Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Old Aug 3, 2004, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
STT - St Thomas I think is treated as domestic as far as customs and immigration since it is US Virgin Islands.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Flights from STT arrive back into the 48 states as regular domestic flights. You clear customs and immigration in STT, just like most Canadian gateways, BDA, NAS, AUA etc.

Your onnection should be fine to the extent any other 41 minute connection in ATL is OK!
Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
I got that beat! I have 31 minutes to connect from my MSY-DFW to my DFW-LGA flight Thursday! I land in DFW at 6:59a, and depart for LGA at 7:30a! It's a legit connection, but a very tight one. I'm on a MR, and on the advice of FTers here, I'm taking a shot at it! I'll let y'all know how it turns out.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:52 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by NOLA Flyer
I got that beat! I have 31 minutes to connect from my MSY-DFW to my DFW-LGA flight Thursday! I land in DFW at 6:59a, and depart for LGA at 7:30a! It's a legit connection, but a very tight one. I'm on a MR, and on the advice of FTers here, I'm taking a shot at it! I'll let y'all know how it turns out.
Welcome to the Dallas-Fort Worth morning aerobics program - expect to have to go from E33ish to E10 or 11, a good healthy distance.

If it's real tight you may want to consider exiting security and going outside and hopping on any of the green shuttles. They'll drop you off around E8 but there's never anyone at the E8 security entrance until much later b/c it's where the NW and CO desks are.

Good luck, and be thankful you're not changing terminals .
Old Aug 4, 2004, 11:23 am

Thanks for the heads up! Last I checked, I arrive in DFW at gate E32, and depart for LGA out of E18. Not as far as your estimate (although this could change) I'm checking in all my luggage, and travelling light (just my laptop) so I can move fast and not have to worry about not having overhead space for my carryon that I usually lug around with me.

I plan to tour the recently reopened Statue of Liberty (with pedestal tour) tomorrow afternoon (on the last ferry ride over), and these plans are dependent upon me making that 7:30a connection.

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Welcome to the Dallas-Fort Worth morning aerobics program - expect to have to go from E33ish to E10 or 11, a good healthy distance.

If it's real tight you may want to consider exiting security and going outside and hopping on any of the green shuttles. They'll drop you off around E8 but there's never anyone at the E8 security entrance until much later b/c it's where the NW and CO desks are.

Good luck, and be thankful you're not changing terminals .
Old Aug 5, 2004, 6:02 am

For those who care, I'm going to make my connection! My flight arrived early, so I had a few minutes to spare in the CRC near my gate (E11). Gotta go! On my way to LGA!
Old Sep 20, 2004, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; AA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
ATL: minimum connection time

I busted my tail to put together a workable award travel reservation (at the 25,000 mile coach level, which is all we have) for my wife from SAT-NYC on December 30, 2004. Understandably award seats are hard to come by on that date, with returning Christmas travelers and outbound New Year's travelere\s. I thought I had come up with something that worked with the very limited number of reward options available. Essentially my wife was to fly SAT-DFW-ATL on DL and ATL-EWR on CO. The DL flight from DFW-ATL arrives at 6:57 p.m., and her connecting CO flight from ATL-EWR departs at 7:45 p.m. The seats were available on all the flights, but the SkyMiles agent I spoke to said the minimum connection time in ATL is 50 minutes and we were two minutes short. She also said the minimum connection time is mandatory per the FAA.

Was she correct? And is there any way DL can accommodate my wife on those flights since we are only two measly minutes short of the minimum connection time?

Last edited by cAAl; Sep 20, 2004 at 2:24 pm
Old Sep 20, 2004, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; AA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Problem solved. I did the FTer staple: politely hang up and call back and get another agent. He booked the flights as requested with nary a mention of an illegal connection time. I hope and expect that 58 minutes will be enough to go from CO to DL in ATL, and if not, there are several later DL-operated flights between ATL and NYC to use as backup in case of an emergency. Glad it all worked out. Thanks, Delta. ^
Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
58 minutes is lots of time at ATL. Someone will no doubt tell you that it won't be if you are late getting there. No time is safe if you are late and you are just as likely to be early as late. I think, but couldn't find at delta.com, the official "minimum connection time" at ATL is 35 minutes. I have done it in a lot less. I am a bit confused to know whether this is all on one ticket or not. If not, it would take a few extra minutes to checkin in ATL.

Also, FYI, there is loads of award availability SAT-EWR on Dec. 30 in First.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
58 minutes is lots of time at ATL. Someone will no doubt tell you that it won't be if you are late getting there. No time is safe if you are late and you are just as likely to be early as late. I think, but couldn't find at delta.com, the official "minimum connection time" at ATL is 35 minutes. I have done it in a lot less. I am a bit confused to know whether this is all on one ticket or not. If not, it would take a few extra minutes to checkin in ATL.
It's all on one ticket so we will be checked all the way through. A minimum connection time of 35 minutes sure sounds more reasonable to me. Wouldn't it be nice if this information was actually available on the Delta website?

Also, FYI, there is loads of award availability SAT-EWR on Dec. 30 in First.
Yes, there is. Unfortunately, my wife and I only have exactly 25,000 miles each from the recent Ambassador promotion, so it's coach for us. I can live with it for $160 per ticket, however, even though the regional jet from ATL-SAT isn't exactly my idea of a joyous event.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cAAl
It's all on one ticket so we will be checked all the way through. A minimum connection time of 35 minutes sure sounds more reasonable to me. Wouldn't it be nice if this information was actually available on the Delta website?
Well, I know it is no more than 35 minutes. It is available at Delta.com but I just can't find it right now and I am using Cholula's string and tin can to connect to the internet.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 6:51 pm

I've got a 45min cxn in Atlanta this Saturday. I'm a bit worried about it.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by dspringer28
Is there something specific that worries you about the connection? If not, rest easy. 45 minutes is plenty for flying *through* Hartsfield...if you have an initial departure from ATL and have to deal with check-in and security lines there, that's another story.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by sibley
Is there something specific that worries you about the connection? If not, rest easy. 45 minutes is plenty for flying *through* Hartsfield...if you have an initial departure from ATL and have to deal with check-in and security lines there, that's another story.
Well the plan is ORD-ATL-IAD, with so many delays in ORD i get worried. I'm going to get an upgrade on my ATL-IAD flight just about for sure, and the chances of getting it on the next one is slim.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dspringer28
If I worried everytime I had a 45 minute connection in Atlanta I'd have to quit travelling.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.