Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

BUMP [Bring Us More Passengers] Program (Allowing Pax to Endorse Tix to NW)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BUMP [Bring Us More Passengers] Program (Allowing Pax to Endorse Tix to NW)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2007, 8:15 am

Programs: AA, DL, Bonvoy, WoH, HH
Originally Posted by Saycheese
Sorry, GA in MSN and Check-in agent ATL
and both of them were NW's or DL's?
Old Sep 24, 2007, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I am going to try this next month
I have a SAN-EWR-BUF itin on CO booked on a late evening redeye, I would much rather leave SAN via DTW in the early afternoon and get to BUF late night rather than next morning
Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LTPPE
Originally Posted by jameskwon
and both of them were NW's or DL's?
Both of them were NW agents. I visited the NW MSN GA prior to leaving on DL metal and then went directly to the NW ticket counter in ATL day of return ( I first checked the loads on Expertflyer).

Last edited by Saycheese; Sep 24, 2007 at 9:49 am Reason: clarification
Old Sep 25, 2007, 7:21 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Saycheese
Last week I had success with the BUMP program. Here is the relevant information.

[...]
*Asked the MSN gate agent to print out the G ATO BUMP procedures to take with me.
Saycheese, thanks for posting this! ^ I think having the G ATO BUMP rules printed was an excellent idea and it might be instrumental to being able to benefit from this program. I am assuming I can have these rules printed in a WC as well. I'll have to get me a copy of that and park it in my carry on, just in case.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 7:59 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
Originally Posted by florin
Saycheese, thanks for posting this! ^ I think having the G ATO BUMP rules printed was an excellent idea and it might be instrumental to being able to benefit from this program. I am assuming I can have these rules printed in a WC as well. I'll have to get me a copy of that and park it in my carry on, just in case.
If anyone would be willing to simply scan the G ATO BUMP rules and post them, I think there would be a lot of good kharma going your way!
Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:43 pm

Does NW still have the BUMP (bring us more passengers) program?

Hi everyone,

I just moved to a new town (Springdale, Arkansas) and in a couple weeks will be heading up to Michigan to see family for the holiday. I'm currently booked on AA heading XNA-DFW-DTW on the Nov. 19th outbound and DTW-ORD-XNA on the return on AA Eagle. I have an e-ticket and it has monetary value ($373 r/t with tax), it isn't a bulk or award ticket. I'm silver elite on Northwest, and I'm still in need of 10,000 more miles to requalify for next year. Northwest has a nonstop to DTW leaving an hour before my flight to Dallas leaves, and they have a connecting flight via MSP on the return that is comparable timewise to what I have now routing through ORD. Obviously taking NW on this itinerary would help me toward that goal, plus I'm more familiar with NW, and doing this would help me avoid a really tight (35 min) connection on the way back to XNA in ORD. I recall seeing threads on this forum about the BUMP program, I just have a few questions...

1) Given that XNA has outsourced employees and not NW counter staff, does that make it impossible to do this altogether?
2) I've heard that NW can pull up an AA itinerary provided the customer hasn't checked in without getting an endorsement. Is this the case?
3) Both the XNA-DTW flight and the DTW-MSP-XNA flights have availability right now...given that I'm a silver, would NW take my AA ticket in XNA before I leave and get me flights the whole way (round-trip) or would this bump thing only be possible in DTW for the return.
4) I work maybe 15 mins from the airport. If I was to go up there earlier in the day and talk to them and take care of it a few hours before departure does that make sense or does it increase my chances of being able to take NW the whole way over AA?

Any advice people could give would be helpful. Obviously if it isn't possible I'll fly AA...but if it is somehow possible to fly NW using the Bump program (ie. nw takes the ticket but doesn't charge me for it), please let me know! Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:19 pm

Programs: National ES
Red face

I'm not sure this is possibly at the NW ticket counter. Normally we can request control, create a PNR, check you in and send you on your way, but I haven't had any luck with AA issued tickets. I could be wrong but I highly doubt it.

Last edited by jakeflynwa; Nov 7, 2007 at 5:21 pm Reason: clarity
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by fjnovak1
I have an e-ticket and it has monetary value
That's what you think.

Seriously, though, B.U.M.P. is a lot more likely to work if you have a paper (ARC) ticket that you can hand over to NW, because paper tickets really do have value (often for up to a year after the scheduled departure date, while e-tickets' value often becomes exactly $0.00 the day after).

