Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Paris (CDG): The Definitive Thread

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Paris (CDG): The Definitive Thread

Old Jun 22, 2009, 3:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
Originally Posted by clovebs
So I arrived at CDG from FCO at 9:30am. My connecting flight to LAX leaves CDG at 10:40am. Will I also have to go throgh customs, etc - or can I just proceed from my arrival date to my departure gate? Sounds like 1hr10min is cutting it close!!!?
You'll need to clear passport control and security at CDG. You can see the transfer route here http://correspondances-aeroports.air....fr/_index.php
Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:13 pm

I am nervous after reading this post. We have an upcoming flight through CDG this Thursday. We have a 10 plus hour layover in ATL before a DL flight to CDG and then just a 65 minute connecting time in CDG before a flight to ATH. (If we miss that ATH flight we would have to wait over 6 hrs. until the next flight). Trying to be proactive today I called DL to ask about getting an earlier flight out of ATL to avoid a misconnect. They would not budge. Even though the DL agent told me they show a minimum 90 min. connection time when going from 2E to 2D their system shows our present connection as "legal" so we are inelgible for anything but an voluntary change which would incur a huge fee. What are my chances of getting things changed upon arrival in ATL Thursday morning? Would they allow us on an earlier flight if there is room? (We will only have carry on baggage). Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Priority Club Gold, Hilton & Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I disagree. Provided everything is on time, 1:10 or so is plenty of time at CDG. Of course, if things aren't on time, then you are in trouble, but that is true in a lot of places. And remember that the next flight is to LIS. I'm guessing that there would be some way to get there should you misconnect.

CDG is big and 1:10 isn't a lot of time, but it isn't that little either.

you disagree that I read that in these threads? Ok then, I'll get my eyes checked - could've sworn that's what I read in the past. Sorry for misleading anyone - apparently my eyes were deceiving me but pbarnette set me straight!
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I'm glad I found this thread....

I'm arriving on NH205 at 4:40pm (Terminal 1) and my connecting flight on Air Europa (AF metal) departs at 7:05pm (Terminal 2F)

I'm on separate tickets (NRT-CDG and CDG-BCN). Does that mean I clear customs at BCN, assuming that NRT check me thru?

I'm hoping that I can request for airport assistance at CDG, cuz I don't think I can navigate thru CDG maze...
Old Jul 14, 2009, 1:20 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by ws8n
I'm glad I found this thread....

I'm arriving on NH205 at 4:40pm (Terminal 1) and my connecting flight on Air Europa (AF metal) departs at 7:05pm (Terminal 2F)

I'm on separate tickets (NRT-CDG and CDG-BCN). Does that mean I clear customs at BCN, assuming that NRT check me thru?
Yes.

I'm hoping that I can request for airport assistance at CDG, cuz I don't think I can navigate thru CDG maze...
- Clear immigration in CDG1.
- Go down one level from arrivals to the CDGVAL automated shuttle train (2mn)
- Board the CDGVAL and take the ride to the other end of the line, CDG2 (8mn)
- take the escalator up one level (1mn)
- turn left and take a set of moving walkways (3) towards 2F (3mn)
- take the escalator up a few steps, you're in 2F (1mn)

If you are Elite Plus, you will find a fast track security checkpoint "Acces n1" to your left, right under the departures display screen. Otherwise, you can either turn left earlier, where the signs for the toilets are and use the secondary security checkpoint, or proceed past the "Acces n1" checkpoint to the main 2F Schengen security checkpoints.

Enjoy your flights.

Last edited by JOUY31; Jul 14, 2009 at 1:26 pm
Old Jul 14, 2009, 2:47 pm

I had a very short window my last connection at CDG. AF announced the names of some folks and let us depart the plane first, two cars were waiting and rushed us through passport control. Then a young lady walked us into the front of the security so we could make our connections.
Great job!
Now, ask me why I never check bags if I'm going to be on an AF flight. LOL
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
1hr connection time at CDG to connect to a DL flight, will this be okay?

I am looking at scheduling an itinerary for award travel, but it has me with a 1hr. layover at CDG to connect to a DL flight to ATL. Will be departing from CPH on Air France to CDG, and connecting to a DL flight with 1 hr layover at CDG. Is this too tight of a connection? However, I have noticed a 1 hr. 20 min. layover taking an AF flight to ATL. With either layover, 1hr or 1 hr 20 min. is that sufficient at CDG?

Also, regarding connecting at CDG, I will be arriving from CPH, will I have to go through customs at CDG?

Last, when I connect to the ATL connecting flight, will I have go through security again, or is this all air side connecting from the AF CPH flight to either the DL or AF ATL flight?

Thanks.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
First of all, your flight from CPH will arrive at 2D, and your flight to ATL departs from 2E. There is, I believe, an airside bus to make this transfer, but don't know off hand if it runs clockwise or counterclockwise. If the latter, you might be ok. But if the former, you'd be better off walking. And, of course, you'll have to clear security again.

