Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Delta-Delta Minimum Connecting Times at LAX
(Note the below times apply only if both flights are DL-marketed; the MCTs may be different for flights marketed by other airlines)

Domestic - Domestic: 40 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour.
Domestic - International: 45 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour, unless you're flying ATL-LAX-PPT or JFK-LAX-PPT, in which case MCT is 45 minutes even if connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT.
International - Domestic: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - domestic connection times above apply.
International - International: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - international connection times above apply.
  • If your connection is from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 2 hours for an international-international connection.
  • If you're arriving from SYD and not connecting from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection. (If you're arriving from SYD and the connection is TBIT to TBIT, the 2 hour MCT in the bullet point above applies.)
  • If you're on one of the following flight routings, and the first flight arrives into TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection:
    • CUN-LAX-BNE
    • CUN-LAX-MEL
    • CUN-LAX-SJO
    • CUN-LAX-SYD
    • PVR-LAX-HND
    • HND-LAX-LHR
(These MCTs are accurate as of August 27, 2023.)

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Old Mar 26, 2007, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by amarain
I'm going to Tahiti for my honeymoon and need some advice about booking a flight. The AF flight to PPT leaves out of LAX at 10:30 pm. There's a flight ATL-LAX that gets in at 7:40 pm. Is this enough time, or should we be getting in earlier? If we miss this flight, there's not another one for 4 days, plus the fact that it's our honeymoon, so I want to be as sure as possible that we'll make it (without spending all day in LAX either). I've never been to LAX (or PPT for that matter), and I would really appreciate some advice.

Because there is no flight to PPT for the next four days, I would rather spend a couple of extra hours in the LAX CRC or seek a dinner at local restaurant. Unfortunately, the next earliest flight arrives almost 3 hours earlier, but that's the one I would take... if that one is cancelled, you are still going to be golden on the flight that gets in at 740P. With a potential 6 hour layover, I would look into a decent dinner at some restaurant in LA. But if the 740P flight is cancelled or extensively delayed, you might be screwed, though not in your honeymoon suite!
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Is 1hr 50mins A Safe Connection at LAX?

I am not a regular poster on this board, though beginning to use my SkyTeam membership a little more.

I plan the following trip in late August:

Leave
Thu, Aug 30 Delta Air Lines 7728
operated by ExpressJet Airlines
Depart: 4:45pm
Arrive: 6:50pm Acapulco, Mexico (ACA)
Los Angeles, CA (LAX)

1 stop Economy 4hr 5min Embraer RJ135-145 View seats

Change planes. Time between flights: 1hr 50min

Delta Air Lines 7697
operated by ExpressJet Airlines
Depart: 8:40pm
Arrive: 9:55pm Los Angeles, CA (LAX)
Las Vegas, NV (LAS)

Economy 1hr 15min Embraer RJ135-145 View seats
Total duration: 7hr 10min

I will have a largish bag, so will need to claim it, and have a UK passport so may experience some lines through immigration - although both flights arrive/depart the same terminal (which is why I am suffering ExpressJet ERJs to LAS).

Is this 1hr 50mins sensible and achievable connection, or would I be best advised to have a night in LAX and make the journey to LAS early the next day?

Any other tips for ExpressJet appreciated! ^
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:17 pm

Programs: Delta GM, AA Plat, SPG Plat
Your 1:50 connection should be no problem whatsoever. XJet is a new Delta connection carrier and won't begin flying under the Delta Connection flag until June/July so can;t be of any help there.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I think 1 hr 50 min is a safe connection anywhere in the US, even between international and domestic.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
The DL terminal at LAX is a breeze... You'll have tons of time.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
The DL terminal at LAX is a breeze... You'll have tons of time.
That's great; thanks for your (and others) re-assurance!
Old Jun 8, 2007, 9:22 pm

IIRC, the official minimum connecting time Intl to Domestic at LAX was 60 minutes. Not sure if that's changed.

I thought the evening LAS flight was earlier though, and on mainline.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by gustoj820
I thought the evening LAS flight was earlier though, and on mainline.
You're thinking of DL711....which departs LAX at 7:10PM.

The OP is apparently booked on the later flight.

The number of DL/DL Connection flights between LAX and LAS is going up to 4 as follows:

Delta 7667
7:35am LAX
8:45am LAS
Embraer 145

Delta 7699
10:50am LAX
12:00pm LAS
Embraer 145

Delta 711
7:10pm LAX
8:20pm LAS
Boeing 737-800

Delta 7697
8:40pm LAX
9:55pm LAS
Embraer 145

Note: Not all flights operate on every day of the week.

A.J.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 8:12 am
BHB

Programs: DL PM/SC, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz Five Star
1 hour connection at LAX?

The subject says it all. It's a legal connection time, but I'm interested in experience from people who have made mainline to mainline connections at LAX in an hour.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
No problem at all at LAX. The terminal is small so you'll have plenty of time.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Real easy. Even if you have to go from T6 to T5 (or vice-versa) it takes no more than 15 minutes. T5 is pretty small (14 gates or so) so it takes no more than 5 minutes to walk from the security checkpoint to the farthest gates in T5.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mersk862
Real easy. Even if you have to go from T6 to T5 (or vice-versa) it takes no more than 15 minutes. T5 is pretty small (14 gates or so) so it takes no more than 5 minutes to walk from the security checkpoint to the farthest gates in T5.
The tunnel is open. No need to reclear security.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by indufan
Maybe it's me, but the tunnel just seems to take forever to walk through (maybe because it's all off-white and there's never anyone in there...). Still, I've done the walk from T6 to T5 plenty of times (better food over in the UA gates and I like the President's Club over there...not to mention it stays open for the 1255a redeye to ATL).
Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:07 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by indufan
just between these 2 terminals, or all of them?
Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sammy0623
just between these 2 terminals, or all of them?
Just between Terminal 5 & 6. There are no tunnels that connect the entire airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.