Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 1, 20, 9:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Wiki Link
Minimum Connecting Time at DTW, per Expertflyer
Note: If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it counts as a domestic arrival, and the D-I or D-D times below apply.
DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes

D-I: 35 minutes (30 minutes if connecting to NRT)

I-D: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport that doesn't have preclearance; 1 hour 15 minutes if connecting to BDL, CLT, LAN, or PHL and the date is between 27-Oct-2019 and 28-Mar-2020.)

I-I: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

Generic online and offline connections:
D-D: 45 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour 30 minutes
I-I: 1 hour

For connections between DL and another carrier: 2 hours for D-D and D-I; 2 hours 30 minutes for I-D and I-I.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 12, 19, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
DTW will be one of the easiest airports to clear at. You'll have time to waste most likely.
Old Nov 12, 19, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Spire, others
After you clear Customs & Immigration and re-check your bags, if the Security Theater line looks too long, exit and go up a couple of flights to the regular entrance.
Old Nov 12, 19, 11:45 pm

Thanks all the useful input! Won't change those flights then.
Old Feb 1, 20, 10:41 am

Snagged a 28k miles deal for May FLL-DTW-LHR but itís a 1:01 connection time to the last flight out of the night. If we miss that we wouldnít get to London until the next night at 1030pm so itís a big risk. Thought about changing to something earlier in day but itís quite a bit more miles. We good staying here?
Old Feb 1, 20, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by JTE458 View Post
Snagged a 28k miles deal for May FLL-DTW-LHR but it’s a 1:01 connection time to the last flight out of the night. If we miss that we wouldn’t get to London until the next night at 1030pm so it’s a big risk. Thought about changing to something earlier in day but it’s quite a bit more miles. We good staying here?
If it's looking like your flight into DTW will be delayed, you could ask to be routed via ATL (which leaves about 30 minutes earlier). Note that the 10:30PM arrival is still the same day (non-stop gets in at 11:10AM next day).
Old Feb 1, 20, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by JTE458 View Post
Snagged a 28k miles deal for May FLL-DTW-LHR but itís a 1:01 connection time to the last flight out of the night. If we miss that we wouldnít get to London until the next night at 1030pm so itís a big risk. Thought about changing to something earlier in day but itís quite a bit more miles. We good staying here?
Without knowing the exact date, I can't say definitively, but there's likely a AMS or CDG flight that can be combined with a London connection,
Old Feb 1, 20, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
If it's looking like your flight into DTW will be delayed, you could ask to be routed via ATL (which leaves about 30 minutes earlier). Note that the 10:30PM arrival is still the same day (non-stop gets in at 11:10AM next day).
Good idea. Iím not concerned with making it if we leave FLL on time but if itís delayed ahead of time that ATL would work.
Old Apr 29, 20, 5:26 pm

Connection at dtw

Is 47 minutes enough to transfer from domestic to domestic. Flying in from PHL on delta and to SLC also on delta but 47 minutes just seems like it might be tight.
Old Apr 29, 20, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
47 minutes is plenty of time at DTW.
Old May 27, 20, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
DL to DL MCT @ Dtw

Hello. DL to DL both domestic with a 28 min connection; I'm a wheelchair dependent senior. I believe these rescheduled flights are below DTW minimum connecting time.
Can I use this short timing to get DL to allow me to reschedule my award ticket without penalty? Thanks.
Old May 27, 20, 7:59 am

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by cagcag View Post
Hello. DL to DL both domestic with a 28 min connection; I'm a wheelchair dependent senior. I believe these rescheduled flights are below DTW minimum connecting time.
Can I use this short timing to get DL to allow me to reschedule my award ticket without penalty? Thanks.
Minimum connection time for domestic to domestic is 30 minutes, so you should be able to reschedule for free. Depending on where and when you're going, you may need to reroute through another hub or have a very long connection because Delta has cut frequencies due to COVID.
Old Jun 25, 20, 1:26 pm

Programs: VS Flying Club, CO OnePass
Hello, just wondered if anyone has flown recently during COVID? I have a flight for August from LHR - EWR via DTW and the Delta ticket I have has a layer of 1hr40min in DTW. Just wondered if people thought this was ok given I will have checked luggage. Usually I would fly Virgin straight to Newark but have been re-routed through DTW on Delta

Search this Thread
Search Engine: