Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connecting Time at DTW, per Expertflyer
Note: If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it counts as a domestic arrival, and the D-I or D-D times below apply.
DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes

D-I: 35 minutes (30 minutes if connecting to NRT)

I-D: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

I-I: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

Generic online and offline connections:
D-D: 45 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour 30 minutes
I-I: 1 hour

For connections between DL and another carrier: 2 hours for D-D and D-I; 2 hours 30 minutes for I-D and I-I.

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by arkangel
Just FYI, if you're flying on to Canada with checked baggage, it will be tagged all the way thru to your final destination, so no need to wait for it at DTW. At least that's what I've been told. Will see if this is really the case in a couple of weeks when flying PEK-DTW-YYZ.
Make sure they tag it ITI with the purple ITI tag at checkin. Otherwise it won't transfer. It'll still show on the bag belt, do not pick it up. Agents will pick it up off belt and put on to next flight.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Just FYI, if you're flying on to Canada with checked baggage, it will be tagged all the way thru to your final destination, so no need to wait for it at DTW. At least that's what I've been told. Will see if this is really the case in a couple of weeks when flying PEK-DTW-YYZ.
ITI bag transfers has been available at DTW for a few years. Just request it when you check in at te foreign check in. It is a purple tag with ITI on it that is preprinted and tagged with the string.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:29 pm

Having never made a I-D connection before, what is the experience like? Closest thing i have done is DUB>EWR but that has Pre-Clearance so it doesn't really count.

I'm on NRT>DTW>DSM coming up, in D1 if that makes a difference. Will I have to collect my bags, then recheck, or what are the steps? 4 hr connection so time isn't a concern, just curious.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shimps1
Having never made a I-D connection before, what is the experience like? Closest thing i have done is DUB>EWR but that has Pre-Clearance so it doesn't really count.

I'm on NRT>DTW>DSM coming up, in D1 if that makes a difference. Will I have to collect my bags, then recheck, or what are the steps? 4 hr connection so time isn't a concern, just curious.
Yes, as noted above, you need to collect bags and re-check them for onward domestic connections. Before you get your bags, you go through an Automated Passport Control kiosk, collect a receipt and then get in the immigrations line to see a CBP officer who will verify passport, ask you a few questions, collect your receipt, and finalize your re-entry into the US. There is a luggage re-check station after collecting your bags and exiting immigrations. You will also have to go through a TSA security check before going up an escalator and re-entering the terminal depatures level.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

4 hours connection at DTW? that is eternity.

Arrival
  • CBP immigration
  • Pick up checked bags
  • Custom checkpoint
  • Drop bags off for onward flights
  • TSA (this is always the bottleneck as there is no TSA-pre nor SkyPriority).
  • Head up escalator, Skyclub entrance is on your left just before you get into the main terminal gate area
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by tentseller
TSA (this is always the bottleneck as there is no TSA-pre nor SkyPriority).
If desired you can always exit into the arrivals area and go up the escalators to the top level which has PreCheck and CLEAR. (IIRC there was a security checkpoint before the top level, but it didn't have PreCheck)

Obviously, whether this is worth it depends on how long the line is and your personal preferences regarding nude-o-scope vs. WTMD and leaving laptops/liquids in bags etc.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
4 hours connection at DTW? that is eternity.

Arrival
  • CBP immigration
  • Pick up checked bags
  • Custom checkpoint
  • Drop bags off for onward flights
  • TSA (this is always the bottleneck as there is no TSA-pre nor SkyPriority).
  • Head up escalator, Skyclub entrance is on your left just before you get into the main terminal gate area
I'll have SkyClub access even though DTW is the arrival airport? I thought you got in on departure only.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:36 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'll have SkyClub access even though DTW is the arrival airport? I thought you got in on departure only.
You get access when connecting to or from an international D1 flight.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
it's not your arrival airport. Its just a connection.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: DL GM
Is it possible to not have it checked through all the way to YYZ? I'm doing the same thing (but from NRT) and I'm planning to just skip the final DTW-YYZ leg and just do DTW to my real final destination.

My original plan was to just do carry-ons so I didn't need to worry about my bags being checked through but if I can get them checked only to DTW and then claim them before customs and not drop them back off that would be way more convenient.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
Is it possible to not have it checked through all the way to YYZ? I'm doing the same thing (but from NRT) and I'm planning to just skip the final DTW-YYZ leg and just do DTW to my real final destination.

My original plan was to just do carry-ons so I didn't need to worry about my bags being checked through but if I can get them checked only to DTW and then claim them before customs and not drop them back off that would be way more convenient.
No you cant short check bags. Also the bags will be labeled to not return to customer within US. This is the surest way to get DL to audit/close your SM account. It provides clear evidence you never intended to fly to YYZ.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Just wanted to say thanks again, all. We are scheduled in a little tiny bit late, but no worries.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by RumPatrol

Short-checking is prohibited by DL rules but there is a loophole - if your connection is >4 hours you can check it to DTW - because, you know, you are going to get a shower and change of clothes while you kill time. This is covered in the international contract of carriage.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Short-checking is prohibited by DL rules but there is a loophole - if your connection is >4 hours you can check it to DTW - because, you know, you are going to get a shower and change of clothes while you kill time. This is covered in the international contract of carriage.
Actually its 6 hours.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No you cant short check bags. Also the bags will be labeled to not return to customer within US. This is the surest way to get DL to audit/close your SM account. It provides clear evidence you never intended to fly to YYZ.
I'm aware of that, however some of the posts in this thread and others introduce a little confusion on whether or not this was an automatic process or if it had to be requested. I was trying to clarify if it were possible to *not* request it, claim my bags prior to customs as you would in the past and then just not drop them back off.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Actually its 6 hours.
My scheduled layover is 5 hours and 51 minutes, which is why I asked this to begin with as I really would appreciate the shower and change of clothes. Even if I skipped DTW-YYZ, the layover for the other flight is the same. I don't suppose I could talk them into 9 minutes of leeway when checking in at NRT? I'll probably go the carry on route regardless but having some flexibility would be nice.

I do think it would be helpful if the various MCT wikis included information on how that airport handles baggage transfers as many of these policies are airport and airline specific. I think it would be especially helpful for DTW given the prevalence of cheap ex-YYZ TPAC fares via DTW that many US-based flyers are taking advantage of. I imagine there are quite a few US-based flyers, both experienced and inexperienced, who have never done an I to I via US connection before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.