You only do questions when flying DL metal to US.

roelb Nov 29, 2018 8:29 am

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer (Post 30476716)
Added a wiki with MCT information. Sorry about the size, but there's no easy rule for KL-KL non-Schengen to non-Schengen connections, so I posted the whole output from Expertflyer for that case.

The longer connection times are not all non-schengen to non-schengen. For example, KL29xx flights are actually trains from Brussels and Antwerp. So rule "KL-KL II 1.45 FLT 2960 - 2999 - FLT 300 - 899" is a train to non-schengen flight connection, allowing time for check-in, bag-drop, security and immigrations. There are also rules in there that don't make any sense. For example "KL-KL II 2.00 ALL - FLT 2890 - 2899". But Flights 2890 through 2899 are all codeshares for Aeroflot domestic flights within Russia.

Practical connection time in AMS is dependent on three variables:

a. whether you need to reclear security, yes or no. No if inbound from EU, US or Canadian airports. Yes for all other cases. Add anywhere between 15 to 30 minutes. With Skypriority, you can be done in 5, but the scanners at AMS do mark a lot of items for manual secondary screening, which can slow things down a lot.
b. the inbound gate area
c. the outbound gate area

As for gate area's, there are two main area's: the schengen and non-schengen side of the airport.

Schengen side is gates A, B, C and D gates numbered 59 or higher (top floor of the concourse), all interconnected. B and A gates are a longer (5 minute) walk from C and D.
Non-Schengen side is gates D1-58 and all E, F, G and H gates, all directly interconnected and an easy walk.

There are immigrations desks in-between these area's, seperate from the immigration desks that passengers originating or having their final destination in AMS go through.

If your connection involves switching between schengen and Non-Schengen area's, you'll need to pass through immigrations at this location (in between D and C councourses). Add 5 to 10 minutes if yes. There are e-gates for EU passports (and in the future, folks from other countries that have registered for RTP-NL) and manned desks. Usually no queue.

Special cases are:

- train connections (KL sells train rides from Brussels, Antwerp and other locations, they actually have KL flight numbers)
- connections to or from a low-cost airline flying within the Schengen zone, arriving or departing from the M gates.

Train connections are handled landside. When connecting from a train to a flight, after disembarking from the train, you take the escalator or elevator up to Plaza level and proceed to the check-in desks, where you are now simply a passenger originating from AMS. When your connection is from a flight to a train, simply follow the signs for arriving passengers towards baggage claim, pick up any luggage and proceed through customs into the plaza area. Now proceed to the NS International desk where your train tickets will be issued. They need your ID and PNR/confirmation number to issue the tickets. Afterwards, take the escalator down to the platform and hop on the train.

For elites with a long flight to train connection there unfortunately is no official way to get into the lounge. What you could do is stay airside and try to get in, but you won't have a boarding pass. If you're flying business, your train segment will have been booked in first class, which will allow you access into the NS lounge that is located landside.

Connections to and from the M gates (low cost airlines, completely detached) take a long time and requires a seperate check-in, reclearing security, etc. As far as I know, no official connections are sold that involve connecting to or from the M gates. If you decide to "self-connect" to an airline arriving or departing on these gates (Wow, Norwegian, Easyjet, etc), plan a connection that is at least two hours, not taking possible delays into account.

Comatose1 Dec 16, 2018 6:14 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 30476612)
They'll rebook you in J. Even if it means flying you to HAN, CAN, PVG, or CGK to fly VN, CZ, MU, or GA.to SYD. (VN or GA would be great options and IMO better experiences than even KE) Unlike US airlines (though DL is generally much better), foreign airlines usually have no issue putting you on another carrier in IRROPS.

The flight to AMS was cancelled today, and I am now busy on hold trying to find out what rebooking options they'll give me. The website won't let me rebook so I'm at their mercy right now... Does likely mean I can't tell you how the turnaround would have been

roelb Dec 17, 2018 5:43 am

It was a mess over here yesterday with cancellations due to dense fog.

