"Keep Delta My Delta" Campaign

Old Nov 18, 2006, 7:00 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by justageek
Who is the "my" in "my Delta"?

Don't Delta's creditors effectively own Delta -- in which case it is really "their" Delta?

Or am I misunderstanding the situation? (Which is quite possible--I'm only going on the insufficiently detailed news reports I've read.)
Yes, technically and financially the creditors own Delta; the 'my' here is symbolic, spiritual, whatever you want to call it - the rallying call - after all, there would be no Delta without its employees. Many attributes of Delta that we like are the result of the work of all of Delta's employees, be they management or rank-and-file.

Originally Posted by RobertLeach
So, I think the Delta "family" -- "our" Delta -- is being reborn and reconstituted, and it just gripes my butt to think that we would stand by and let a bunch of third rate airline operators like those in Phoenix take over the company, just as Delta is getting its act together again..)
I couldn't agree more. As one who spends a significant amount of time on Delta, I have come to feel that DL is my somewhat extended family that is finally coming together again. As I flew the inaugural JFK-BOM a few weeks ago, and the recent LGW-JFK inaugural, I could sense some real excitement in the air and a sense of a rebirth.

While flying on multiple DL international and domestic flights in the last few days since the news, I couldn't help but feel pangs of sadness, regret, and yes, even some anger, as I looked around at the refurbished interiors, the AVOD PTVs, the cleaner airplanes, the smart uniforms, the smiling FAs, etc., that this fast turnaround (not just in the physical product, but the airline as a whole) executed by the whole Delta team, could all be for nought if this US (or any other merger/acquisition) deal went through. I am not necessarily concerned about the material and physical changes of the product, etc., but the fact the slowly-rebuilding traditional Delta family spirit, for years so elusive and yet now within reach again, could all be vaporized in one fell swoop.

Last edited by ClipperDelta; Nov 18, 2006 at 7:05 am
Old Nov 18, 2006, 8:04 am

Programs: DL 2MM/FC/PM, CO, USAir
Thumbs up

Though I haven't flown over this past week, I agree that DELTA is becoming the family again that so many of us have known through the years. From reservations agents, gate agents, CR staff to pilots and especially the wonderful FLIGHT ATTENDANTS, the "Spirit of Delta" is returning more and more each day.

Thank you, Delta!
Old Nov 18, 2006, 11:57 am

Programs: DL 2.945MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
In years past Delta was always a "family" airline and the extended family included the customers who flew the carrier religiously. It was this family environment that was damaged somewhat, at least on the employee side, by Ron Allen, and then totally destroyed, on both the employee and customer side, by King Leo.

This chased away customers and alienated employees. All of us in the "family" have been in foster care for the past couple of years.

The actions of current management have done much, at least from the customer standpoint, to repair things. I, for one, plan to return to the carrier full time in 2007 and regain PM status.

And particularly for those based in ATL, Delta has been a huge driving force behind the enormous economic expansion in the city. And with more and more international nonstop destinations, this growth will be fueled even more.

So, I think the Delta "family" -- "our" Delta -- is being reborn and reconstituted, and it just gripes my butt to think that we would stand by and let a bunch of third rate airline operators like those in Phoenix take over the company, just as Delta is getting its act together again.

And, yes, I do realize that the creditors will call the shots on this.

How much better could it be said. Here's another foster child who is going home in 2007.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:06 pm

So, I think the Delta "family" -- "our" Delta -- is being reborn and reconstituted, and it just gripes my butt to think that we would stand by and let a bunch of third rate airline operators like those in Phoenix take over the company, just as Delta is getting its act together again.
Very well said. I might now be flying Delta as often anymore as I used to, but I still consider it "my airline". There may have been some bumps, but in general, neither me nor my parents ever had any major issues with Delta (aside from codesharing with AF), and to see some ego-tripping CEO that can't even merge two airlines as is come in threatening to merge with Delta is something that scares me. But I remain confident that Delta will be able to convince (most of) their creditors that Delta is better off as a standalone carrier.

