Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:15 am

Perfect, many thanks Logan that's exactly the info I needed. Avoiding the transfer to the domestic terminal will definitely help.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
@Rich1962:
So, I'm wondering...can you electronically check in to the flight at the 24-hour mark? I cannot speak to how much luggage you have, but presuming you're within your allowance it might be worth grabbing your bags, using your pre-checked-in ticket (printed off, on your phone, etc.) to clear security, and then checking bags at the gate.

(Besides, I think you'd have to collect your bags to clear customs/immigration regardless since this isn't an international-to-international flight.)
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Delta’s IT system is good at detecting possible and guaranteed misconnects and offering rebooking at that point. I’ve snuck my phone off airplane mode and rebooked from the options offered in the app when my first flight was holding on the ground at origin due to ATC congestion at ATL
This. I managed to change a connection at MSP in-flight (using the on-board WiFi) this past weekend when I got held up at YUL due to deicing. Both the app and the website offered various options (and the offered options were not identical). Delta tends to be quite nice about allowing changes when something goes haywire, something that lands in their favor in my book. I suspect that even if they catch it in advance you'd have a bit more flexibility than you might expect.

As to flight holds, you're more likely to get that at 2200 for the last flight of the night than you are during a busy hour. There are times that there's slack and times there just isn't.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Rich1962
Perfect, many thanks Logan that's exactly the info I needed. Avoiding the transfer to the domestic terminal will definitely help.
You should easily be able to get the bag tagged through. You just need to ask at checkin with VS. Show them a copy of your DL reservation and they'll add the flights to the bag tag. They cant/won't do anything in advance, only at checkin, thus why they're telling you no.

You'll still have to collect the bag, and drop it at the DL baggage recheck just outside customs (you don't need to go up stairs to actual checkin, DL has counters right outside customs). However, since bag is already checked and tagged through you won't need to pay anything to DL.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Traveling LHR-ATL (DL) arriving at 18:33 on a Saturday and need to connect on ATL-DFW/DAL. I'll be in D1/F on both flights.

Have a couple options:

19:50 departure on AA
20:00 departure on DL
22:36 departure on DL

I lived in ATL for 10 years and am extremely familiar with the airport and relatively comfortable taking the 20:00 on DL (separate tickets but same carrier gives me peace of mind) BUT I have no status on DL anymore (EXP on AA).

I *really* don't want to wait around the airport for 4 hours.

Thoughts?
Well the schedule is 19:36, not 20:00. Still doable?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:22 am

Thanks to everyone for the advice, it has certainly helped put my mind at rest.
I will update you after I return and look forward to updating the "experts" on the TA forum (hopefully!)
Thanks again
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Well the schedule is 19:36, not 20:00. Still doable?
Doable, but only if everything aligns as it's supposed to. 1.25 is MCT, you'd have 1.03. Do you have GE or are a US/CANADIAN citizen? If so as long as on time you should make it. However a slight delay and you'll misconnect.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Thanks.

US Citizen. No GE. No checked bags. Going to try! :-)
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

US Citizen. No GE. No checked bags.
As long as on time you'll make it.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Hello all,

Flying SCL-ATL-DCA in a couple of weeks and had a couple of questions on International-Domestic transfers. For reference, I have GE but will have to check one bag (I travel w tools, no way around it) and will be flying in Y thanks to miserly corporate travel policies. I rarely fly DL (usually fly UA but wasn't an option this time unfortunately) so not as familiar with ATL.

1) Is 1:55 adequate or cutting it close? Leaning towards a 2:55 connection, can hopefully get a shower at the PP lounge if I have extra time (or should I allow even more time?)

2) How bad is customs in the very early AM? Flight from SCL lands at 5:30am.

3) Does the security re-check point after customs have PreCheck? If not, is it ever faster to just exit and go through regular security? The last time I did this (three years ago, international flight landed at ATL in the middle of the day) there was no PreCheck after customs and the lines were unreal, took me at least an hour to get through security.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chleonard
Hello all,

Flying SCL-ATL-DCA in a couple of weeks and had a couple of questions on International-Domestic transfers. For reference, I have GE but will have to check one bag (I travel w tools, no way around it) and will be flying in Y thanks to miserly corporate travel policies. I rarely fly DL (usually fly UA but wasn't an option this time unfortunately) so not as familiar with ATL.

1) Is 1:55 adequate or cutting it close? Leaning towards a 2:55 connection, can hopefully get a shower at the PP lounge if I have extra time (or should I allow even more time?)

2) How bad is customs in the very early AM? Flight from SCL lands at 5:30am.

3) Does the security re-check point after customs have PreCheck? If not, is it ever faster to just exit and go through regular security? The last time I did this (three years ago, international flight landed at ATL in the middle of the day) there was no PreCheck after customs and the lines were unreal, took me at least an hour to get through security.
Just flew SCL-ATL few months ago. Like most DL flights it'll normally land a few minutes early. (They tend to pad schedule) At the hour it arrives you'll be through immigration/customs in no time. DL has a bag recheck counter right outside customs. AS for security, regardless of PreCheck, it'll be quick. There's two ends of ATL airport, domestic and international. They're not directly connected landside (airside there's the plane train that connects all concourses in both terminals), and hotel shuttles only drop people at domestic end. (They then must catch a bus if checking in with an international airline) Thus very few people even during the day at the international side.

You should be from plane to lounge/gate within 20 minutes or so at worst.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Just flew SCL-ATL few months ago. Like most DL flights it'll normally land a few minutes early. (They tend to pad schedule) At the hour it arrives you'll be through immigration/customs in no time. DL has a bag recheck counter right outside customs. AS for security, regardless of PreCheck, it'll be quick. There's two ends of ATL airport, domestic and international. They're not directly connected landside (airside there's the plane train that connects all concourses in both terminals), and hotel shuttles only drop people at domestic end. (They then must catch a bus if checking in with an international airline) Thus very few people even during the day at the international side.

You should be from plane to lounge/gate within 20 minutes or so at worst.
Good to hear, thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Hi
We booked a few months ago a LAX-ATL-CDG (first leg DL, 2nd leg AF). At the time we booked, we had a connection time of 1h25. Now, the equipment on the first leg has changed (753 to 763) and the layover is 49 minutes... With 2 young kids, I am afraid it may be complicated.
Also, if we miss the AF flight, are we automatically accommodated on the next ATL-CDG available flight?

Thanks
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Assuming you're not on one of the two remaining domestic 763s, your connection is below the minimum connection time, which is 50 minutes. You should have no problem calling DL and being placed on the LAX-CDG routing of your choice as long as it's on DL, KL, and/or AF, and it's a reasonable routing on the same day. Research your options by doing dummy bookings on delta.com and then call and ask for the routing you want..
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Assuming you're not on one of the two remaining domestic 763s, your connection is below the minimum connection time, which is 50 minutes. You should have no problem calling DL and being placed on the LAX-CDG routing of your choice as long as it's on DL, KL, and/or AF, and it's a reasonable routing on the same day. Research your options by doing dummy bookings on delta.com and then call and ask for the routing you want..
my configuration is the following : if you can tell me if it is a domestic 767:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.