Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
How DL Handles Tight and Missed Connections at ATL Pax and Baggage? 30-40 Min Conx!

I've been flying domestically through ATL a couple of times recently with a published connection time in the reservation of about 37 minutes, and I have some questions about how DL handles certain behind the scenes parts of this operation!

How Common are Misconnects and How are They Handled?
I have to wonder how common misconnects are with these 30 to 40 minute connections? What is the minimum connecting time? How is DL about providing hotel vouchers if you miss your flight, does it vary a lot if you are a high value customer HVC? I've noticed on several occasions DL has proactively booked me on a flight the next morning, although I have always thus far made my tight connections! Is this proactive rebooking done by some sort of automation or by live Delta agents? If you miss your flight, can a gate agent issue a hotel voucher or do you always have to go to customer service or a SkyClub?

How long will DL usually hold a flight when they see their are checked in connecting customers that "might" make it?

I'm also curious about the art and science of when a gate agent will release a confirmed seat to a standby customer when a connecting pax might or might not make it? Lets say the person has a 20 minute connecting time based on an inbound delay, how long will the gate hold their seat be3fore giving it away to a standby customer, and then there is the off chance that 20 minute connecting pax will run up to the gate after they gave away their seat? This could also happen with an upgrade.

Luckily this has not happened to me they have always kept my seat but I've wondered about it?

Baggage:
I have been amazed by DL's baggage service. My connecting bags have made it even with less than a 20 minute connecting time. I like getting the push notification on my phone when the bag is loaded. I also like how DL has a 30 minute bag cutoff time where as many other airlines have 45 minutes.

Yesterday I checked my bag at 17:02 and I got the push notification at 17:13 "bag loaded on plane."

Do they handle all bags so well, or do they truly expedite thing because I had Sky Priority?

Conversely with WN the check in time is 45 minutes and I've found at BOS if I check my bag in at T-40 minutes usually it does not make it, and even though I am an A List Pref member and a Companion Pass holder, they will not deliver the bag as a courtesy because I checked it in later than T-45 minutes. WN does not have any sort of formal elite baggage priority!

One thing you DL folk might be interested in about WN's operational procedures is they often (almost allways?) hold the last flight of the night flight in STL both for connecting passengers, and even after the connecting pax board, they hold the plane to load their connecting bags. I guess they don't want to pay for hotels or baggage delivery . The hold time is typically 10-45 minutes from scheduled departure. I asked one person who makes this decision to hold or not hold at WN, and they thought it was made by the SOCC in Dallas for WN.

I find it very interesting though WN standard operating procedure seems to be to hold the flights for both conx pax and conx bags.

Business travelers might not like this, but I suspect if you surveyed a cross section of the public and asked if an airline should hold a flight or not and if not you strand your conx pax most typical flyers (take 0.5-5 tripsa year) people would probably want the flight held.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I once was on a connecting flight in ATL that only had ~30-45 minutes. I misconnected due to mixing up the gate numbers, and was given a hotel voucher, even as a non-elite. This was in 2009, though, so things could have changed in 10 years, but if you misconnect, they will rebook you on the next available flight (in my case, the next morning).

As for obtaining the hotel/meal vouchers, most of the time, you're sent over to the Customer Service Center. I was in MSP, anyway, even after trying to cajole a few GA's to print hotel/meal vouchers during a mechanical delay. They all insisted I go to the Customer Service Center, which was ~50 people deep. It depends on the GA and station, IMO.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
in ATL, connecting bags are tail-to-tail. They don't go through a "sort." If you have to change concourses to make a connecting flight, often the bags will be at the next plane before you are.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Based on my experience for bags terminating in ATL, the Sky Priority tag means nothing.
That being said, their standard baggage handling is pretty darn good the vast majority of the time.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Delta’s IT system is good at detecting possible and guaranteed misconnects and offering rebooking at that point. I’ve snuck my phone off airplane mode and rebooked from the options offered in the app when my first flight was holding on the ground at origin due to ATC congestion at ATL
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by jetsetter

How long will DL usually hold a flight when they see their are checked in connecting customers that "might" make it?
At extremely busy airports, they won't. Every flight is slotted for a specific time and missing that can cause cascading backups. If there is a large group at an off-peak time, and there are no connecting passengers who might get held up at the destination, then they *might* hold it for a bit, but for one guy, basically never.

