Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connecting Time at DTW, per Expertflyer
Note: If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it counts as a domestic arrival, and the D-I or D-D times below apply.
DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes

D-I: 35 minutes (30 minutes if connecting to NRT)

I-D: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

I-I: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

Generic online and offline connections:
D-D: 45 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour 30 minutes
I-I: 1 hour

For connections between DL and another carrier: 2 hours for D-D and D-I; 2 hours 30 minutes for I-D and I-I.

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by mot29
That is pretty tight -- this thread shows the MCT for DL-DL I-D as 40 minutes. Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread
I expect there is an earlier MCI-DTW flight that you could change to? Or DL might reroute you through ATL or SEA but you would miss the 350.
Yeah, the 36 minutes worries me. I'm hoping to call Delta to see if they can get us an earlier flight out of MCI. It's just a bummer since it's either a 36 minute layover or a 4hr 35min layover, nothing in between (unless we want yet another layover added in). I really do want to fly on the 350, so hoping we can figure it out.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Jfultz81
Yeah, the 36 minutes worries me. I'm hoping to call Delta to see if they can get us an earlier flight out of MCI.
If D-I is 40, then you're below MCT and entitled to a free-of-charge itinerary change.

But why are you "hoping to call Delta"? Why not just call Delta?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:16 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I-D MCT and D-I MCT are not the same thing
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by bennos
If D-I is 40, then you're below MCT and entitled to a free-of-charge itinerary change.

But why are you "hoping to call Delta"? Why not just call Delta?
I guess I should have said I'm hoping to get ahold of Delta. I tried yesterday the hold time was over two hours.

According to Delta (via Twitter), the MCT is only 30 minutes so I supposedly should be fine, even though they confirmed the gate closes 15 minutes before take off. That effectively gives me 21 minutes to taxi to the gate, get off the plane, and get to the next flight. I guess it's too bad if I need to go to the bathroom or buy a bottle of water for our next almost 14 hour flight. They said if I wanted to take the earlier flight, it would cause a stop-over and I'd have to pay an additional fee (since the layover is over 4 hours).
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:32 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
It's not a stopover on an international itinerary, that rule is for domestic connections. Call back.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:58 am

I got told by another person that the "rules of my ticket" don't allow for the changes I'm requesting and that I can cancel and rebook for a fee. This is seriously obnoxious. I didn't ask them to change my flight times to make it so I may not make my next flight.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I believe you had a communications problem. Did you book the ticket directly with Delta? If so, the next time you call, after an agent has pulled up your reservation, state 'I believe a schedule change has left me below Minimum Connect Time.' Delta has an obligation to fix it - free of charge.

If you didn't book with Delta, contact the party - Orbitz, whomever - that did. They must fix it.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:33 am

We did book directly with Delta. I finally got someone willing to help out and we're being rebooked on the 6:25 a.m. flight. While I hate having an over 4 hour layover, I'll take that over having anxiety about missing our flight. We had a trip a few years back where we has several cancelled flights and it was a nightmare. Spending 12 hours overnight in the Copenhagen airport, while it was closed was not a fun experience (we had to stay inside the airport because our next flight was supposed to be super early.. and it ended up getting cancelled).
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mot29
That is pretty tight -- this thread shows the MCT for DL-DL I-D as 40 minutes. Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread
I expect there is an earlier MCI-DTW flight that you could change to? Or DL might reroute you through ATL or SEA but you would miss the 350.
The wiki info is wrong. Just checked with EF and there have been a number of changes. MCT for DL-DL D-I is now 35 minutes with a few exceptions. I've updated the wiki.
Old May 12, 2018, 7:29 pm

DTW To NRT Connection / Delta / Oh Boy

Hey, everyone. Yep, I got one of those REALLY short connection times. First is from Charlotte to Detroit. Then Detroit to Tokyo and then Manila.

I have exactly 37 minute connection time to get off the flight at Detroit and make the flight to Tokyo. ALL of my flights are Delta. I have NEVER been to the Detroit airport. I've heard this is totally doable. Thoughts?
Old May 12, 2018, 10:55 pm

[QUOTE=comsecfor;29747251I have exactly 37 minute connection time to get off the flight at Detroit and make the flight to Tokyo. ALL of my flights are Delta. I have NEVER been to the Detroit airport. I've heard this is totally doable. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

The MCT at DTW for DL D-I is 35 minutes. Yes, as I have found out a few times over the years, it is just about doable.
comsecfor likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 11:38 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As this concerns a DL-only itinerary, we’ll move it to our Delta forum where there’ll be considerable expertise on the success of short connections.

NWIFlyer
Senior Moderator
Old May 12, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by comsecfor
Hey, everyone. Yep, I got one of those REALLY short connection times. First is from Charlotte to Detroit. Then Detroit to Tokyo and then Manila.

I have exactly 37 minute connection time to get off the flight at Detroit and make the flight to Tokyo. ALL of my flights are Delta. I have NEVER been to the Detroit airport. I've heard this is totally doable. Thoughts?
I just did that yesterday at DTW - it's doable but you gotta hustle. I was coming from ORD and going on the A350 to NRT and I was not gonna miss it even though it was like 35 min connect. ORD-departure was actually late but I still made it.

I suggest you use the Delta app to plan the gate to gate route - the app is quite amazing at it and gives precise direction, i.e., walk, turn, train, etc. I went from A6 to A50 in 7-8 minutes...
Old May 12, 2018, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by wlau
I just did that yesterday at DTW - it's doable but you gotta hustle. I was coming from ORD and going on the A350 to NRT and I was not gonna miss it even though it was like 35 min connect. ORD-departure was actually late but I still made it.

I suggest you use the Delta app to plan the gate to gate route - the app is quite amazing at it and gives precise direction, i.e., walk, turn, train, etc. I went from A6 to A50 in 7-8 minutes...
I actually have the app! Didn't know it did that! That's pretty cool! So, since it's all Delta, it'll all be on the same area / one-mile stretch? I won't have to change to different part of the airport?
Old May 13, 2018, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Definitely doable but don't stop for anything. The NRT flight should be in the middle of A so you won't have to walk the full length of A.
comsecfor likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.