Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connecting Time at DTW, per Expertflyer
Note: If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it counts as a domestic arrival, and the D-I or D-D times below apply.
DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes

D-I: 35 minutes (30 minutes if connecting to NRT)

I-D: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

I-I: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

Generic online and offline connections:
D-D: 45 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour 30 minutes
I-I: 1 hour

For connections between DL and another carrier: 2 hours for D-D and D-I; 2 hours 30 minutes for I-D and I-I.

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2008, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
It looks like you are doing:

NW 1500 7:10am-12:54pm A319
NW 3662 1:32pm-2:39pm CR9, operated by Mesaba

NW A319's arrive in Concourse A, pretty much to any gate
Mesaba's CRJ-900's depart from Concourse B

You can easily make this connection, but you won't have time to dilly-dally. Worse-case walk would be from the end of A to the end of B, perhaps 20 minutes at a brisk pace with a tram/ moving sidewalk combo

I would say go ahead and book the flights and consider the following:
-First flight of the day for the aircraft out of SLC, will most certainly leave on-time except for a mechanical reason
-Eastbound flight, meaning it could arrive much earlier due to favorable winds
-SLC is not a delay-prone airport
-There are 3 more DTW-PIT flights that day, at ~5:30pm, ~7:30pm, and ~9:30pm
Old Feb 1, 2009, 3:36 am

Hallo,

i`m looking for a serious information about MCT at DTW. I have 80 minutes coming from Amsterdam ( incl. Immigration ). Is this possible ?
Old Feb 1, 2009, 3:54 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
I just booked a 34 minute connection at DTW. I'll be coming in from CLE and connecting to MKE. Is this reasonable or should I book the later MKE flight?
Thanks.
You're transitting three hubs, and transferring through an airport with 2 terminals (not including the other major terminal, if changing alliances, why did that guy book a flight coming in NW, and leaving UA?!). It really helps us give more accurate numbers if we knew what carriers you were flying.

Originally Posted by s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1
Just remember, in DTW, the tram is ALWAYS faster. Even if you just miss it, it is quicker to wait for the next one than to try to walk if you are in a hurry.

Now, to qualify the ALWAYS...I don't know about running, just walking very fast. I have never ran to try to beat the tram, and this only applies if you are walking from the entrance of the tram or before to the middle tram exit or further. Trust me, I did once miss the tram and figured it would be quicker to walk. Somewhere past half way, the next tram sped by me to the center station. I do advocate walking if you have time and are of normal to overweight. Plus, DTW is a fun and interesting airport to walk through. And, if you have a few extra minutes, the fountain is very nice to watch for a while, too.
I've measured this once (arrived early to the airport). From the outside stations, it's 6 minutes via tram, 15 minutes walking, 12 minutes standing on the moving path, and 10 minutes walking on the moving path. Never ran it, didn't want to attract the attention.

Originally Posted by frank_gayer
Hallo,

i`m looking for a serious information about MCT at DTW. I have 80 minutes coming from Amsterdam ( incl. Immigration ). Is this possible ?
Then I'll jokingly tell you that's iffy. Some would suggest 90-120. You'll retrieve your bags from international, then re-check the bags (correct? I've always terminated in DTW) and go back through domestic security. You can't get lost, yet you're at the mercy of the lines.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:05 am

Programs: DL DM
Hallo,

I, too, would say that's very iffy. Get a long line in immigration, and you don't have a prayer. If you're connecting to the last flight of the day to your destination, that's a risk that I wouldn't take, unless you want to experience DTW overnight.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL PM/Sky Club/Marriott Gold
Not always great at mid-day from B/C to A

I just booked a 34 minute connection at DTW. I'll be coming in from CLE and connecting to MKE. Is this reasonable or should I book the later MKE flight?
Thanks.
I live in CLE and connect in DTW frequently. Many times, espcially at midday, the plane has sat for up to 20 minutes waiting for a the people who martial the plane into the gate. Then, you wait for bags on the jetway.

