Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connecting Time at DTW, per Expertflyer
Note: If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it counts as a domestic arrival, and the D-I or D-D times below apply.
DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes

D-I: 35 minutes (30 minutes if connecting to NRT)

I-D: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

I-I: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

Generic online and offline connections:
D-D: 45 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour 30 minutes
I-I: 1 hour

For connections between DL and another carrier: 2 hours for D-D and D-I; 2 hours 30 minutes for I-D and I-I.

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Times are also padded, checking flight aware that route usually runs just a hair over an hour, vs the 1h25m its blocked at, meaning your 35 min connection could typically be closer to ~55. Obviously the winds and various other things can impact this, but odds are youre fine
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I tend to feel comfortable with short connections myself, but earlier this year my gamble did cost me a 20+hr delay.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:46 am

With such a short connection time, sometimes you make it but your checked luggage doesn’t and vice versa. Also forget about waiting for a pink-tag bag at the gate with such little time.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
With such a short connection time, sometimes you make it but your checked luggage doesn’t and vice versa. Also forget about waiting for a pink-tag bag at the gate with such little time.
You are correct. Short connections are not for those that have not planned ahead; including using the restroom on the plane before landing.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:11 am

I regularly make the 35min connection at DTW, but usually getting into DTW from a small airport. I'd be more concerned with getting out of ORD on time than getting from gate to gate in DTW. Keep in mind the tram is out of action at DTW
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse
I'm willing to take a sub-40 minute connection for domestic-domestic when I know there are a solid 2-4 additional flights to my final destination that day if the connection ends up being a near miss. But definitely not for a last or only flight of the day to that destination.
If I have late meetings or early dinner plans, I'll almost always book the last flight of the night with a 35-minute connection if the alternative is flying the next day. Yeah, I might get caught in the middle and have an unplanned hotel stay, but chances are I won't, and that's better than a guaranteed hotel stay at the origin plus a guaranteed late arrival.

Even in OP's case, I wouldn't worry too much about booking that itinerary. DTW is an extremely easy airport for connecting, especially mainline to mainline, and at noon, even if there aren't additional direct DTW-TYO flights, there are bound to be alternate routings available.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I tend to feel comfortable with short connections myself, but earlier this year my gamble did cost me a 20+hr delay.
But how many times have you avoided a 3-hour layover?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by RRDD
You are correct. Short connections are not for those that have not planned ahead; including using the restroom on the plane before landing.
I don't need to pee every 45 minutes, so if I have a 35 minute connection I don't have to worry about restrooms....
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by wakobav
I regularly make the 35min connection at DTW, but usually getting into DTW from a small airport. I'd be more concerned with getting out of ORD on time than getting from gate to gate in DTW. Keep in mind the tram is out of action at DTW
The tram shouldn't be a factor. The OP's itin showed an MD-90 (that will arrive on Concourse A) connecting to an A350 - and all the long-haul widebodies depart from the middle of Concourse A. This is likely a 5-7 minute walk.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I don't need to pee every 45 minutes, so if I have a 35 minute connection I don't have to worry about restrooms....
I take it you're under 60 years old.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by wakobav
The tram shouldn't be a factor. The OP's itin showed an MD-90 (that will arrive on Concourse A) connecting to an A350 - and all the long-haul widebodies depart from the middle of Concourse A. This is likely a 5-7 minute walk.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
I'm with the majority here - if you don't want a 35 minute connection, don't book it, but it'll probably work out. It's all about the importance of the second flight. 55 minutes at JFK enroute a once daily to KEF makes me pretty nervous; a 35 minute at ATL enroute RIC, not so much.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:53 am

Hello guys,

I'm trying to book a trip NRT - DTW - ELM and I see the layover in DTW is 1hr 25mins. Will that be enough time to go through customs? I'm flying Delta Airlines and have US passport only one luggage to recheck. Thanks!

Last edited by newbie1975; Apr 27, 2019 at 8:21 am
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
It's enough time but it's not a lot of time. That said, if you miss the DTW-ELM flight due to any delay beyond your control (such as NRT-DTW being late or customs taking too long), DL will put you on the next DTW-ELM flight that has a seat available for no charge, so I'd book this connection.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
It's enough time but it's not a lot of time. That said, if you miss the DTW-ELM flight due to any delay beyond your control (such as NRT-DTW being late or customs taking too long), DL will put you on the next DTW-ELM flight that has a seat available for no charge, so I'd book this connection.
Thanks! What about Delta ELM-DTW 35mins layover to catch ICN (Korean Air) I see most of the options are 35mins layover in Detroit, is that too short? Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.