Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 7:33 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
International flights land in E or F. You can look on FlightAware a few days before to see where your ATL-RDU flight has been operating but on the day of I think it could theoretically be anywhere. You can walk instead of taking the plane train if you want; walking the length of the airport from F<->T is roughly 2 miles (this does not include the distance to/from the centerline of the airport from/to your arrival/departure gate).
Old May 25, 2017, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
International flights land in E or F. You can look on FlightAware a few days before to see where your ATL-RDU flight has been operating but on the day of I think it could theoretically be anywhere. You can walk instead of taking the plane train if you want; walking the length of the airport from F<->T is roughly 2 miles (this does not include the distance to/from the centerline of the airport from/to your arrival/departure gate).
Thank you for that. Does the train make a loop or is it obvious which direction you are taking?
Old May 25, 2017, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zitsky
I have 3 hours. Just wondering where my flight might land and where I might pick up my domestic flight. Can I check a few days before. Is it really necessary to take the train? Is it too far to walk? This is all on Delta.
Not that far to walk even if you have to go all the way to T or A. We usually walk between the terminals unless we are in a real hurry.

My recent RDU - ATL and vice versa flights have mostly been from A for 757s and jumped around for the others (my two most recent were a 738 out of D and an MD88 out of A).

No real rhyme or reason as far as I can tell (with the exception of the 752 and now 763 for the summer which are likely more consistent because they are international configs) but 3 hours shouldn't be an issue for any terminal even with the long security / baggage wait that can occur.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by zitsky
Thank you for that. Does the train make a loop or is it obvious which direction you are taking?
The train goes down one side from F to T, then switches over and runs down the other side from T to F.

There are escalators from the concourse level down to the underground train level. If you follow the arrows for the concourse you want to go to and use the escalators in that direction, it is pretty difficult to get on a train going the "wrong" way because the stations are staggered. There's also TVs over the doors showing which concourses are in that direction.

If you end up with a bunch of time after clearing customs and immigration, some of the underground connections have exhibits along the walkways

Between T/A, an exhibit of African sculptures:

https://anewyorkerspointofview.com/2...tion-in-stone/

Between A/B, a sort of nature/forest installation:

http://airport.blog.ajc.com/2016/06/...oming-to-life/

Between B/C, exhibits showing a timeline of the history of Atlanta
Old May 26, 2017, 6:21 am

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!
Old May 30, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: Jetblue Mosaic, Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Connection Viable?

Flight 1: CTG-ATL DL 984 (scheduled to land 6:58pm)
Flight 2: ATL-LAX AA 1249 (departs 7:43pm), from North Terminal

Have Global Entry so not worried about immigration, as well as TSA pre-check but from what I remember the physical distance between the two is going to be a problem? As of now not checking a bag.

Assuming I can get approval to fly the (not even that much more expensive) DL ATL-LAX, do you guys think DL 2255 (departs 8:26pm) would be fine given both would be in the South Terminal?
Old May 30, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eastofthemississippi

Have Global Entry so not worried about immigration, as well as TSA pre-check but from what I remember the physical distance between the two is going to be a problem? As of now not checking a bag.

Assuming I can get approval to fly the (not even that much more expensive) DL ATL-LAX, do you guys think DL 2255 (departs 8:26pm) would be fine given both would be in the South Terminal?
No TSA pre-check for post-immigration security. That's most likely place you'll get tripped up on this. I'd take the 8:26 at a minimum.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by eastofthemississippi
This has to be two separate tickets given the short connection time, and there's no way I'd try this on two separate tickets. If the first flight is late, AA isn't obligated to help you. Even if they do, they might not get you out until the next day and the hotel would be on your own dime. I'd take the later DL flight you mentioned and buy it as a single ticket.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
This has to be two separate tickets given the short connection time, and there's no way I'd try this on two separate tickets. If the first flight is late, AA isn't obligated to help you. Even if they do, they might not get you out until the next day and the hotel would be on your own dime. I'd take the later DL flight you mentioned and buy it as a single ticket.
AA and DL can't be on the same ticket anyway. (At least shouldn't be as if there's IRROPS DL can't reissue a ticket with AA flights nor v.v.)
Old May 30, 2017, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
No TSA pre-check for post-immigration security. That's most likely place you'll get tripped up on this. I'd take the 8:26 at a minimum.
If you arrive in F, when you exit customs instead of turning left to go through the re-clearing lanes past the bag drop, you can turn right instead and exit into the arrivals area, then go upstairs and use PreCheck there as if you were originating in Atlanta.

That being said, I still wouldn't try the proposed itinerary, as others have said.

[I forget what the previous discussions have concluded about whether exit-to-PreCheck is viable when you land in E but ISTR if it is even possible it involves a long walk in which case OP is still hosed]
Old May 30, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
If you arrive in F, when you exit customs instead of turning left to go through the re-clearing lanes past the bag drop, you can turn right instead and exit into the arrivals area, then go upstairs and use PreCheck there as if you were originating in Atlanta.

That being said, I still wouldn't try the proposed itinerary, as others have said.

[I forget what the previous discussions have concluded about whether exit-to-PreCheck is viable when you land in E but ISTR if it is even possible it involves a long walk in which case OP is still hosed]
If OP has no bags (and with checked bags this would hopeless anyway), then he can walk to F from an E landing. But this takes a good bit of time, and likely makes that a poor choice.

I would book the DL flight. The earlier AA flight could easily missconnect even with all flights on time.

The DL flight is no certainty, but the odds on that connection are fairly good. And as said, DL will be easier to deal with in case of a missed connection due to DL (not a slam on AA, just saying DL-DL vs DL-AA).

Also, if it does go "south" , I think DL runs a few more ATL<>LAX flights than AA.
Old May 31, 2017, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Duke787
I forget what the previous discussions have concluded about whether exit-to-PreCheck is viable when you land in E but ISTR if it is even possible it involves a long walk in which case OP is still hosed
Since OP is connecting AA>DL, he is definitely on separate tickets which means he can only use the connecting-pax pathway if he does not have checked bags. If a bag is checked, he must follow the path of pax terminating in ATL since the bags will be routed to landside in F (which would involve the very long walk if the inbound arrives in E).

I'll pile on with others in recommending the later DL flight on a single ticket. I'm usually one of the short-connections-at-ATL cheerleaders, but even for me, 45 min on a separately-ticketed I>D connection is way too likely to go sideways.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 6:52 pm

I just got another schedule change email from Delta. My 84 minute connection in ATL is now 45 minutes. I'm flying from my regional airport to ATL to LHR in late August. I'll be coming in on a CRJ200 so I'll probably be in concourse C or D. I see that is still greater than the MCT but I'm concerned that won't give me much room for error. There is one more flight to LHR after this one but I would prefer not to take that one. Should I be worried about the short connection? I was already a little concerned about the 84 minute connection.

Also, this is the third schedule change on my flights. The first one reduced my connection in ATL to 12 minutes so they changed a flight. Will Delta be willing to change my flights even though I'm above the MCT? There are earlier flights to Atlanta and routing through DTW but they all result in layovers of a few hours.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:02 pm

I have a trip scheduled with intentionally long layovers of more than 3 hours. It's an international trip, and I don't want to miss any connections. I don't do this all the time. One segment goes through ATL.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Tell them its way to short for you. Could have issues walking, if summer storms, etc. Know what flights you want regardless of price. Give thrm those flight details. Theyll generally be willing. If not HUACA, but be polite and not pushy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.