Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connecting Time at DTW, per Expertflyer
Note: If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it counts as a domestic arrival, and the D-I or D-D times below apply.
DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes

D-I: 35 minutes (30 minutes if connecting to NRT)

I-D: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

I-I: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

Generic online and offline connections:
D-D: 45 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour 30 minutes
I-I: 1 hour

For connections between DL and another carrier: 2 hours for D-D and D-I; 2 hours 30 minutes for I-D and I-I.

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
I just had a 30-minute connection in DTW this past weekend. Plenty of time, although I wasn't checking bags. Luckily, both of my flights were in the A Terminal. Use the Delta app to check gates prior to arrival and plan accordingly. The terminal tram can be useful, too.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by eturowski
I just had a 30-minute connection in DTW this past weekend. Plenty of time, although I wasn't checking bags. Luckily, both of my flights were in the A Terminal. Use the Delta app to check gates prior to arrival and plan accordingly. The terminal tram can be useful, too.
The issue isn't whether the passengers can make the connection, it's whether their equipment can....

That said, I'd be alert for a weather waiver for BOS this weekend.

Bob H
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: AA/BA/DL/US Air
SOooo, I finally located a 100,000 BE AVL-DTW-JFK-SVO-AMS-ATL-AVL, for Apr 9 - May 21-----but, (there's always a but), there's a 57 min connection in DTW. Arriving on a puddle jumper from AVL DL 3765 connecting to DL 1532. I've had no luck locating these flights on Flightaware or the AVL Airport site, so I'm not sure of gates arriving and departing.

AM I correct in presuming this is ample connection time? My wife is a seasoned traveler.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ncvet61
SOooo, I finally located a 100,000 BE AVL-DTW-JFK-SVO-AMS-ATL-AVL, for Apr 9 - May 21-----but, (there's always a but), there's a 57 min connection in DTW. Arriving on a puddle jumper from AVL DL 3765 connecting to DL 1532. I've had no luck locating these flights on Flightaware or the AVL Airport site, so I'm not sure of gates arriving and departing.

AM I correct in presuming this is ample connection time? My wife is a seasoned traveler.
You should be fine, even with the trip through the tunnel connecting Concourse B/C to Concourse A. Even if you miss the JFK flight, they will likely just reroute you on one of the 4 daily DTW-AMS flights connecting you to a KL flight to SVO.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:24 am

Hi, I'm new here, and relatively new to air travel, but I think at least 1 of my questions is correct for this thread. I'm traveling from Syracuse, NY to Walla Walla, WA for a job interview. Here is the outbound itinerary my potential employer has chosen:

Delta 6066 Depart SYR 0605, arrive DTW 0750
Delta 2149 Depart DTW 0840, arrive SEA 1041
Alaska 2096 Depart SEA 1255, arrive ALW 1351

Question 1, is 50 minutes enough time for a connection at Detroit at this time of day? I checked, and I have to get from terminal C to A. From this thread, it seems sufficient.

Question 2, I've never changed airlines in the middle of an itinerary before. At Seattle I'm changing airlines from Delta to Alaska Airlines. Will the suitcase I check in SYR make it all the way to ALW? Or will I have to pick it up at the baggage claim in SEA, and then go to the check in desk and recheck it with Alaska Airlines? And if I have to claim and recheck my suitcase and go through security again, will my 2 hour 14 minute layover in SEA be sufficient?

Question 3, how would I go about checking in online and printing boarding passes for my flights the night before? Would I be able to check in at both the Delta and Alaska websites? Or would I need to only check in on Delta's website and see how the luggage situation plays out before checking in with Alaska at the check in desk or gate?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
1. You have plenty of time at DTW - from C you will go down an escalator to the psychedelic tunnel and walk/ride on moving floor to another set of escalators to A.

2. As of 1/15 DL will no longer interline baggage, so if your DL & AS flights are not on the same PNR (separate tickets) you will have to pick up your baggage in Seattle & recheck it.

3. You should be able to check in for your DL flights 24hrs. ahead of time, & then the AS flight 24 hrs. ahead of that departure (assuming they are not on the same PNR).
Old Mar 15, 2013, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by rubesl
1. You have plenty of time at DTW - from C you will go down an escalator to the psychedelic tunnel and walk/ride on moving floor to another set of escalators to A.