Last edited by DAL767-400ER; Nov 18, 2006 at 12:33 pm
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:25 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
What can we do to keep Delta out Delta? Can we organize something like Save our SkyMiles? If there is a large customer outcry, that may sway the creditors one way or the other.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:29 pm

I see a new tool for management when they need to increase employee morale- ask someone to launch a hostile takeover. I do think it's great to see people pulling together like this though.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 2:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Dynastar
I see a new tool for management when they need to increase employee morale- ask someone to launch a hostile takeover. I do think it's great to see people pulling together like this though.
Maybe the fight to avoid the takeover will improve morale, but regardless this is a BAD, BAD MERGER IDEA.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 2:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TTT
What can we do to keep Delta out Delta? Can we organize something like Save our SkyMiles? If there is a large customer outcry, that may sway the creditors one way or the other.
I don't know about creditors, but I think there is a political angle to this given that such a huge merger will require DOJ approval and that this could be influenced by customers.

And perhaps the creditors would secondarily be influenced if they saw where there was a dedicated and motivated consortium of Georgia/Utah/Kentucky/Ohio politicians aligned with Delta employees and Delta customers who intended to press DOJ to deny the deal. If it became apparent that gaining regulatory approval for the deal was going to take a long, long time -- during which time Delta's future would remain uncertain and unsure -- then it might be enough to sour them on the deal.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 5:52 pm

I don't know about creditors, but I think there is a political angle to this given that such a huge merger will require DOJ approval and that this could be influenced by customers.

And perhaps the creditors would secondarily be influenced if they saw where there was a dedicated and motivated consortium of Georgia/Utah/Kentucky/Ohio politicians aligned with Delta employees and Delta customers who intended to press DOJ to deny the deal. If it became apparent that gaining regulatory approval for the deal was going to take a long, long time -- during which time Delta's future would remain uncertain and unsure -- then it might be enough to sour them on the deal.
Again, couldn't agree more. I think the most effective way for us to have any influence on this deal is through the political/regulatory channels, pointing out the issues from a consumer and competitive landscape perspective. One advantage on DL's side would be the potentially long regulatory approval process if enough anti-trust issues were raised, which could in turn dampen a creditor's enthusiasm for any part of the $4 billion pot....
Old Nov 18, 2006, 6:30 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
There is also the public perception that customers could target. If there is a lot of customer resistance to the merger, it is possible that investors would expect the merger to fall through and show that through a sell off of LCC shares. Since US's deal is based on the value of a specific number of LCC shares rather than a specific value, a devaluation of the LCC shares could sour the deal.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 8:27 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Delta
Originally Posted by Dynastar

Yeah, I think the US plan is going to backfire on them. The plan was to shake DL to the core. But what they're going to see is the airline and it's employees working together to keep the customers happy and gain more support for an Independent, strong DL.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TTT
don't forget Driving Every Loyal Traveler Away
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Originally Posted by rnovak
Yeah, I think the US plan is going to backfire on them. The plan was to shake DL to the core. But what they're going to see is the airline and it's employees working together to keep the customers happy and gain more support for an Independent, strong DL.
I agree. Sometimes a bogeyman is just want is needed to keep everyone focused and pulling together as a team. I think dougie doesn't understand the depth of loyalty that most employees and customers feel, and how that will backfire on him.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:43 am

Programs: DL Employee
I am against the merger.. I emailed the usairways merger comment email address and voiced my two cent...

I hope our Res office is able to get the buttons.
i pray and hope the crediotrs stay on Delta's side and see that in the long run they will get a better return..

I just don't see why usair wants Delta, i mean there is NW and CO

Yeh we are the first airline to not actually come up with a restructring plan, but we are the first to actually use the Bk Protection time to invest in more routes and upgrade planes, VRT!!!!!!!!!!!!! and etc

Anywho its late

Nite!
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:27 am

DL Employees Speak Out

Well, it looks like DL employee reps have now started to publicly speak out against the US bid:

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articl...mktNews&rpc=44

IIRC, this is the first time that DALPA has publicly stated its opposition to the deal as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.