Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by Zorak
Maybe I'm crazy, but given OP has GE and does not plan to check bags, and there's now a Precheck lane in the international security screening area, and although I have no direct experience everyone says DL is pretty forgiving if you "misconnect" on separate tickets even due to a delayed partner flight, I think I'd be ok with 1h40 here and I feel like I'm usually more conservative about connecting times and airport arrival etc than most (so this feels weird to me )
I usually connect via JFK or somewhere on the west coast, and i didn’t know that there’s a Precheck line in the international screening area. So, this definitely changes the calculus for me.

I’m leaning toward booking the ticket with a 1:40 connection.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06

I’m a US citizen. I didn’t realize that DL would rebook me if I’m on a separate, close partner ticket! So, that’s definitely good to know.

Out of curiosity, what airlines are considered “close” partners?
JV partners and MU,VA,VS.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Maybe I'm crazy, but given OP has GE and does not plan to check bags, and there's now a Precheck lane in the international security screening area, and although I have no direct experience everyone says DL is pretty forgiving if you "misconnect" on separate tickets even due to a delayed partner flight, I think I'd be ok with 1h40 here and I feel like I'm usually more conservative about connecting times and airport arrival etc than most (so this feels weird to me )
+1.

OP is arriving in J, has GE, and won't be dealing with checked bags. Plus as a DM flying in on a partner, it's a very good chance DL will accommodate a misconnect even though on separate tickets.
​​​​​​
If it were me, I'd have no problem with this 1h40m connection. What is MCT for an I>D connection in ATL normally?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:09 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by gooselee
If it were me, I'd have no problem with this 1h40m connection. What is MCT for an I>D connection in ATL normally?
The wiki says 1:25.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
The wiki says 1:25.
Derp. Couldn't easily see the wiki on my phone - thanks!

Then yeah, I'd be perfectly comfortable with this connection, even on separate tickets, given that KE/DL are partners and OP is a DM with so many elements in his/her favor.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Anecdotal report, at the international transit screening area, in late November I waited 10-12 minutes in the precheck line, non-precheck had no wait.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by gooselee
Derp. Couldn't easily see the wiki on my phone - thanks!
Mobile interface + infinite scroll makes it all but impossible -- the only workaround I know is to use the << at the bottom of the page to scroll to the first page of a thread, and then you can actually scroll to the top to see the wiki.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:50 am

Programs: LH, UA, DL
1 hour 13 minutes international to domestic at ATL?

Hi. FlyerTalk Newbie here. I'm booked from FRA to EYW via ATL on Feb. 1 (DL15 + DL 3308), returning Feb. 9 (DL 1777 + DL 14). I booked online and at the time the best suggested connections gave me a 1 hour 30 min connection inbound and 44 minutes outbound. I was a trifle worried about the outbound connection time, but figured if it was offered, it must be doable. Now, however, DL has moved the departure time of DL 3308 up by 17 minutes, giving me a 1 hour 13 minute connection time between my inbound international and my connecting domestic flight which is under the MCT. So I'm more worried about my inbound than my outbound connection. Unfortunately, there isn't an early FRA-DL flight, nor is there a later ATL-EYW flight, so even if DL would agree to change my itinerary it would involve extra flights and a much longer journey.

I'd appreciate it if those of you with more experience with DL connections in ATL could give me some advice. (A) Is the 1 h 13 min connection doable? I'm fit, traveling alone and have the Mobile Passport App, but I will have a piece of checked luggage. Other than using the mobile passport lines, are there any other ways to speed my path to my domestic flight? (B) Is 44 minutes to connect to an international flight at ATL reasonable? I checked a few days ago and it seems that both flights seem to be use Terminal E (I didn't realize any domestic flights used E). Finally, do you know what DL responsibility towards me (re being stranded in ATL for a night) if I were to miss either connection?

Thank you in advance for your guidance!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
1 hour 13 minutes is pushing it if you have a checked bag. More importantly, the agent at FRA might not accept your bag--they might see your ticket violates MCT and refuse to accept it. I also highly doubt DL would pay for a hotel if you miss the connection due to the MCT violation. You should get that fixed somehow--maybe connect through somewhere else or even on a double connect using a JV partner (AF/KL). As for the return, 44 minutes is fine as long as the first flight is on-time. But you only have about 5-10 minutes of wiggle room there.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:15 pm

Thanks for your advice LoganFlyer! It hadn't even occurred to me that Delta could refuse to accept my bag. Yikes. I am a bit perplexed, since if I hadn't checked my online Delta account, I wouldn't have known about the change until I showed up at the airport. Delta hasn't made any attempt to contact me (and they've got e-mail, snail mail, landline and cell numbers) so it would be obnoxious if they then refused to check my bag. I fear I'm going to have to see if they can re-route me via Amsterdam, which adds a flight and 4 ˝ to my journey (and there aren't any Delta Comfort seats available).
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Yeah, sadly, DL is not very good at notifying people about schedule changes. (That's "not very good" in the same vein that the Washington Generals are "not very good" at beating the Harlem Globetrotters.) Many of us have learned to check our itineraries every Sunday or Monday for this reason, as DL schedule changes usually happen on Saturdays.

Anyway, good luck with the rebooking.
FFff likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
It is a single ticket all DL marketed (and presumably sold by team DL/AF/KL). If it violates the MCT, that is on DL and nobody else. Though that does not mean DL will help if the issue was and extra 10 MPH headwinds.

Doubt bag check is an issue. But certainly do agree that is very tight. W/o bags, would be OK (though some risk).

OP, tough call on the rebook. Really depends on how you feel about a decent risk of a miss-connect, vs a known delay.

EDIT: Might want to keep an eye out on that GovShutodwn/TSA issue.
FFff likes this.

Last edited by exwannabe; Jan 21, 2019 at 3:36 pm
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by exwannabe
It is a single ticket all DL marketed (and presumably sold by team DL/AF/KL). If it violates the MCT, that is on DL and nobody else.
He said he booked it online. He didn't say he bought it from Delta. Originating in FRA, maybe he didn't.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
He said he booked it online. He didn't say he bought it from Delta. Originating in FRA, maybe he didn't.
I purchased my ticket directly from Delta at Delta.com.
@exwannabe - Yes, the Govt Shutdown may make the entire discussion moot - if there aren't enough TSA agents, 17 minutes here or there won't make a difference.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: DL GM
So I'm connecting through ATL tomorrow from international (MUC) to domestic. Because of a schedule change, my connection is now 1 hour, 24 minutes (one minute below MCT). I was able to check in a few moments ago and nothing looks wrong in the DL app.

I have Global Entry and no checked bag, so I'm not worried as a practical matter (unless TSA people don't know up to work). Any chance DL messes with my itinerary due to violating the MCT?

Thanks,
Keith

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.