Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
90 minutes is plenty of time to make the connection, though I wouldn't check a bag since you'd have to go to baggage claim to get it and recheck it with DL. Assuming you don't check a bag, the only concern is if the Spirit flight is more than about 50 minutes late. DL isn't obliged to help you, though they probably would as long as you don't buy a basic economy fare.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Diana, I agree with Logan but would emphasize that checking the bag would be VERY bad. It would certainly cost you 30 minutes, and very possibly an hour.

P.S., I am assuming the DL connecting flight is something easy and cheap so that if things do get screwed up there is little cost (dollars or time). If the DL flight is to Asia or some such, you need more time in case disaster strikes.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:45 am

HI all, I have a general ATL Logistics questions:
Arriving on DL (domestic flight, B737 aircraft).
Departing on UA.

Both flights are separate tickets. Have 4 hours to connect (no problem there).
I will have checked bags to collect from DL and deposit to UA.

Question is ...for landside ATL transfers .....can I walk from whatever terminal my DL flight arrives to the UA North terminal check-in area?
If it is a difficult walk (e.g., lots of stairways, crossing roads, etc)...then I might just a taxi or something (sounds silly....but could be the way to do it).

There is no way around the checked luggage. I have to deal with it somehow. Any thoughts / suggestions?

PS = I don't think I have been landside at ATL !!! I have never visited ATL!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta FO
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
HI all, I have a general ATL Logistics questions:
Arriving on DL (domestic flight, B737 aircraft).
Departing on UA.

Both flights are separate tickets. Have 4 hours to connect (no problem there).
I will have checked bags to collect from DL and deposit to UA.

Question is ...for landside ATL transfers .....can I walk from whatever terminal my DL flight arrives to the UA North terminal check-in area?
If it is a difficult walk (e.g., lots of stairways, crossing roads, etc)...then I might just a taxi or something (sounds silly....but could be the way to do it).

There is no way around the checked luggage. I have to deal with it somehow. Any thoughts / suggestions?

PS = I don't think I have been landside at ATL !!! I have never visited ATL!
Yes you won't have a problem collecting your bags from Delta and going to check in at United. It's the same building, probably a 5-7 minute walk.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by atlocal
Yes you won't have a problem collecting your bags from Delta and going to check in at United. It's the same building, probably a 5-7 minute walk.
^
Whew! thank you so much. Didn't realize it would be so easy!!
Once I get checked in with United, I will get my daily exercise by walking inside the terminals post security!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:19 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
^
Whew! thank you so much. Didn't realize it would be so easy!!
Once I get checked in with United, I will get my daily exercise by walking inside the terminals post security!
You can walk up and down each concourse and all the concourses are connected underground, you can walk between them instead of taking the plane train.

From the north end to the south end of any given concourse is about 0.4 miles, from the T-gate train stop to F is about 1.3 miles.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
You can walk up and down each concourse and all the concourses are connected underground, you can walk between them instead of taking the plane train.

From the north end to the south end of any given concourse is about 0.4 miles, from the T-gate train stop to F is about 1.3 miles.
Can try to reduce some of the "holiday pounds" with the walking plan
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Can try to reduce some of the "holiday pounds" with the walking plan
Lots of movement between flights also discourages the formation of DVTs and other blood clot problems.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse
Lots of movement between flights also discourages the formation of DVTs and other blood clot problems.
^
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Lots of movements between flights also discourages the use of the onboard lavatories.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Lots of movements between flights also discourages the use of the onboard lavatories.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:13 am

Delta to Jetblue connection

I fly into Atlanta on Delta from Kansas City at 7:15pm. I then
I then have a Jetblue Flight to Boston at 8:26pm. Will I make this connection?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:27 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
maybe! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

if everything goes on time it will be no problem. If there are delays, then maybe it won't.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Checked bags or no checked bags? No checked bags and I'd feel pretty confident, but reclaim, recheck, and reclear security is way too tight for my tastes.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:22 am

No checked bags just a carryon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.