I'm also curious about the art and science of when a gate agent will release a confirmed seat to a standby customer when a connecting pax might or might not make it?
generally this will be the last thing the agent does before closing the door.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jetsetter
I've been flying domestically through ATL a couple of times recently with a published connection time in the reservation of about 37 minutes, and I have some questions about how DL handles certain behind the scenes parts of this operation!

How Common are Misconnects and How are They Handled?
I have to wonder how common misconnects are with these 30 to 40 minute connections? What is the minimum connecting time? How is DL about providing hotel vouchers if you miss your flight, does it vary a lot if you are a high value customer HVC? I've noticed on several occasions DL has proactively booked me on a flight the next morning, although I have always thus far made my tight connections! Is this proactive rebooking done by some sort of automation or by live Delta agents? If you miss your flight, can a gate agent issue a hotel voucher or do you always have to go to customer service or a SkyClub?
They're at a low enough level DL offers these short connections. Also DL pads arrival times, so generally you're likely to arrive a few minutes early. Hotel voucher depend on reason for misconnect and status/value as a customer. Also the hotel itself depends on status/value. As a DM I can always get the Westin at DTW, and generally my choice anywhere else. Rebooking without you involved is done by automation, otherwise by an actual agent with you talking with them. GA can issue vouchers, but generally only do so for those that volunteered their seat due to overbooking. If you're rebooked automatically and are entitled to a hotel, the system can handle that also. You just goto a kiosk and it'll print the voucher.

There's no set time and in general they don't hold flights.

I'm also curious about the art and science of when a gate agent will release a confirmed seat to a standby customer when a connecting pax might or might not make it? Lets say the person has a 20 minute connecting time based on an inbound delay, how long will the gate hold their seat be3fore giving it away to a standby customer, and then there is the off chance that 20 minute connecting pax will run up to the gate after they gave away their seat? This could also happen with an upgrade.
Its up to the GA. If overbooked, they'll offload at cutoff. Otherwise most will look and see what gate you're coming from and make a judgement call. If you make it before cutoff, they'll offload the unlucky standby that thought they made it.

Luckily this has not happened to me they have always kept my seat but I've wondered about it?

Baggage:
I have been amazed by DL's baggage service. My connecting bags have made it even with less than a 20 minute connecting time. I like getting the push notification on my phone when the bag is loaded. I also like how DL has a 30 minute bag cutoff time where as many other airlines have 45 minutes.

Yesterday I checked my bag at 17:02 and I got the push notification at 17:13 "bag loaded on plane."

Do they handle all bags so well, or do they truly expedite thing because I had Sky Priority?
Part is SP, other is the fact they've invested in technology to speed bag handling. Note that DL tags bags as HOT if the connection is less than I believe 45 minutes (maybe an hour). This results in bag generally being taken by baggage cart directly to connecting flight. (Basically Porsche service, but for bags) This is what at least domestically nags will tend to make short connections easier/quicker then passengers.

Conversely with WN the check in time is 45 minutes and I've found at BOS if I check my bag in at T-40 minutes usually it does not make it, and even though I am an A List Pref member and a Companion Pass holder, they will not deliver the bag as a courtesy because I checked it in later than T-45 minutes. WN does not have any sort of formal elite baggage priority! DL won't deliver late checked bags even for elites. They'll get it to whatever airport you want it at, but won't deliver it from the airport. (In general, some stations will do it just cause they're nice about it)

One thing you DL folk might be interested in about WN's operational procedures is they often (almost allways?) hold the last flight of the night flight in STL both for connecting passengers, and even after the connecting pax board, they hold the plane to load their connecting bags. I guess they don't want to pay for hotels or baggage delivery . The hold time is typically 10-45 minutes from scheduled departure. I asked one person who makes this decision to hold or not hold at WN, and they thought it was made by the SOCC in Dallas for WN.
WN doesn't have to pay for hotels in most cases, as in general most delays aren't airline caused. Holding a flight at basically every airline is up to a corporate and not local call. I highly doubt WN regularly holds even last flight of night, though last flight is one thing that is considered when making the call. Delays count against their DOT stats.