2. As of 1/15 DL will no longer interline baggage, so if your DL & AS flights are not on the same PNR (separate tickets) you will have to pick up your baggage in Seattle & recheck it.

3. You should be able to check in for your DL flights 24hrs. ahead of time, & then the AS flight 24 hrs. ahead of that departure (assuming they are not on the same PNR).
Thanks for the information. I received 1 e-ticket with all 3 legs on it and only a final price that's not split between airlines. There's different confirmation numbers for the DL and AS flights though. Is it likely I'll be able to check my suitcase all the way through from SYR to ALW?

And I can access the full itinerary from either DL or AS website. I have different seats on each website, which is kind of weird. For the SEA-ALW leg, Delta says I'm in seat 15D and Alaska says I'm in seat 16B. This is confusing to me.

Last edited by tornado163; Mar 15, 2013 at 3:33 pm
Old Mar 16, 2013, 5:06 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tornado163
Thanks for the information. I received 1 e-ticket with all 3 legs on it and only a final price that's not split between airlines. There's different confirmation numbers for the DL and AS flights though. Is it likely I'll be able to check my suitcase all the way through from SYR to ALW?

And I can access the full itinerary from either DL or AS website. I have different seats on each website, which is kind of weird. For the SEA-ALW leg, Delta says I'm in seat 15D and Alaska says I'm in seat 16B. This is confusing to me.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, tornado163!

It would help to know if you booked these flights on the DL website or through another source. If the former, you should have no problems with baggage transfer. If the latter, it would depend on how the tickets were coded.

No idea why the seat selection is different on the DL/AS sites but it seems to be pretty common. Since you are on an AS flight to ALW, their seat assignment will control. If you are concerned, a quick call to AS should clear it up.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Yes. Having different confirmation numbers for the different airlines is quite common; that doesn't mean they're separate tickets. As long as it's one ticket, DL can check your bag all the way through.

This is a known issue with the DL website; seats it shows for any flight not on DL are pretty much guaranteed to be wrong. For the AS leg, you should go by what the AS website says and change your seat there.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
It would help to know if you booked these flights on the DL website or through another source. If the former, you should have no problems with baggage transfer. If the latter, it would depend on how the tickets were coded.
The tickets were booked for me through a travel agency. The fact that the DL website shows the AS flight makes me optimistic that the luggage will be checked all the way through, but even if it isn't, I should have enough time to recheck it in SEA.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
My flight arriving into DTW has been pushed back and my connection into Toronto YYT has been pushed up, I now arrive into Detroit at 250 and leave for Toronto at 330 is this a legal connection? (40 minutes for US to Canada)

If one has an illegal connection, will they change flights only, or will they change what airports you go through? As in, will they let me change which airport I depart from and/or which airport I connect through?

Last edited by cfabar1; Mar 26, 2013 at 9:21 am Reason: Clarification
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
The minimum domestic-international connection time at DTW is 1 hr, so you should be able to get the flight changed. They will reroute you through anywhere reasonable to get you to YYZ.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by cfabar1
My flight arriving into DTW has been pushed back and my connection into Toronto YYT has been pushed up, I now arrive into Detroit at 250 and leave for Toronto at 330 is this a legal connection? (40 minutes for US to Canada)

If one has an illegal connection, will they change flights only, or will they change what airports you go through? As in, will they let me change which airport I depart from and/or which airport I connect through?
Where are you flying to DTW from? I have done DTW to YYZ in 15 minutes (A73 to C34)
Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Ill be coming from somewhere in the C gates... Buffalo at the moment, but I may inquire about taking the flight from Rochester so I have the time to. Make my connection.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfabar1
Ill be coming from somewhere in the C gates... Buffalo at the moment, but I may inquire about taking the flight from Rochester so I have the time to. Make my connection.
Um, wouldn't it be much quicker to simply drive from BUF to YYZ? The YYZ flights all depart from the C gates as well. I think you should be fine. Delta seems to add a fair amount of extra slop time in the CRJ schedules. On a recent SBN-DTW flight we arrived about 30 minutes ahead of schedule.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 26, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.