FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Paris (CDG): The Definitive Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/58605-minimum-connection-transfer-time-paris-cdg-definitive-thread.html)

Bulldog May 27, 2003 10:11 am

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Paris (CDG): The Definitive Thread

I will be traveling CVG-CDG-VCE in a couple of weeks. CVG-CDG is on DL; CDG-VCE is on AZ. The connection in CDG is about 70 minutes, arriving in Terminal 2C and departing in Terminal 2D. What is the best (quickest? most likely to succeed?) way to make this connection? I have seen the CDG map and know that 2C and 2D are opposite each other. I think there is a shuttle(?) running between the terminals, and on another thread it was mentioned that you can walk underground between these terminals. If I understand, I will go through immigration, but not customs, in CDG. How does all of this impact my connection? I have read about the new 2E terminal, but all of my travel will be completed before 2E is in use. Hopefully there will be enough time to make the connection; if not, I can live with the next CDG-VCE flight.

My return flight is FCO-CDG-CVG, all on AF, coming into CDG at Terminal 2D and leaving via 2F. Can I expect more or less the same routine as 2C-to-2D?

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere; I found a thread on a Europe-to-US connection at CDG, but my connection is the other direction and I suspect that because of immigrations/customs/security, the details will be different.

Thanks for your expertise.

BURules May 27, 2003 10:33 am

Just flew ATL-CDG, CDG-FCO. That was also a 2C to 2D connection. Unlike the others, they have you walk the 2C to 2D connection. This is after the bus drops you off at passport control (or in the unlikely event you get a jetway upon arrival at 2C, after you walk through passport control).

It's a bit of a hike. And, yes you do have to back through security.

MRW May 27, 2003 3:24 pm

This is probably the thread you were referring to, but it wasn't: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/009652.html

70 minutes should be okay but just be prepared that you or your luggage (or maybe both!) might end up taking a later flight

wjudge Feb 4, 2005 10:47 am

Connection in CDG Question

I have reserved FC (on AF) tickets with miles to Naples, Italy. My itinerary is ATL-IAH-CDG-NAP. I get into CDG at 8:20 am, the flight to NAP leaves at 9:15 am. My question is: Is that enough time to get to the Naples flight? Am I going to have to go through customs at CDG or just NAP? The CS Agent said that we would only have to clear at NAP, so the 55 minutes would be ample time - does anyone have experience with this?
Thanks in advance!!

Flying_Duck Feb 4, 2005 11:49 am

Originally Posted by wjudge
I have reserved FC (on AF) tickets with miles to Naples, Italy. My itinerary is ATL-IAH-CDG-NAP. I get into CDG at 8:20 am, the flight to NAP leaves at 9:15 am. My question is: Is that enough time to get to the Naples flight? Am I going to have to go through customs at CDG or just NAP? The CS Agent said that we would only have to clear at NAP, so the 55 minutes would be ample time - does anyone have experience with this?
Thanks in advance!!

I unfortunately have lots of experience. And it is a hit and miss. For some reasons, AF flights often get off late from the gate and narrows down the transfer time. At CDG, it all comes down to: gate parking or tarmac parking, with the latter adding precious minutes to the waste basket. And you likely will have to transfer (through a crowded underground tunnel and crowded check-in areas) from one side of the terminal to the other, and you will have to go through security re-screening and passport control, both of which can take considerable time because of lines that doesn't seem to move anywhere because of a constant flow of staff (and Frenchmen with another line culture than ours) )cutting in in front.

If all goes well, you can make it, but if even one of the steps listed above poses a considerable obstacle, you are IMHO screwed.

graraps Feb 4, 2005 12:27 pm

won't be a problem

I've transferred at CDG a few times, but not from/to non-EU destinations. Never had a problem with my next flt, even with short transit times. But even if you do miss it (unlikely IMHO), it's a morning flight and there will be loads of options to take another flight and/or route through MXP/FCO.

obscure2k Feb 4, 2005 12:28 pm

Agree with Flying_Duck. Very hit and miss. Even if you make your connection, your luggage may not. Best to go for a longer connection, if possible and spend the time in the AF lounge (possible,because of your FC transatlantic flights.

jmscsc Feb 4, 2005 12:35 pm

I too have connected through CDG more than I care to admit ... or even like ... and the most recent trip was last week when I flew BOS-CDG-FCO. Yes, you'll need to clear customs in Paris. Yes, the connection is very tight and you will most likely miss it unless one of your flights is late. Yes, your luggage will most likely not end up flying to NAP on the same flight as you. I've never arrived at my destination (when connecting through CDG) at the same time as my luggage, so when I fly Air France I now only do a carry-on. My advice is to relax because you and your luggage will get there eventually.

