Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
ATL has a common airside area for all gates and the plane trains operate on very short intervals. Just go plane train
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:04 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by joetro
What's the fastest way to get from domestic south to international terminal? I have 77 minutes sitting fairly far up front (16) on my MD-88 inbound from Dallas, going to LHR. Should I take shuttle or plane train?
You should be fine. MD88s usually arrive at A or B (though really it's possible you might arrive at any concourse), you will almost certainly be departing out of E or F. The plane train will be a five minute ride at the most, including wait time.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:04 am
pvn
Suspended

Also, this is still applicable:

Originally Posted by pvn
If you use the app, you can check in "my trips". Gate assignments for the incoming flight to ATL will usually not be given until a couple of hours before arrival, so you may or may not be able to get the info before you leave PNS, and of course sometimes it will change. Once you hit the ground in ATL, while you're taxiing to the gate, though, the app should be pretty accurate.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:16 am

Oh, I see. The Plane Train is just like our SkyTrain at DFW. Seems I can take this from whatever terminal I land at all the way to International, likely with little wait between trains and something like 10 minutes to get to International?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:13 pm
pvn
Suspended

exactly. The app has maps of every airport, and the signage in ATL is pretty good. Just head for the center. In most concourses (except for T, E and F) there will be one set of escalators to go in one direction (towards domestic baggage claim) and another set on the other side of the centerpoint to go in the other direction (towards F), but if you get on the wrong escalator its no big deal since you can just walk to the other side.

The basic layout is

Domestic Baggage Claim and Ticketing
T gates
A
B
C
D
E
F
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by joetro
The Plane Train is just like our SkyTrain at DFW.
Yup, except that the ATL one is more efficient. The ATL train goes through the center of each concourse instead of going around the outside like the DFW one does.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:54 pm

Thanks. Looks doable. Appreciate everyone's help.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Think of the layout of ATL as a spine (the plane train) and rib cage design. As stupidly large as ATL is, it's really pretty easy to get around. Also you're not going to see any 'South Terminal' or 'North Terminal' signs airside. Those are just kind of administrative wordage for 'we're parking the plane at some gate to be determined later'. Inside the airport proper, it's all T (for Terminal) A B C D E F concourses on the signage.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:59 pm

And it's underground.

Airside, easy peasy. Just go to the center of the concourse, go down and jump on.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:25 pm

Okay, cool. Walk to center of any terminal, go downstairs, then catch train to international, use Delta app to check which terminal exactly. Thanks, all.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: AA
I have not flown Delta in a while so I am not familiar with ATL. I will be coming in to concourse T at around 6pm (on American Eagle) then have a connecting flight on concourse C at 8pm on Southwest. Do you guys think this will be enough connection time especially since they are two separate tickets? Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by moonwoo
I have not flown Delta in a while so I am not familiar with ATL. I will be coming in to concourse T at around 6pm (on American Eagle) then have a connecting flight on concourse C at 8pm on Southwest. Do you guys think this will be enough connection time especially since they are two separate tickets? Thanks!
More than enough.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by moonwoo
Even if you needed to pickup luggage, recheck, and reclear security that should be plenty. I make 35 minute connections at ATL frequently.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by dcadwell
More than enough.
thanks both of you!
Old May 1, 2017, 7:10 am

I thought I would ask the forum's opinion on my connection. I feel like I have plenty of time but wanted some tips to cut down my transition if my original flight is delayed.

I have a DL flight from a small regional airport that arrives in ATL at 9am. I then am on a KE flight that departs at 11:55AM. The problem is I have to collect my bags from the baggage area and then recheck them in with KE. Flight is ATL-ICN and I have to check in a bag or two. If all goes to plan, that will be plenty of time to collect my bags, re check with KE, go through security, then head to my gate with maybe a stop at the lounge.

Any tips for a more efficient plan regarding collecting my bags in either B or C and heading the the international terminal? I have read somewhere on here that the international terminal is easier to clear security since it does not get that much traffic but could be mistaken.

This flight takes place on Thursday as well, Jan 4

Thanks in advance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.