Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Problems and Issues with SkyMiles Award Availability Calendar: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problems and Issues with SkyMiles Award Availability Calendar: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
And we almost went 4 days without a new thread about award availability. On a pleasant (positive) note, at least the last 2 threads have been mostly positive.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:34 pm

I've long since given up that the award calendar will be fixed. With the constant chorus of complaints on here + the fact that DL supposedly reads these boards, they must know about it and would have fixed it by now if they had the intention of doing so.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
Delta opened up a crap load of flights from June to Sept all in low from ATL to HNL yesterday. Today most of them disappeared. Alot still scattered out there. I'm still holding out for specific dates and am staying positive my specific days will open up.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:48 pm

Programs: Waffle House DM
Fat chance! It's the usual "screw you and the horse you rode in on" DL.com today. They nearly sucked me in by showing some low Biz ATL-FCO fares yesterday, but today every low or medium you click comes up with:

"there are no flights available on that date"

Same old crapola from DL, set low expectations and consistently fail to achieve them.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LA, WN, SPG Plat, MR Gold
Fluke so far at least.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by brazzleman
I search pretty regularly doing all the "tricks" to search for award tickets, but today I'm getting ALOT more flight options, and when I tried the calendar option (which I've given up on) when I clicked on "LOW" availability I actually pulled up flights with LOW miles!

Is this just some cruel trick or did the wknd technology update fix things? I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is the beginning of something better.
That is not really the problem. It is when you go to the checkout that you get the wrong mileage. I have "selected" low biz tickets a million times and when it prices out it is either double the miles or one or two segments are in coach (WARNING: look for this closely),
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:14 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by ffI
I saw ATL NRT in June for low in BE.
I was so shocked I forgot to book the award at once.
with DM, I can always cancel later.
Now I can't get the exact routing.
Perhaps they wish to clear a bunch of these miles before potential JAL deal?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL-Kryptonium (DM+); HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold
Talking Technology Tune Up - NW merger

I was looking at award tickets today to plan a vacation in April with my partner.

Wanted to do this:
JFK-NRT-HKG spend some time (7 days)
HKG-NRT spend the balance (8 days)
NRT-JFK fly home

Found JFK-ATL-NRT, NRT-ATL-JFK for 180K in BE
Couldn't find anything that didn't cost almost as much (145K) for
NRT-HKG-NRT

Called SMS (Regina was terrific!) and they said that they were merging the NW availability/flights into the Delta system, hence the online technology tune up.

I told her tha the link on the Delta home page about this said it would be completed by 3p EST. News to her and she verified and thanked me for the info. Suggested I check back after then to see what opens up; she said most of the NW flights (or Delta #'s operated by NW) showed no availability.

Sure enough, called back around 6:30p and they (Jen in TPA) were able to add
NRT - HKG; BE
HKG - NRT: Coach
AND KEPT ME AT THE 180K (per person) A/I!

Metal for this is A330, so I can live in coach for one of 6 flights.

Keep trying and you'll likely find something. Best of luck!
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL PM,1MM
I was mainly looking at HNL or Europe. I've also noticed more flight combinations. In the past when I've searched VCE-SLC, I get just flights VCE-JFK-SLC; today I'm getting all sorts of combinations thru CDG,AMS - everythings medium, but more choices.

I'm trying to be positive about things - after all - how could it get any worse?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: Delta - Silver
Just a fluke. The calendar still doesn't work.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by brazzleman
I was mainly looking at HNL or Europe. I've also noticed more flight combinations. In the past when I've searched VCE-SLC, I get just flights VCE-JFK-SLC; today I'm getting all sorts of combinations thru CDG,AMS - everythings medium, but more choices.

I'm trying to be positive about things - after all - how could it get any worse?
Oh, it can get worse..... don't let your guard down my friend.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EVA777
You must not be looking at Asian routes.
+1, was looking for MSP-PVG/SHA and can only find 1 day combo pair that lets me at the low 60K threshold for the next year. And that is 3 weeks from now...
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
even if they get the calendar working, there are still a lot of things to fix:

- ability to see all/any availability in one search vs having to research for Y or Biz/First
- multi-city bookings
- miles upgrades on paid fares
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried MSN-NRT in November, got no flights available, clicked on the "View calendar for more options" link and nothing happened. Tried MSN-HKG and did get flights -- for 370,000 miles. It looks like all the flights to NRT that were there a few days ago at 120,000 miles have disappeared. So there is at present no way for me to book my award trip online.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:07 am

Unhappy SYD-ATL

I have two low BE award tix from ATL-SYD...outbound on DL, return on KE

Would prefer to return on DL but it's not worth the additional 110K miles per pax.

On Saturday, I saw low BE availability from SYD-ATL for almost every date in February with exception of 1st week. Then almost every date in March, with exception of 1st week.

It had to be a fluke since looking at seating charts, say on Feb 28th, there were only 4 BE seats open BUT looking at March 3rd, there were 17 seats open.

The flukes never seem to workout in my favor since March 3rd is my return date.

I even called into SMS and tried to negotiate. Isn't it financially better for DL to retain my redeemed miles rather than "pay" them to KE? No success.

On Sunday around 2p EST, all of those low BEs disappeared.

Last edited by BluEyedFF; Jan 25, 2010 at 6:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.