Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connecting Time at DTW, per Expertflyer
Note: If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it counts as a domestic arrival, and the D-I or D-D times below apply.
DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes

D-I: 35 minutes (30 minutes if connecting to NRT)

I-D: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

I-I: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

Generic online and offline connections:
D-D: 45 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour 30 minutes
I-I: 1 hour

For connections between DL and another carrier: 2 hours for D-D and D-I; 2 hours 30 minutes for I-D and I-I.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
My last trip through DTW involved walking between A67 and B16. A couple of the moving walkways in the A concourse were not in operation, and the tram accessed by escalators was not in operation. It took a solid 15 minutes of walking for me to make the connection.

While I don't think the SkyClub near A67 has reopened, Delta has reopened the club that serves Concourses B/C (which IMO is more pleasant than the main club in the center of A concourse).
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Why is it down? They just did a complete refurb that took it down for awhile.
My guess is that they are concerned about people congregating in not very well ventilated close quarters while on the trams. When I went through DTW this weekend, it doesn't look like they are using the gates on either end of concourse A and the restaurants, shops and restrooms all look to be pretty much shutdown. The flight departures list today show them using gates A9 - A70. Without the traffic on the ends, there's not as much need for the trams. There were quite a few CR7/CR9 departures from the C gates. These used to be pretty much the exclusive domain of the CR2's and they would often use A gates for CR7/CR9 departures. It looks like they are limiting the A gates for mostly mainline departures and pushing more regional flights to B/C concourse so that they don't need to use the north and south end gates in concourse A. It also lessens the need for the Sky Clubs on the ends of concourse A which are still shut down.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 18, 2021 at 10:12 pm
Old Mar 19, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Hertz PC
Why is it down? They just did a complete refurb that took it down for awhile.
https://www.metroairport.com/travel-...es-know-you-go
Old Mar 19, 2021, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I know it's closed. I was asking why.

No other airport shut their tram down. Concern about spacing wise, I never saw tram packed even pre-CV19.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Hertz PC
I know it's closed. I was asking why.

No other airport shut their tram down. Concern about spacing wise, I never saw tram packed even pre-CV19.
And I was pointing out the information given by the airport website, what little there is of it.
Old May 4, 2021, 11:37 am

DTW connection on Delta

Delta has changed our flights 3 times so we now have a connection in DTW with only a 35 minute layover.
The flights are LAX to DTW on DL 791 and then DTW to CVG on DL5215 (Operated by Endeavor Air DBA Delta Connection)

Will we have enough time (if our flight is on schedule)? Does anyone know which gates these flights will most like arrive/depart from?

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2021, 11:41 am

Programs: Delta PM

Should get you all you need!
tardyturtle likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk. As long as you don't have mobility impairments, 35 mins is fine. DTW is very efficient. Unless your flight is tomorrow, nobody (not even Delta) knows which gate numbers will be used.

That said, since you've had a schedule change (or 3) haha, Delta will let you rebook onto any itinerary you want between LAX and CVG. So if you'd rather have more time to avoid being stressed or to get a meal between flights, then you can search for itineraries between LAX and CVG on that same day, pick your favorite (don't worry about price), then call Delta and they'll make the change for free.

Also, you didn't say when your trip is. If it's in July or later, there's a good chance you'll get another schedule change between now and then, so in that case, don't worry too much about it.
beachmouse and tardyturtle like this.
Old May 4, 2021, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't see DL5215. I see DL5325 with 8:40PM departure. It's been departing from concourse B/C pretty consistently. Since this is the last departure of the day to CVG and you will likely have to go through the tunnel from concourse A (used for mainline flights), I'd probably try to get a longer connection.
MSPeconomist and GagaPilot like this.
Old May 4, 2021, 12:15 pm

Technically you exceed minimum connection time, but it is not something I would advise. There appears to be a good chance your DTW-CVG will be leaving from B/C which is only accessible via tunnel from A concourse (where LAX flight will arrive). If you arrive at the far end of A then it is about 1/2 mile walk to the tunnel. If you are sitting in coach you also have to factor in time to deplane and you have to be at next gate 15 minutes ahead of time.
Old May 4, 2021, 4:19 pm

5325 is correct. Flight is June 20.
we started on a direct flight but they rescheduled it to an overnight flight, so we switched to this flight. It started out with a 1 hr layover, then 45, now 35.
Old May 4, 2021, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL DM
I would definitely advise a longer connection if possible, especially for late afternoon flights. As minor delays cascade throughout the day it’s better to have some padding. Research which new itinerary you want, and call Delta and have them make the change.
MSPeconomist and cmd320 like this.
Old May 4, 2021, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL DM
As noted above, you can call Delta and they'll change to any flight that day if you tell them the new schedule doesn't work.

There are some good options through SLC and MSP that day that can give you more comfortable layovers.
Old May 4, 2021, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by tardyturtle
As noted above, you can call Delta and they'll change to any flight that day if you tell them the new schedule doesn't work.

There are some good options through SLC and MSP that day that can give you more comfortable layovers.
You might even be able to fix this on-line... click on "Modify Flight" -> "Change flights". If the stars are aligned you may see a bunch of alternate routings that are all priced at exactly the same price as your original ticket. Even if it says "0 available at this price" -- if it shows up you're allowed to change to that routing for free.

Of course the more likely option is the website won't allow this and you'll need to call Delta. After many hours they will call you - just read them the specific flights you want and they should change it for free.

Tell them you have mobility issues and you're not comfortable with such a tight connection.
Old May 4, 2021, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
... just read them the specific flights you want and they should change it for free.
this — **DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST** — anything you can do to make their job easier will work to your advantage

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Tell them you have mobility issues and you're not comfortable with such a tight connection.
regardless of whether or not it’s true, you really don’t have to give DL any rationale

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.