Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2005, 1:11 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
Two Tickets

I have flown JAX-ATL-LAX-SLC-LAS on two separate tickets. For some reason Delta reservations kept coming up with a price the exceeded the combined cost of two separate tickets. So I ended up JAX-LAX on one ticket and LAX-LAS on the second. They were able to check my bag through to LAS, but I had to pick up my boarding passes for the LAX-LAS ticket in LAX. They would not issue them in JAX.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL DM
You will need to claim your bags to clear customs in ATL. You can re-check them right after that.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Berto
The Delta agent on the phone said as long as i have a ticket for the ATL-MSP flight, they will check my bags all the way. Im just wanting to be prepared incase it doesnt get checked all the way. If they dont check my bags to MSP, can i just keep the checked bag after customs and take it to the Transfer Desk, or will I be forced to go and wait at Baggage Claim (Seperate Tickets/PNRs)? What about the rest of my group who are ending their flight intinerary in ATL will they have to put their bags back on the conveyor and claim in baggage claim? I assume the answer is probably yes, im just trying to get all the information correct.
If your bags get checked thru to MSP, you will have to claim them at the Intl. concouse in ATL, clear customs, then put them on the conveyor to your connecting flight, go thru security (remember, you have had access to unsecured baggage so you need to be screened again) and then on to whatever concourse for your connecting flight.

If they do not check them through (can't imagine why they wouldn't) you will have to claim them at the Intl. concourse in ATL, clear customs, put them on the conveyor to baggage claim, go thru security, go to the south terminal, retrieve them, go to the counter to recheck them, then go thru security again and then to whatever councourse for your connecting flight. Even if you have to do all of this, it appears that you have plenty of time. You were wise to allow ample time for the connection.

Your traveling companions terminating in ATL will have to claim their bags in ATL, clear customs, put them on the coveyor to baggage claim, go thru security, go to the south terminal and retrieve them. They are NOT allowed to take their checked bags with them once they clear customs. To do so would require that their checked bags be rescreened since they will be passing thru secured areas, not practical when hundreds of passengers are arriving at once.

It seems confusing, but once you see how ATL is laid out and think thru the logisitics of secure areas, it makes sense, even if it seems complicated at first.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, Hilton GoldMarriott Titanium
That explaination makes sense, ecaarch. In all the times ive been through ATL ive pretty much have stayed in Concouses A, B and C. I make sure that my group knows that they will have to pickup luggage at the baggage claim in the South Terminal, so they can get the bus to pick them up there.

Ill be going through ATL a few days before my trip to Italy so I should be able to go down to councourse E and scope things out. That is unless its restricted to International passengers only, or I would have to go through customs to get back to the domestic concourses.

jzumrick, did they let you check in for the LAX-LAS ticket in JAX and then just make you pick up the BPs in LAX, or did you have to check in at LAX?
Old Apr 13, 2005, 4:26 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
It does not matter whether the bags are checked to MSP or just ATL. After clearing customs, you check the bag to MSP and pick up your boarding pass at the ticket counter, and then go through security (the same security checkpoint everyone else uses coming from an international arrival).

It will make more sense once you are there. All you have to do is not follow everyone else in your tour group sending your bags to baggage claim. That would not make any sense as you are not terminating your trip in Atlanta.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 4:28 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by Berto
That explaination makes sense, ecaarch. In all the times ive been through ATL ive pretty much have stayed in Concouses A, B and C. I make sure that my group knows that they will have to pickup luggage at the baggage claim in the South Terminal, so they can get the bus to pick them up there.

Ill be going through ATL a few days before my trip to Italy so I should be able to go down to councourse E and scope things out. That is unless its restricted to International passengers only, or I would have to go through customs to get back to the domestic concourses.

jzumrick, did they let you check in for the LAX-LAS ticket in JAX and then just make you pick up the BPs in LAX, or did you have to check in at LAX?
Don't waste your time visiting concourse E unless you have nothing else to do. The only way to reach the international arrivals area of E is to fly to ATL, which you can't do if you're already in ATL.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 4:42 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, Hilton GoldMarriott Titanium
Im going to have a long layover, but if I cant get to the arrivals section, then Ill just probably stay clear of Concourse E. Well atleast there are some good restaurants that one can spend some time at in ATL.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Berto, like most international airports, concourse E segregates arriving and departing passengers on different levels. You can enter and exit the departing portions of concourse E on the 2nd level just like any other concourse at ATL. There really isn't much to see that is different from the other concourses. You can't access the 3rd (arrivals/immigration) or the 1st (baggage claim/customs) levels unless you are an arriving international passenger.

ATL may not be the most glamorous facility in the world, but it functions pretty efficiently. You connection will be fine. Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 7:41 am

Is 42 min enough time for domestic connection in ATL ?

Sorry not specifically SkyMiles related but I thought you guys overhere would be the best placed to answer this for me.

I have the following planned in my itinerary.

DL 335 LAS - ATL Dep 08:21 Arr 15:23
connecting with
DL 1002 ATL - TPA Dep 16:05 Arr 17:30

I have never been through ATL before will this be enough time to transfer
between domestic flights ?
I will also have checked bags.

Thanks
Old Apr 14, 2005, 7:46 am

Programs: Varying levels of elite and non-elite across several vendors.
In my opinion, ATL is pretty easy to navigate. Just walk to the middle if you have to change terminals, hop on the tram and get to whatever terminal you need. If you're travelling alone it shouldnt be a problem...If you have a family or large group then it'll probably be a little tougher. As for the luggage, no guarantees there. I rarely check bags, so I doubt I could be very usefull in that dept.

Last edited by docrok; Apr 14, 2005 at 7:49 am
Old Apr 14, 2005, 7:47 am

Assuming you actually get there on time, you should be all right, as long as you're not arriving in E and leaving from T.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 8:22 am

Programs: Qantas Gold, Marriot Silver, Sofitel, USAir, Delta,Meritus,Plat IC Ambassador
Is that a 767?

If you're not in J-class, try to get as far forward in coach to minimize the amount of time you're stuck waiting to get off the plane. That can be *agonizing* when a connection is tight and the flight full.

Your bags and you should be just fine though.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by driscj
Is that a 767?

If you're not in J-class, try to get as far forward in coach to minimize the amount of time you're stuck waiting to get off the plane. That can be *agonizing* when a connection is tight and the flight full.

Your bags and you should be just fine though.
Thanks. Yes it is scheduled for a 767 from LAS.

As this is a vacation trip & not biz I will be in Y unfortuntely.

Will being ST Elite+ enable me to reserve decent seats towards the front in advance with DL ?
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:11 am
Suspended

Location: Desert city where Venice, Paris and NY are within walking distance
Programs: Delta and Hilton make a lot of $$ off me
Originally Posted by Airframe
Sorry not specifically SkyMiles related but I thought you guys overhere would be the best placed to answer this for me.

I have the following planned in my itinerary.

DL 335 LAS - ATL Dep 08:21 Arr 15:23
connecting with
DL 1002 ATL - TPA Dep 16:05 Arr 17:30

I have never been through ATL before will this be enough time to transfer
between domestic flights ?
I will also have checked bags.

Thanks
Should be OK. There are 4 or 5 flights to TPA after yours from ATL. So even if you miss the connection, they'll get you on the next one.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:59 am

I've made numerous close connections in ATL. Some as close as 15 or 20 minutes. If it is very close, make sure you have a good pair of running shoes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.