Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:40 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Wanderer
emma dog -

Much appreciate info - we're headed to a 15 day cruise so not very likely carryon would suffice.

Looking now at either arriving a day early and staying in ATL Hilton, or alternately taking a much longer 2-flight option out of SEA that gets us to ATL a couple hours earlier.

These days I like to give my self more time, and therefore more options. The sooner, the better. Desireable stuff fills up.
Wanderer and emma dog like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mattp1987
This is the Delta forum so not the best place for information on an AS to BA transfer. I looked in the Alaska forum and found this thread that implies that AS will interline bags to BA on separate tickets. Alaska to American Through-Check (Interline) Bags on Separate Tickets? See posts starting at post 16. I couldn't find the information to back that up on the links provided though, so it's probably worth calling.

I'm not sure if you're wedded to OW, but SEA and ATL are both DL hubs and served by multiple flights per day. I see nonstops arriving at 1:50pm, 3:09pm, and 5:38pm on Nov 17. If AS won't check your bags through and you can't go carry-on only as emma dog suggested, I'd book one of those earlier Delta flights to give yourself more time to get to domestic baggage claim, on the shuttle, and checked in at the international terminal.
​​​​​​​Plus DL agents will generally through check bags, even to non-partners. (I regularly do it to AY)
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Does the 75D always (or at least the vast majority of the time) disembark from 2L at ATL or are the gates variable and it's a coin toss if they do 2L vs 1L?

I've got a fairly tight connection and flying in F (somehow cleared RUC). F is wide open so debating whether I should sit in row 2 or row 4/5 to accelerate deplaning given the tight connection (I know it doesn't make a huge difference but every minute counts with the tight turn).
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
IME, 75Ds almost always use door 2L at ATL. I would probably pick the row 4 seat to slightly mitigate the situation where door 1L is used, but like you said, you're probably looking at most at a minute or two difference in disembarking anyway.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:02 pm

757s will always use the L2 door in ATL (or the US, really). Only time I've seen 1L used is at some international stations
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UnevenGray
757s will always use the L2 door in ATL (or the US, really). Only time I've seen 1L used is at some international stations
Not necessarily. Most of the time at RDU (where I'm originating/based) the 757 uses L1 unless it's down at the international gates (which is a YMMV right now since RDU - CDG isn't operational but all the other gates right there are AA so they usually park the 757 right in the middle)
Old Jul 13, 2022, 4:58 am

I've taken the 757 into/out of RDU many times (just checked my spreadsheet, looks like 20 times since 2018) and I've never used L1 (I would have definitely marked that on the spreadsheet), and it's always been at C1.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I've taken the 757 into/out of RDU many times (just checked my spreadsheet, looks like 20 times since 2018) and I've never used L1 (I would have definitely marked that on the spreadsheet), and it's always been at C1.
C1? The cockpit window?
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
C1? The cockpit window?
gate C1 (i.e. not the international gates at the end of the C concourse)
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:16 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Continuing the thread drift

I was once on a SFO-DTW flight on a 752 that boarded from 2L and deplaned through 1L. I don't usually record gate numbers but I found a FT post where I commented on this and it was gate A74.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 10:49 am

Flying BOS-ATL-AUS in October and had originally planned a 95 minute connection, but schedule changes to each flight have left me with just 59 minutes.

I’m flying Comfort+ which should give me a better chance, and will be travelling with luggage. With current operational issues etc is this doable and, if it is, what are the chances of my luggage making it?
Old Jul 31, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
ATL’s baggage transfer is very good- I’ve had a number of times my bag made my original flight when my person did not.

59 minutes isn’t ideal but I wouldn’t mess with that length connection unless it’s a last flight of the night scenario.
Y29M likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
DL's cutting of their flight schedules seems to have helped their reliability quite a bit. I wouldn't be worried about myself or my bags on a 59 minute ATL connection.
AeRoSpaceman and Y29M like this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 12:51 pm

Thanks beachmouse/Logan Flyer! That’s put my mind at ease!
Old Jul 31, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM
If your flight is on time then I wouldn't worry about 59 minutes. The tram ( I made sure to clock 2 weeks ago) takes 35 seconds between each gate T-A-B-C-D and a little longer ( less than a minute) to get from D-E and a little less that a minute from E-F.
If you had to reclaim baggage and ckeck-in then no not enough time. But you're not.
Enjoy your trip.
Y29M likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.