Given an originally tight booking connection [typical for domestic hops in DTW], a sprint through the tunnel if you're outbound on the A concourse, and the extra 20 minutes that the plane sat, it is VERY possible to miss connections. I've had that happen, and seen it happen to fellow PAX.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Thanks.
If your flight leaves on time you can make it, but all it takes is a small hiccup and you won't make it -- having said this, keep in mind that the airline does pad the scheduled flight times.

I have a bunch of terminal A to C/B DTW connections with scheduled 35-40 minute connection times and despite too often taking off from NYC over an hour late and a 10 minute ground hold at DTW looking for a gate/ground crew/ground equipment, I still have managed to make the connections with a mad dash.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:27 am

Programs: PC Plat. Ambassador, DL PM
Thanks.
Bottom line is, if you actually have 34 minutes in the airport, it will be PLENTY of time. Your question should be, will you have 34 minutes or will you be delayed in some way.

Hallo,

This really will depend on which AMS-DTW flight you are on and your connecting gate. I would say 80% of the time you will make your connection. Keep in mind that long flights usually arrive early.

Most of the international flights land between 12:00 and 2:00 pm, so you could find some long lines at immigration if you are on the 2nd AMS-DTW flight of the day. If you are in WBC or in the front of Y, you will have an advantage over your fellow passangers. Make sure to use the restroom and fill out immigration forms on the plane, it will save you time once you land.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:05 am
mdb

Hallo,

Not with Checked luggage. Carry-on you should be ok.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL GM
[QUOTE=sbagdon;11179865]You're transitting three hubs, and transferring through an airport with 2 terminals (not including the other major terminal, if changing alliances, why did that guy book a flight coming in NW, and leaving UA?!). It really helps us give more accurate numbers if we knew what carriers you were flying.

Well... what you say is true, the OP didn't give us enough information. However, in directly s/he did. CO cancelled their CLE-DTW flight last year. (which is odd, because it happened AFTER the announcement that they were moving to Star Alliance) so the only airline(s) operating that flight is NW (in addition to mainline, XJ & 9E also operate.)

The only carrier with N/S service between DTW & MKE is NW (again, also operated by mainline & XJ).

What would be ideal is that both flights are mainline, or both flights are XJ (or 9E, XJ) That way, there would be no need for the tunnel of lights.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:35 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
How about this one:

SAN-DTW-JFK with a 33 min connection time, AND the inbound looks like it arrives at A66 every day, and the outbound is on Comair out of terminal B.

Delta.com is showing this and I am thinking about it despite the obvious risk.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Originally Posted by cfwolfs
Well... what you say is true, the OP didn't give us enough information. However, in directly s/he did. CO cancelled their CLE-DTW flight last year.
Of course, the OP was from two years ago, so they might actually have flown on CO.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by srodr
How about this one:

SAN-DTW-JFK with a 33 min connection time, AND the inbound looks like it arrives at A66 every day, and the outbound is on Comair out of terminal B.

Delta.com is showing this and I am thinking about it despite the obvious risk.
If your flight leaves SAN on time and DTW has the ground crew to get you into the gate on time, then scheduled 33 minutes is something I am generally able to do without trouble when going from A to the far end of B or C.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat/1M, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, HH Gold
I agree - if you're inbound is ontime should be no problem. Definitely take the tram from A66 to the fountain.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:24 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Just a quick follow up: I made the connection with time to spare. And I don´t think it would have been physically possible to have 2 gates further apart at DTW.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by srodr
Just a quick follow up: I made the connection with time to spare. And I don´t think it would have been physically possible to have 2 gates further apart at DTW.
Glad you made it! I actually had a flight from ELM arrive LATE at the END of the B concourse and my connection was from A72... I could actually look out the window at the end of B and see the plane and it was SOO close I could almost touch it...but yeah I was able to get there in about 15 minutes with a little bit of hussle so it worked out!

I LOVE DTW...imho it is the best large airport in America, at least the McNamara terminal if you are flying all NW/DL/CO... I don't know if I'd want to transfer between McNamara and North...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.