So, having said all that, a 1 hr. cxn, particularly to a TATL flight, is probably not possible, and 1h20 cxn. would be pushing it. You might get lucky. Plus, it would probably help if you can speak, or read, a little French.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
I always suggest a minimum of 1:30 at CDG. Getting from 2D to 2E is easy (if you are able to, it is MUCH easier to walk). The challenge is getting back through security at 2E. Even the elite lines can take 30 minutes. You won't go through a formal customs procedure, but you will pass the customs officers and they do stop people every once in a while. You will pass through an immigration point at 2E.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Thanks, I agree, it is would seem to be a very tight connection. If I were to miss the flight, what about getting put on the next flight out? I am actually using CO mileage for these Skyteam flights. So, if I am on the AF flight from CPH to CDG, and I am connecting to a AF flight to EWR (itinerary offering a 1hr 20 min. layover), who do I see about getting put on another flight? Is it AF, or CO in CDG. I am assuming AF since it's their flight I arrived on to CDG and their flight I am taking to EWR if I choose that itinerary. In the end, my final destination is DAY. If seats available, would AF be able to put me on any routing either EWR, or ATL that will get me to DAY assuming seats available, or must I be put on flights offering the same routing, i.e. CDG-EWR-DAY?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
Both connections (AF-DL or AF-AF) will be a 2D to 2E transfer. There's a direct transfer shuttle from 2D to 2E that operates until I think 4:30pm (despite it saying 1:30am) http://correspondances-aeroports.air....fr/_index.php There are 2 shuttle stops, one for gates E21-E47 and another for gates E51-E76. I would take the direct shuttle if it's operating. After that time, you will need to walk to 2E. The clockwise airside shuttle that circles terminal 2 doesn't stop at 2D.

That said I've had flights that were supposed to arrive at 2D arrive in the Schengen part of 2F instead in which case I would just walk to 2E either across the Galerie for gates E21-E47 or through the connecting corridor for gates E51-E76. Make sure you know where you've arrived and which E gate you're departing from.

In any case, you will need to go through both passport control and security and I would take the longer connection.

Originally Posted by swdke
So, if I am on the AF flight from CPH to CDG, and I am connecting to a AF flight to EWR (itinerary offering a 1hr 20 min. layover), who do I see about getting put on another flight? Is it AF, or CO in CDG. I am assuming AF since it's their flight I arrived on to CDG and their flight I am taking to EWR if I choose that itinerary. In the end, my final destination is DAY. If seats available, would AF be able to put me on any routing either EWR, or ATL that will get me to DAY assuming seats available, or must I be put on flights offering the same routing, i.e. CDG-EWR-DAY?
AF would reaccommodate you. It can be another routing.

Last edited by PhilC; Jul 20, 2009 at 4:38 pm
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Just flew through CDG - we have a 1hr 10min layover and we had to RUN the entire time. Since AF wouldn't give us boarding passes for our connecting flight at our city of origin, we had to get boarding passes at CDG. But, when we got to the ticket counter, the lady said they had already closed the flight. We explained our situation and she must have had pity on us; she then ran us through the passport screening line, did some quick fingerwork on her computer and got us our boarding passes. The slowest part was getting through security (since you leave 2d, you have to reenter security to get in 2f). All that said, we made it to the gate with people still queued up to board. -- 1hr is short - but is doable (even more so if it's just you; we had three kids with us). - Good luck!
Old Jul 21, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: Alaska, MVPG
I have transferred at CDG many times before. Anything less than a 2 hr layover turns into a sprint. That airport is a horrible mess, I try to avoid it when I can. There's also a good chance your luggage won't make the connection either.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 9:47 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Even though CDG has improved quite a bit with the reopening of 2E and the satellite terminal, I agree with the others that 1:00 for a connection is still too short. Sometimes, when I have had short connections, I have had AF agents awaiting my inbound and taking me (and other short connection pax) directly in a van to my departing flight; however, there is no guarantee that this will happen for ALL short connections....best is to allow at least 1:30 or even better, 2:00...
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
I agree with others. Two-hours is a comfortable minimum when changing terminals at CDG

Nevertheless, I made a 2D-2E connection in about 30 minutes last fall at CDG, thanks to an AF employee waiting for me at the door of my incoming plane. He rushed me downstairs to a waiting van, drove me to a remote passport control station and then to a 2E stairway near my connecting plane. Once upstairs, I cleared security quickly. I boarded moments before the door closed on my AF flight bound for IAD. My checked bag didn't make it.

I was a business class passenger that day and was scrambling because of a "crew rest" delay on my initial AF flight (MXP-CDG). At my request, the crew on that flight called ahead. They told me it was 'probable' I'd be met at the plane door. Not sure if they ordinarily do this for all passengers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.