MarkP24 Dec 22, 2018 8:18 pm

Anyone think it's ideal to have an 80 minute connection in AMS from the EU on a KLM morning flight back to the U.S. on a DL flight? There are a few options I'm looking at, so I could take an alternative with greater connection time such as 2.5 hours, but ideally I'd prefer the least connection time that makes sense to get back as quickly as possible (not just what's legal, as I know it's legal). I believe I'll have to just pass through passport control and not security, right?

satish_ny Dec 22, 2018 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by MarkP24 (Post 30566097)
Anyone think it's ideal to have an 80 minute connection in AMS from the EU on a KLM morning flight back to the U.S. on a DL flight? There are a few options I'm looking at, so I could take an alternative with greater connection time such as 2.5 hours, but ideally I'd prefer the least connection time that makes sense to get back as quickly as possible (not just what's legal, as I know it's legal). I believe I'll have to just pass through passport control and not security, right?

80 minutes is more than sufficient time to transfer from a KLM flight from an EU airport to a DL flight to a US destination.

MarkP24 Dec 22, 2018 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by satish_ny (Post 30566131)
80 minutes is more than sufficient time to transfer from a KLM flight from an EU airport to a DL flight to a US destination.

Thank you!

robert4travels Dec 26, 2018 8:20 am

Originally Posted by roelb (Post 30479590)
There are immigrations desks in-between these area's, seperate from the immigration desks that passengers originating or having their final destination in AMS go through.

If your connection involves switching between schengen and Non-Schengen area's, you'll need to pass through immigrations at this location (in between D and C councourses). Add 5 to 10 minutes if yes. There are e-gates for EU passports (and in the future, folks from other countries that have registered for RTP-NL) and manned desks. Usually no queue.

Usually no queue at immigration is not true. This year I flew 3 times US-AMS-EU destination or vice versa, and it always took me at least 30 minutes to clear immigration (even with my EU passport), and always found long queues. There used to be a SkyPriority lane at immigration in the past that helped if you had status, but that is no more. It will take even longer if you do not have a EU or Swiss passport for the automated immigration gates, and your passport needs to be checked manually. So a minimum of 80 minutes connection time from Schengen to non-Schengen and vice versa is certainly needed.
There is a short connection line though at immigration that you can use if your flight departs in the next 60 minutes (checked by an airport employee).

Also an important tip, that speaks for itself: if you need clear immigration, do that first BEFORE going to the lounge. KLM has lounges in both the Schengen and Non-Schengen areas, and they are equally good.

satish_ny Dec 26, 2018 8:57 am

Originally Posted by MarkP24 (Post 30566168)
Thank you!

​​​​​​​You are welcome! I hope all goes well for you. Please update the thread with your experience.

MarkP24 Dec 26, 2018 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by satish_ny (Post 30575100)
You are welcome! I hope all goes well for you. Please update the thread with your experience.

I ended up choosing different routing, so it's not relevant for me this go round, but I will certainly provide an update next time I have that experience.

roelb Dec 29, 2018 8:00 am

Originally Posted by robert4travels (Post 30574981)
Usually no queue at immigration is not true. This year I flew 3 times US-AMS-EU destination or vice versa, and it always took me at least 30 minutes to clear immigration (even with my EU passport), and always found long queues. .

That's not my experience. I've made a habit of looking at that queue whenever I fly from AMS, coming down from the escalator into the non-schengen departures area. Never seen a large queue there, and each and every time that had to go through there myself there was no queue at all. I've was just there, about an hour ago, and again, no queue at all:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9ee5b2d920.jpg

I might just be lucky of course.

flyerCO Dec 29, 2018 11:41 am

Originally Posted by roelb (Post 30584832)
That's not my experience. I've made a habit of looking at that queue whenever I fly from AMS, coming down from the escalator into the non-schengen departures area. Never seen a large queue there, and each and every time that had to go through there myself there was no queue at all. I've was just there, about an hour ago, and again, no queue at all:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9ee5b2d920.jpg

I might just be lucky of course.

You're lucky. The sign to the right of the escalator in fact tells people in there's a queue not to get in line unless within 2 hours of departure.

Grouchy Dec 29, 2018 3:21 pm

Lines are ok most of the day. Mornings can be bad, especially when the automatic kiosks are not open/working

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7548/...fdd25d71_h.jpg