Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
You have it correct. Because you preclear customs and immigration in Toronto, your arrival will be treated like a domestic arrival and you'll be able to directly walk to your next gate. 83 minutes is plenty of time for this connection.
Thanks
Old May 7, 2019, 4:58 pm

Connection time

Hello folks. Looking for some help.
Flying into Atlanta Thursday night, arriving 10:23
have to make a connection at 11:35 for Rio.
Thsts only 72 mins.
Is that enough time?
Old May 7, 2019, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If you have a domestic or Pre-Clearance arrival to ATL it meets MCT (thank you for searching!) but it's not particularly generous.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:11 pm

Thank you 👍😊
Old May 7, 2019, 8:27 pm

My experience last week at ATL: arrived from AMS in business class cabin. It took me 12 minutes to get from the door of the plane through to the other side of connecting security. Single carry-on only, no checked bag. Global entry.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:45 am

We're scheduled to fly AMS-ATL-CHI in D1/F later this year and originally booked with a 2:30 hour layover in ATL.

After some schedule changes, our connecting time in ATL has now been reduced to a mere 1:45 hours. There is another DL flight to CHI some 90 minutes later, which I'd prefer. We are non-US (EU) citizens and will travel with checked bags.

The DL social media team has advised that they are sorry, but they are unable (unwilling?) do anything with changes under 2 hours unless I pay a change fee. Does anyone have experience whether the Diamond Desk will be more flexible? I don't feel that my request is quite unreasonable under consideration of usual waiting times for foreigners at US borders.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
In order to be entitled to a free change due to a schedule change, at least one of the following must be true:

1. Your flights were changed by more than an hour.
2. Your new itinerary has a connection time below the minimum connection time.
3. One of more of your flights had a change in carrier (such as from mainline to regional or vice versa.)

In your case, it sounds like none of those happened, so technically, you're not entitled to having your flights changed. That said, what you're asking for is quite reasonable; I've had the DM line do similar changes when I wasn't entitled to them, so I doubt you'll get resistance if you call. Just understand that if they say no, they are within their rights to do so.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Just understand that if they say no, they are within their rights to do so.
That's understood, thank you. Will give them a ring later.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: AC 50K, MR Plat
Hey all. I'm arriving tomorrow on AUS -> ATL on DL. Past flights indicate they almost always land at T terminal. Arrival is 11:18. Sitting at the back. No checked bags.

Outbound on DL to YYZ which is in the F, International Terminal. I have a 92 min layover, but I'm in Comfort+ on the YYZ flight. Boarding commences at 11:55.

Given I'm taking the train from terminal to terminal, am I likely going to miss the Comfort+ boarding and will be entering when they board the main cabin?

I'm AC E/*Gold so I'm new to Delta.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Plenty of time to get there for start of boarding, even if the actual gate ends up being in the pointy end of one of the longer concourses and you do average walking speed between concourses instead of taking the plane train. Also- weather looks pretty dry tomorrow so you don't have to worry about thunderstorm delays in ATL, and Delta gives itself a pretty generous time buffer zone in order to make their on-time arrival numbers look good so you may get in slightly early.
dP21 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:13 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by dP21
Hey all. I'm arriving tomorrow on AUS -> ATL on DL. Past flights indicate they almost always land at T terminal. Arrival is 11:18. Sitting at the back. No checked bags.

Outbound on DL to YYZ which is in the F, International Terminal. I have a 92 min layover, but I'm in Comfort+ on the YYZ flight. Boarding commences at 11:55.

Given I'm taking the train from terminal to terminal, am I likely going to miss the Comfort+ boarding and will be entering when they board the main cabin?

I'm AC E/*Gold so I'm new to Delta.

Thanks in advance.
I once got the last seat in row 35 flying standby. I timed it out of curiosity and it took 12 minutes before I deplaned. Unless there are mobility issues it won't take 25 minutes to get from even one extreme end of T to F, and even if they start boarding exactly at 11:55 they'll do preboards followed by J and Diamonds first.
dP21 and gooselee like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Agree with all of the above. 92 minutes is a good window of time between gate in ATL. You won't be stopping anywhere for a three-course meal or anything, but that should actually be just about right for exiting from the back of a plane, taking a quick pee break, and getting to your new gate right around the time that boarding is starting.

Do make sure to double check gates when you get to ATL and before getting on the Plane Train. A quick look at today's ATL>YYZ flights shows them all leaving out of Concourse E.

There is sometimes confusion about "Int'l Terminal" and "Concourse F" because the international terminal landside entrance at ATL puts you straight in Concourse F. But in reality int'l flights can depart from any Concourse throughout the airport. They do most commonly go out of E and F.
dP21 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: AC 50K, MR Plat
Originally Posted by gooselee
Do make sure to double check gates when you get to ATL and before getting on the Plane Train. A quick look at today's ATL>YYZ flights shows them all leaving out of Concourse E.
Thanks for this. Yes, I didn't check the outbound gate at ATL and just inferred it would have been Intl terminal!
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
SXM-ATL-STL transfer in 2:20?

My wife and I have a 2:20 layover in ATL from SXM to STL. We have Global Entry, but will have 4 bags. Is there any need for worry and maybe looking at a later flight (if available?) If we don't make the connection, will we be reaccomodated on a flight the next day without buying a new ticket? Traveling the weekend before Christmas, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by iplaybass
My wife and I have a 2:20 layover in ATL from SXM to STL. We have Global Entry, but will have 4 bags. Is there any need for worry and maybe looking at a later flight (if available?) If we don't make the connection, will we be reaccomodated on a flight the next day without buying a new ticket? Traveling the weekend before Christmas, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!
No issues. Plenty of time, of course will be rebooked if late arriving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.