JOUY31 Feb 4, 2005 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by jmscsc
I Yes, you'll need to clear customs in Paris. .

In my personal experience, you do not need to clear customs in CDG. Unlike in the US, you do not need to pick up your baggage at the first port of entry in the EU and re-check it. Your baggage should be checked through to NAP, where, based on the fact that your luggage tags will not have the two green stripes, customs officers will know that your baggage comes from outside the EU.

JOUY31 Feb 4, 2005 1:24 pm

I have had tight connections which due to the late arrival of my flight, seemed impossible to achieve. On my last LHR-SIN flight, the flight from LHR landed about 25mn before the departure of the flight to SIN. After we had landed in CDG, while we were taxiing, the chef de cabine listed the departure gates and halls for connecting passengers, adding that for some destinations, including SIN :), we should contact ground staff in the jetway. A few meters after the aircraft door dedicated staff (voltigeurs), pleasant and smiling, were waiting to drive these very short connection passengers to the departure gate or to the aircraft itself. (The procedure is called "bord à bord"). It took about 5mn to reach Terminal 2C from Terminal 2F2 and an additional 5mn to be rushed through security and to the departure gate. I was pleasantly surprised as I had already prepared myself to losing one business day in SIN :).

belle3388 Feb 4, 2005 2:32 pm

Salut, JOUY31!

Welcome to FT and Delta Forum, wjudge.

I have had many transfers through CDG (grrrr..) with a little more or less than 60 minute connection time, mostly misses. The checked-in luggage was 99% miss. Don't recall going through customs, but security, yes, twice, and passport control once. The queues could be blocks long! I would definitely suggest a later flight to NAP if possible, for the peace of mind. Besides, the AF First Class lounge at CDG is very nice and relaxing.

Have a safe trip!

wjudge Feb 4, 2005 2:49 pm

Thanks for all of your responses! Unfortunately, the 9:15 was the only flight with room on it due to using miles (ARRGH!) - we might chance it - we also have a flight to Rome at 12:00, then could take the train to Naples if need be. By the way, what is the deal with CDG? Whenever I fly there, my luggage is always lost!

Flying_Duck Feb 4, 2005 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by JOUY31
A few meters after the aircraft door dedicated staff (voltigeurs), pleasant and smiling, were waiting to drive these very short connection passengers to the departure gate or to the aircraft itself.

That's gotta be a hit-and-miss too as well as require getting to a gate!. This has never happened to me the 3-4 times a year I pass through CDG on my way to somewhere else in Europe, whether traveling in FC or BC and always having super tight connections. And when this happen, I guess there is no re-screening? - why then do everybody else have to do this? - ......oh yes, because you have to go through the whole airport, secure and non-secure, to get to the connecting gate!

The only zinklining on the dark cloud that constitutes the mess in CDG, where I agree the luggage never arrives with you, is that the increasing value of the Euro, makes for more compensation in dollars when the 24 hours have passed :(

Thus, I just got $375 from AF for the missing luggage in Denmark in December (100 Euros per pax after 24 hours of delay - luggage which by the way were waiting for us when we came home from our shoppoing spree!)

MikeMpls Feb 4, 2005 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Flying_Duck
(and Frenchmen with another line culture than ours)

Waiting in line to check in for the EuroStar once, the crowd that was patiently waiting in line got so ticked off that when anyone tried to cut straight to the counter they starting yelling until the agent would send the line-cutter to his proper place at the end of the queue.

It doesn't hurt to be assertive & vocal as long as you don't start a riot.

MikeMpls Feb 4, 2005 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by JOUY31
In my personal experience, you do not need to clear customs in CDG. Unlike in the US, you do not need to pick up your baggage at the first port of entry in the EU and re-check it. Your baggage should be checked through to NAP, where, based on the fact that your luggage tags will not have the two green stripes, customs officers will know that your baggage comes from outside the EU.

Every time I've flown into an EU or Nordic country except the UK: The passport checks are done in the first EU/Nordic country you enter (your passport should be stamped in CDG both ways), but U.S.-style customs checks with suitcases in hand have never happened to me except in the UK. Your suitcases are checked through to your final destination, at which point most people just claim them & walk out through the "nothing to delare line".