I find it very interesting though WN standard operating procedure seems to be to hold the flights for both conx pax and conx bags. Really doubt they hold it for bags, passengers yes, bags no. Bags can be delivered easily next day.

Business travelers might not like this, but I suspect if you surveyed a cross section of the public and asked if an airline should hold a flight or not and if not you strand your conx pax most typical flyers (take 0.5-5 tripsa year) people would probably want the flight held.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Traveling LHR-ATL (DL) arriving at 18:33 on a Saturday and need to connect on ATL-DFW/DAL. I'll be in D1/F on both flights.

Have a couple options:

19:50 departure on AA
20:00 departure on DL
22:36 departure on DL

I lived in ATL for 10 years and am extremely familiar with the airport and relatively comfortable taking the 20:00 on DL (separate tickets but same carrier gives me peace of mind) BUT I have no status on DL anymore (EXP on AA).

I *really* don't want to wait around the airport for 4 hours.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Traveling LHR-ATL (DL) arriving at 18:33 on a Saturday and need to connect on ATL-DFW/DAL. I'll be in D1/F on both flights.

Have a couple options:

19:50 departure on AA
20:00 departure on DL
22:36 departure on DL

I lived in ATL for 10 years and am extremely familiar with the airport and relatively comfortable taking the 20:00 on DL (separate tickets but same carrier gives me peace of mind) BUT I have no status on DL anymore (EXP on AA).

I *really* don't want to wait around the airport for 4 hours.

Thoughts?
DL will protect across separate tickets when both are DL/AF/KL stock and flights. You'll have no issue taking the earlier DL flight. AA if you misconnect won't do anything except make you pay to rebook.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL will protect across separate tickets when both are DL/AF/KL stock and flights. You'll have no issue taking the earlier DL flight. AA if you misconnect won't do anything except make you pay to rebook.
Agreed. I'd take the 20:00 DL flight. They'll even transfer your bag for you even though it's separate tickets.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:47 am

Help Needed

Hi All

I am travelling LHR-ATL with Virgin Atlantic in April using Airmiles arriving at 14.40. I have booked ATL-MSY departing 17.40 on a separate ticket. I know the airlines are affiliated and have called them both but they are unable to connect the tickets meaning I will have to go through immigration, collect my bags and transfer to the domestic terminal to check in, go through checks and get to the gate.
I thought 3 hours would be ample but have posted this question on Tripadvisor and have been advised I will not make it.
Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Shows the value of Trip Advisor. Three hours? Of course you will make this connection. As always when you enter the US, you need to reclaim your baggage, go through customs, and then give it back for the domestic flight. That is the same everywhere in the States.

I don't know whom you called and got all those negative answers but VS will check your bags at your departure airport all the way to MSY which means that you will not need to have another bag tag issued at the recheck station in ATL which is right next to the Customs checkpoint.

Then you simply go thru another security check and follow your nose to your departure terminal. It is all very clear and the worst you will get is a short subway ride from the arrival terminal. Total change time after you redeposit your bag should be less than a half hour if you can walk at a normal rate. Also IME, a call to Delta in a case like this gets a notation in your reservation that you are coming from a partner airline. Any agent in ATL will rebook you with no questions asked in the case of some irregularity in the VS operation that causes you to miss that good, long, more than adequate connection time. Nothing to worry about here.

Last edited by monitor; Mar 27, 2019 at 10:27 am
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
This, it won't be a problem. Also, if you have checked bags... it will be a huge mess if you take the AA flight. You'll have to collect bags in F and then drag them all the way around landside to the domestic terminal to recheck.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:53 am

Thanks Monitor, The Virgin leg is in Premium Economy on a reward ticket and the Delta flight does not include baggage and was paid cash on a separate. They wont let me prepay and say I have to pay when I check in................I guess that's why I have to go through the hassle detailed in my post.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Even if VS won't check your bag all the way through due to the separate tickets, it's still easy to make the connection. You'll pick up the bag at terminal F, leave the customs area with your bag as if you were leaving the airport, and then check in your bag at the DL ticket counter in terminal F. You can check a bag to a domestic destination at the DL ticket counter in in the international terminal. Then go back through security and catch your connecting flight.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.