FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Amsterdam (AMS): The Definitive Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/75647-minimum-connection-transfer-time-amsterdam-ams-definitive-thread.html)

GuyverII Jun 16, 2009 3:15 pm

Made it through within 30 minutes, yes we had time to pick up a pack of Stroopwafels!

Woo-hoo!

bellman1023 Jul 15, 2009 1:47 pm

AMS connection question

1st post here but longtime lurker...

I have an award itinerary on hold, but I only have a one hour connection to Milan after I land in Amsterdam. Here is the entire routing: Delta ATL-DTW, Northwest DTW-AMS, KLM AMS-MXP.

2 questions:

**Is this enough time to make my connection to Milan?

**If I miss my connection, am I on my own getting to Milan or does Delta have an obligation to get me there?

Thanks in advance...you guys have helped me tons over the years.

ecspike Jul 15, 2009 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by bellman1023 (Post 12071486)

I have an award itinerary on hold, but I only have a one hour connection to Milan after I land in Amsterdam. Here is the entire routing: Delta ATL-DTW, Northwest DTW-AMS, KLM AMS-MXP.

2 questions:

**If I miss my connection, am I on my own getting to Milan or does Delta have an obligation to get me there?

That's kinda tight coming from the States. Being an EU citizen might shave some time off.

KLM has a couple AMS-MXP flights so you do have backups if you miss the connection (you'd be priority space available on the next flight)

zman Jul 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by bellman1023 (Post 12071486)

2 questions:

Chances are u will NOT make it.
You have to clear EU immigration at AMS and security
I barely made a 1 1/2 hours doing Germany to AMS to U.S. where I had to clear EU immigration at AMS.

pbarnette Jul 15, 2009 2:44 pm

I think you can make it. I don't find the non-Schengen to Schengen passport control + security to be that bad. Probably 90% of the time, I am through in well under 10 minutes. For the 10% of the time that it has taken longer, I have seen them open up a short-connection line, as well.

The potential problem could be simply the distance, as it can be quite a hike. But... the NW flights are usually relatively close to the passport control, so it shouldn't be terrible. I assume you don't have mobility issues?

I routinely schedule 1:30-ish connections at AMS and have always had more than enough time to grab some food and hit the duty free. Indeed, I have made a 30-minute non-Schengen to Schengen connection once, due to delays. And we landed at the very end of the D pier.

Besides, assuming this is all one ticket, I would think you will be put on a later flight. Yeah, if everything is fully booked up, then you could run into trouble, but I would have to think they will find a way to get you to Milan.

anotherATLelite Sep 24, 2009 3:05 pm

AMS connection question

I'm looking at taking a paid J flight ATL-AMS-BOM-AMS-ATL outbound on 29 December 2009. On the outbound, I have 1h55 for the connection from a DL flight onto a KL/NW flight at AMS. I haven't connected in AMS in some years now and I was wondering if this was enough time for me (and bags)? Are there any seasonal/holiday issues I should be aware of?

Also, the onward AMS-BOM and the return leg to AMS are on A-330s and I'm not sure what would be the best seat to pick since I've never flown in the J cabin of a 330. Aisle access is probably my single biggest priority.

Thanks for any suggestions.

pbarnette Sep 24, 2009 3:10 pm

That is far more time than you need in AMS. Note that security will be at the gate for both your BOM and your ATL flight. Once past security, you are in a holding pen with nothing more than a bathroom. I would just hang back until the line is gone before heading through security - no sense sitting/standing for 20 minutes. Note that this also precludes you from bringing liquids above the 1l bag onto the plane - no water bottles.

Personally, I don't find much difference between the seats. The bulkheads are nice, but not that much better than the other seats. The rear seats do see traffic to the bathroom, so they might be best avoided. Stick with the middles if traveling alone and value aisle access.

Should be a painless connection. The one downer is that the food selection at AMS is pretty poor, but what can you do?

anotherATLelite Sep 24, 2009 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette (Post 12432983)
Should be a painless connection. The one downer is that the food selection at AMS is pretty poor, but what can you do?

Thanks. I'm assuming I'll have lounge access at AMS as a ST ElitePlus, but also since I'm flying IBE/WBC. Is there no food/drink to be had at the lounge?

pbarnette Sep 24, 2009 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by anotherATLelite (Post 12433018)
Thanks. I'm assuming I'll have lounge access at AMS as a ST ElitePlus, but also since I'm flying IBE/WBC. Is there no food/drink to be had at the lounge?

You will have lounge access and the lounge is nice (with showers). The food and drink is nothing special. Drinks are pretty standard, nothing high-end. Food is limited; there will be something, but nothing to make a meal out of.

anotherATLelite Sep 24, 2009 3:21 pm

Thanks, pbarnette!

pbarnette Sep 24, 2009 3:26 pm

One other nice thing about the lounge: free WIFI.

Should you decide to venture out to the food court and are there around lunch-time... I heartily recommend the McKroket at McDonald's. This is a variation on Holland's greatest culinary contribution to the world, the kroket/bitterball. Basically it is breaded, deep-fried gravy. The McKroket adds some honey-mustard sauce and the McDonald's bun to the mix. It is a great combination.

Have a great trip.

GUWonder Sep 24, 2009 3:37 pm

Unless your flight out of ATL is severely delayed because ATL has yet another one of its bad travel days and poor recovery due to being too large to resolve things more easily, you and your bags should make your flight at AMS without any issue.

MarqFlyer Sep 24, 2009 4:35 pm

While the food at the AMS lounge isn't great overall (nowhere near the food at NRT, for example), I like the breakfast spread. Fairly standard european fare of cheeses, lunchmeats, breads and rolls, etc. The selections seem to get less impressive as the day goes on....

anotherATLelite Sep 25, 2009 8:48 am

Thanks everyone. My concerns are assuaged and I will pull the trigger on the ticket today.

And I am very intrigued by the McKroket...will have to try that out!

MadRunner Feb 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Hello.

I've been playing with flights for the past few days and recently came upon flying through AMS on Delta all the way there and back.

I have two options and figured I'd see what would be easiest.

Departing :
WAW > AMS > MSP > SAN
I'd have a 4.5hr layover at AMS and a 2hr layover at MSP

Return :
SAN > MEM > AMS > WAW
I'd have 1.5hr at MEM and 2hr at AMS.

Departing :
WAW > AMS > ATL > SAN
I'd have a 2hr layover at AMS and a 2hr layover at ATL.

Return :
SAN > MEM > AMS > WAW
I'd have 1.5hr at MEM and 2hr at AMS.

I am flying on an American Passport and I will be flying the cheapest fare. The only thing that "may" aid is I will be traveling on my Diplomatic passport, however it's not official business as I am only going back for my college graduation. I don't know where I will have to deal with customs. I'd prefer to bring a checked bag in addition to my carry on but for sake of process I can pack lighter.

I'm not much of a flyer and last time I flew internationally my husband was with me so I sort of just followed oblivious and calm. ^