Not to say that it can never ever happen with an e-ticket, but NW would be much happier if they had some paper they could show AA and say "we have this, trade you for some money."
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond. LT SkyClub, AGR, passport
I have only used BUMP on the return portion of a trip. I do not believe it is allowed RT, only one way. etickets work with the program, it is much easier if you do not check-in with the other airline for the return. The reason I believe it only works one way is that there has to be seats available at the time of departure. It is like flying standby, NWA is letting you have the seat, regardless if they get any money from your paper or electronic ticket. Theorectically it is costing NWA very little to let you have a seat, since it would have been empty anyway. And they just may earn a very loyal customer in the future.

I think the problem doing it on the way out, is the that the rest of your ticket is cancelled by the issuing airline, since you did not fly the original departing flight (thereby making the return portion of your ticket worthless.) Just my opinion, maybe someone else has some facts to explain the whole process.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:02 pm

The BUMP program still exists, but you'll have a hard time finding many agents that know/remember how to use it. Not their fault since I don't believe very many people (even FTers) use it that much. That said, stop by your nearest friendly TA and ask them to type "G ATO BUMP" into "PARS" and that will bring up all of the rules. If you can get them to print it out for you, then you can take that along as reference in case you encounter an agent not willing to help you.

I do have to correct what DanTravels said a bit: It doesn't much matter if it's an e-ticket vs. a paper ticket. And, in reality, an e-ticket is easier for them to transfer over because all they have to do is a few clicks to rebook you. The paper coupon has to be closed on the other airline and in many cases it would have to be endorsed by that other airline first. E-tickets do not have to be endorsed over to NW, they can simply take control. As for the value, it's exactly the same whether it's an e-ticket or a paper ticket. So, NW will get their money.

Also, not ALL airlines can do BUMPS, IIRC. DL, UA, US, CO, and AS are pretty straight-forward. I think there's something a little funky about AA, but that would be included and covered in the "G ATO BUMP" document.

You CAN do a BUMP on a round-trip ticket, but you have to have a good GA/TA that can put an "arrival unknown" at the end of your outbound journey. That will prevent the computer from canceling the remaining portion of your itinerary. However, if you know ahead of time that you plan to use BUMP, it is much, much easier if you can buy the ticket as two one-ways and treat them as separate transactions, which they really are.

As for your specific questions, fjnovak1, yes DO NOT check-in for any segments (or subsequent segments) that you intend to BUMP on NW for. If you've checked in, there's little NW can do for you. And yes, you can get to the airport early and set up the BUMP, but I think it has to be the airport you're originating from. That will also give you the best odds at getting confirmed on the flight you want since there's supposed to be a seat available in the class you're booked in for them to BUMP you over. IOW, if you're on a "T" class ticket on AA, NW has to have "T" class seats on the flight(s) you want to be able to BUMP you over. Although, sometimes, the agent will just put you in Y. But if they follow the letter of the law, the fare classes have to be the same unless NW does not even have that fare class, in which case I think they'd just put you in Y assuming there are seats.

The last time I did this, it took about 20 minutes to work through it with an agent, so be patient, calm, smile, and be friendly. They likely haven't seen this in quite a while, if at all. And try and do it during a slow period so they don't feel like you're wasting the time of people who need to check-in ASAP. It can be a really great program. I used it to go DTW-MSP when I was originally booked DTW-ATL-MSP. I just wanted to get home sooner that night and chose to forgo the additional mileage via the hell that is ATL.

Last edited by SchmutzigMSP; Nov 7, 2007 at 9:11 pm
Old Nov 8, 2007, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
I sit corrected... and much better-informed. Thanks, SchmutzigMSP!
Old Nov 8, 2007, 5:41 am

Programs: PC Plat. Ambassador, DL PM
Feeling out of the loop...

What exactly is the BUMP program and how does it work? Something where you are booked on another airline and can exchange it for NW?? Is there some sort of explanation somewhere? Thanks
Old Nov 8, 2007, 5:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by canndlewic
Is there some sort of explanation somewhere? Thanks
I don't know of a better explanation than SchmutzigMSP's post above.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by canndlewic
Feeling out of the loop...

What exactly is the BUMP program and how does it work? Something where you are booked on another airline and can exchange it for NW?? Is there some sort of explanation somewhere? Thanks
It stands for "Bring Us More Passengers". Yes, it allows you to have NW take control of your ticket on another airline (but not ALL airlines) and have them put you on a flight of theirs.

Search the forum for BUMP program; there are many threads on it in the past.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 5:34 am

Would this route be able to be BUMP'ed or does NW/KL need to specifically run the same route?
AA DTW-ORD
RJ ORD-AMM
RJ AMM-DEL

RJ DAM-AMM
RJ AMM-ORD
AA ORD-DTW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.