Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2004, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
As usual in ATL, when I have plenty of connection time, the a/c lands in time. When I have a tight connection, I'm always late landing. Murphy's law I guess. Good luck.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL 1.3MM/SM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum
well considering that us MCO folks fly into E and connect in A and B quite frequently, I bet you will have to run through the concourse~

I have seen it all, landing on time and our gate was occupied so we sat on the tarmac and extra 15 minuets, Jetway broken, Holding pattern in ATL after getting there,

Being burned several times last year with 45 minute connections ,I try to give myself at least an hour when flying on a aircraft into the "E" concourse
Old Apr 27, 2004, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by USCGamecock
As usual in ATL, when I have plenty of connection time, the a/c lands in time. When I have a tight connection, I'm always late landing. Murphy's law I guess. Good luck.
That's the way it always happens
Old Apr 27, 2004, 5:27 pm

On a related question, what are Upgrades like on Sat. pre-noons ATL-LAX, the two options are DL115 (777) or 541(764) I will be on T fare most likely on May 15. Thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by dspringer28
What times/days were these flights?
Sorry to took so long to reply...

Monday mornings, scheduled landing at about 10:15am for the past 2-3 months. For the most part it's been weather related with about 20-30 min of circling before landing and/or being grounded before taking off in BOS because of east coast and/or ATL weather.

Last edited by leapinglizard; Apr 29, 2004 at 12:57 pm Reason: added more info
Old Apr 29, 2004, 2:15 pm

I don't know

I had a 1 hour and 15 minute layover time in ATL. I missed the flight. Wanna know why? Because ATL had delays on arriving flights, but departing flights were ontime. Go figure?? I was coming in from LAX on the 777 and connecting to JFK, and I missed it by 3 minutes. Hopefully, you should be okay, because without any congestion- you could probably do it in about 30 minutes. Good luck
Old Apr 29, 2004, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by pofriri
I had a 1 hour and 15 minute layover time in ATL. I missed the flight. Wanna know why? Because ATL had delays on arriving flights, but departing flights were ontime. Go figure?? I was coming in from LAX on the 777 and connecting to JFK, and I missed it by 3 minutes. Hopefully, you should be okay, because without any congestion- you could probably do it in about 30 minutes. Good luck
You know that is the worst! And they usually make the announcement that everything is backed up and the connecting flights are all running late and they you run to your gate to see the boarding door closed and the plane sitting there. Well Hartsfield is the busiest Airport in America and if it rains for 15 minuets traffic is backed up for hours!
Old Apr 29, 2004, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I knew the delay issue would come up in this question. It was based on an assumption that you have 47 minutes to connect at ATL and that is more than enough time to make it from anyplace to anyplace at ATL. No running needed, I don't run anyplace in an airport.

Maybe I am the only that routinely arrives early at ATL. I am early more than I am late. Now, that is no particular advantage since I know most of you know that being early usually means you have to wait for your gate.

If I need to qualify the answer a bit, 3/4 of an hour is fine from the time you step off that plane. I don't sit in 43B much, that could be a factor.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
I knew the delay issue would come up in this question. It was based on an assumption that you have 47 minutes to connect at ATL and that is more than enough time to make it from anyplace to anyplace at ATL. No running needed, I don't run anyplace in an airport.

Maybe I am the only that routinely arrives early at ATL. I am early more than I am late. Now, that is no particular advantage since I know most of you know that being early usually means you have to wait for your gate.

If I need to qualify the answer a bit, 3/4 of an hour is fine from the time you step off that plane. I don't sit in 43B much, that could be a factor.
And coming from Indiana you are not coming into the E concourse too often, but sitting in the back of the bus, coming into the E concourse on Large DL Metal, 47 Minuets is Rough to get over to A2 or B36. If you are in 5B on the 777 makes de-planing so much more enjoyable.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ThisDJ
And coming from Indiana you are not coming into the E concourse too often, but sitting in the back of the bus, coming into the E concourse on Large DL Metal, 47 Minuets is Rough to get over to A2 or B36. If you are in 5B on the 777 makes de-planing so much more enjoyable.
Coming from Indiana, I never come into E concourse. Coming from California, I always come into E concourse because I always pick a B/E plane. And, magically, I go to E concourse on the way out. As I said, after you are off of the plane, 45 minutes is a piece of cake.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by indufan
That is only true if you took a domestic flight. If you flew across the pond, after you step off the plane:

1. You go to Passport Control.
2. You go to baggage claim.
3. You stand in line to recheck your baggage.
4. You pass through what can be a VERY long security line.

Only then can you start heading towards your next flight. I have spent over an hour going through steps 1-4 above.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster
That is only true if you took a domestic flight. If you flew across the pond, after you step off the plane:

1. You go to Passport Control.
2. You go to baggage claim.
3. You stand in line to recheck your baggage.
4. You pass through what can be a VERY long security line.

Only then can you start heading towards your next flight. I have spent over an hour going through steps 1-4 above.

Oh, I agree, it's only true for domestic travel.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:42 pm

Go Pacers!
Old Aug 3, 2004, 8:33 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Connection Times in Atlanta: The Definitive Thread

I am flying STT/ATL/MLB on Sunday night 08 Aug....I land ATL 8:26pm and MLB flight departs 9:07pm....41 minutes later.....DL insists this is a legal connection....even though this is "domestic" while being "international"........
Would someone please share thoughts? Whose wingflaps are stuck, Delta's or Dedehans?
Old Aug 3, 2004, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I'd say Delta's, BUT - the next flight out is on an RJ, so if you make your 9:07 flight then great because no RJ... and if you don't then you take the next one out. If your only other option in the first place was booking the 2-hour connection w/ the RJ flight (which rules out any chance of being on a non-RJ flight), I'd say you're ahead as it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.