Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Paris (CDG): The Definitive Thread

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Paris (CDG): The Definitive Thread

Old Jan 8, 2006, 9:17 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Don't rely on the CDG bus to transport you between terminals..Walk and you will be more likely to make the connection. I have made inter-terminal connections at CDG in less than one hour and my luggage actually arrived with me at my destination. Walk fast and don't stop to shop
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:20 am

connecting through CDG

My itinerary times have been recently changed leaving me with 55 min to connect. Delta JFK to CDG arrives 9am: Air France CDG to VCE departs 9:55. I have never been in this airport and I'm traveling with a child... I assume all our bags will all be checked through. Seems very tight...will we make it? Thanks.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
try to rebook your flight if you can.

this is a very short connection, you'll need to go by bus to your gate ... and with a child you may have problems. what days are you travelling? which flight#? helps me to find out the terminals and give you more detailled advice.

you may take a look at the CDG faq in the AirFrance/Flying Blue forum.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by andrea t
My itinerary times have been recently changed leaving me with 55 min to connect. Delta JFK to CDG arrives 9am: Air France CDG to VCE departs 9:55. I have never been in this airport and I'm traveling with a child... I assume all our bags will all be checked through. Seems very tight...will we make it? Thanks.
It's not going to be easy. But as long as it's a single itinerary, you should be protected in the event of a misconnect.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you should arrive in 2E where you clear immigration and customs (no need for luggage - will be forwarded to VCE) then follow the signs Terminal 2F where your onward flight should leave. operated by AF, the next available flight is 12:35 in case you miss the 9h55.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
I just connected through CDG last month. Took us approximately 35 minutes from arrival to getting to the gate (2E to 2F) We walked and was in no particular hurry. That being said, they also loaded our plane early, as the plane was not actually at the gate. We were shuttled to it ala IAD type shuttles.
The nice thing is that our first flight arrived 30 minutes early. I think that they allow for vast differences in winds encountered in scheduling. So you may arrive early, making your connection easier.
Be aware that many bags do not make the connection in CDG. We had several folks connecting through CDG that particular day on various flights. Seems like 75% of the bags made it on the flights with the rest arriving later that day. Seemed like the luggage on tighter connections didn't make the plane. You may want to bring essentials in a carryon, especially with kids.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
If you did CDG in 35 minutes, you were incredibly lucky. It took us 90 minutes at a fast walk (except when we were on shuttles or standing in passport/security lines) to connect there in Dec.

The original poster should try to get it rebooked. Failing that, he/she should research later connections and come preprepared for a misconnect.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
If you did CDG in 35 minutes, you were incredibly lucky. It took us 90 minutes at a fast walk (except when we were on shuttles or standing in passport/security lines) to connect there in Dec.
Good point, I was there at 5:00am. I did leave out that little fact. Thanks for pointing that out. It does make a huge difference in time.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:57 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I frequently connect at CDG on our flts to VCE. Your connection would be very tight even if you were travelling alone. Try to rebook your connection so that you are on the 12:30 flight. You'll be much less anxious and you have a higher probablity, as well, of your baggage making the connection. CDG isn't the worst place to spend a couple of hours with a child.
Good luck.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:58 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
A somewhat dissenting opinion , but YMMV.

2E to 2F1 (Schengen) is an easy connection. If your flight arrives on time, 55mn is OK. No need to rebook, as you can probably make it; otherwise, you will be rebooked on the later flight. This can be done either automatically, if the actual time available is shorter than the MCT (45mn), or at the transfer desk otherwise.

- 15mn to reach 2E by bus
- 5-10mn to go through immigration in 2E
- 5mn to cross the Galerie to 2F (I usually do it in 2mn)
- 1mn to go up the escalator in front of the Galerie
- 2mn and a left turn to reach security check in the 2F1 departures area
- security check - there is a fast track line for premium and elite plus passengers
- 5mn to any gate in the 2F1 departures area from security check

Last edited by JOUY31; Feb 6, 2006 at 2:44 am
Old Feb 5, 2006, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JOUY31
2E to 2F1 (Schengen) is an easy connection. If your flight arrives on time, 55mn is OK. No need to rebook, as you can probably make it; otherwise, as mentioned by Chrissxb, you will be automatically rebooked on the later flight.

- 15mn to reach 2E by bus
- 5-10mn to go through immigration in 2E
- 5mn to cross the Galerie to 2F (I usually do it in 2mn)
- 1mn to go up the escalator in front of the Galerie
- 2mn and a left turn to reach security check in the 2F1 departures area
- security check - there is a fast track line for premium and elite plus passengers
- 5mn to any gate in the 2F1 departures are from security check
jouy31, you don't have a child ... they usually need to go to the lav, walk slowly when need to walk fast.

If OP can rebook, I'd consider it strongly as its less hassle.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 1:05 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
You may be right. And of course, obscure2k is much more knowledgeable about connecting to VCE in CDG ^

Last edited by JOUY31; Feb 5, 2006 at 1:08 pm
Old Feb 5, 2006, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL, AA,
If you are keeping the original itinerary I would buy a baggage delay/trip delay insurance policy. I have it included in my plat amex for a nominal fee per ticket ($9.95).
If I was you I would seriously consider having a policy in place as I know from experience that 35 mins is extremely tight to connect.
Also the baggage handlers at CDG have 2 speeds (Slow and stopped)
K
Old Feb 5, 2006, 2:43 pm

Thank you all for the advice. I will call and try to get the later flight. Since I'm using miles I don't know how possible that is. Comprehensive travel insurance policy is already in place in case luggage is lost or delayed, and I will pack more of an essentials carryon, too. Thanks again!
Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:37 am

Thank you all for the advice. I will call and try to get the later flight. Since I'm using miles I don't know how possible that is. Comprehensive travel insurance policy is already in place in case luggage is lost or delayed, and I will pack more of an essentials carryon, too. Thanks again!
I was able to get put on a later flight after a similar situation (and also traveling with miles), so it can happen. The CSR I talked to just started laughing when I told her I didn't want to run through CDG and immediately put me on a later flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.