Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 27, 22, 9:31 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Wiki Link
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Old May 29, 20, 10:04 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes View Post
Last night I jumped at purchasing a Delta ticket. I'd been looking for awhile for a carrier with first class availability on a specific date in June and something reasonable popped up on Delta. By "reasonable", I mean one connection and almost 1K one way, so not really reasonable ---- but it's far better than anything I'd found previously for the day I need. It wasn't until I purchased the ticket I went back and looked at the connection time.

Arriving Atlanta at 801 PM on a Saturday night in late June, with a connecting flight to DCA at 840 PM. That's 36 minutes through ATL. Don't recall what Delta's boarding cut-off is, but in reality that 36 minutes must actually be somewhere between 15-25 minutes? It seems too tight, but...... I know Delta has connections on the short side, and I've made them more often than not. Travel now is not "usual" though.

Thoughts on if the connection is reasonably achievable? Thanks. I'm within 24 hours so can still cancel without penalty.

Pluses: I'd be coming from STT so no customs issues. F cabin, so near first off. I might end up having a checked bag, although trying to avoid it. But not a problem either way. I'm fine with Delta missing it and delivering the next day. Negatives: I'm not a fast "mover" and would have a carry-on bag. So even less fast - bad knees and quasi full carry-on = slow mover.
This seems like a tight connection, especially since were getting into ATLs afternoon thunderstorm season. An off topic question however is there a specific reason why you are purchasing a FC ticket right now on DL? Note that DL is not serving any meals/drinks on any of their domestic flights in both FC and Y (see this FT thread DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)) and the only thing you will get is bottled water and a snack bag. If you are looking for a true FC experience, Id save your money and just buy Y right now. $1K seems like a lot to spend when you will get the same exact experience in F as you will if you just by Y or even BE.
Old May 29, 20, 10:12 am

If you miss your connection is there another flight that night or will it require an overnight?
Old May 29, 20, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MCT is 35 minutes, so it's legal. The arrival time is gate arrival (not landing). Yes, there can be variable times in getting jetway attached and door open. But it generally shouldn't take more than a few minutes. DL pads their flight times a bit and looking at flight history, the flight often arrives 15 minutes or more early. That said, when there was weather in the area recently, it was 16 minutes late. The good news is you will probably not encounter gate or airspace congestion with current amount of flying. The flight has also been arriving at A gates recently and the DCA flight often seems to use A gates as well. The main variable will likely be possible weather. If you are comfortable with possibly having to overnight in ATL, I would probably risk it under current circumstances.
Old May 29, 20, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
If you miss your connection is there another flight that night or will it require an overnight?
That DCA flight is the last flight of the day, so it will be an overnight situation if flight is missed (there are no later flights to WAS area on DL or other airlines in June).

Last edited by xliioper; May 29, 20 at 10:52 am
Old May 29, 20, 10:49 am

Thanks everyone; much appreciate the inputs. It's tough on me physically to fly anything but F. Even F is tough anymore on certain hard products configurations. But I didn't realize -- no beverages at all in F? I can't even get a glass of wine or can of coke with an airplane bottle? AA is serving F on request, per their stated terms. There's been some reports of FA's refusing, but mostly F passengers have been served. Does Delta have a more prohibitive policy in place?

I thought about staying some additional days until a better connection opens up. But for June it's pretty much Delta or AA from STT, at least with only one connection. Even AA's flights are 800.00 on what's left available in F for June. If you can find any. There weren't many to begin with, and what was there is going like wildfire now, ever since word came out a few days ago that USVI really will reopen 1 June. If I travel in June, am pretty much resigned that's what it'll end up costing regardless what day I come back. But the lack of even normal beverage service in F is something to think about.
Old May 29, 20, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, CLEAR/Global Entry
Thanks everyone; much appreciate the inputs. It's tough on me physically to fly anything but F. Even F is tough anymore on certain hard products configurations. But I didn't realize -- no beverages at all in F? I can't even get a glass of wine or can of coke with an airplane bottle? AA is serving F on request, per their stated terms. There's been some reports of FA's refusing, but mostly F passengers have been served. Does Delta have a more prohibitive policy in place?

I thought about staying some additional days until a better connection opens up. But for June it's pretty much Delta or AA from STT, at least with only one connection. Even AA's flights are 800.00 on what's left available in F for June. If you can find any. There weren't many to begin with, and what was there is going like wildfire now, ever since word came out a few days ago that USVI really will reopen 1 June. If I travel in June, am pretty much resigned that's what it'll end up costing regardless what day I come back. But the lack of even normal beverage service in F is something to think about.
I don't anticipate any change in the service levels til July at the earliest, and a PDB can be scarce sometimes depending on the motivation of the crews especially now,... but If onboard refreshment is mission critical, I always manage to bring one or two empty water bottles and fill them up with my libation of choice after a quick visit to the Duty Free ... The wearing of a face covering also conceals any suspect aromas from the beverage..."Modern Problems require Modern Solutions"
Old May 29, 20, 11:57 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle

The only beverage you will be able to get on a domestic DL flight is a mini Dasani water bottle; DL is not catering anything else. I’d also note that DL is blocking out all middle seats in Y which makes it much more bearable.
Old May 29, 20, 12:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 3MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
That connection time is tight, but most likely OK. With the one caveat of thunderstorms..... Given that the atlanta airport has shut down several terminals, B and E and half of T, and is "minimizing" the use of C and D, you will most likely connect in the "A" terminal. YMMV. As stated before, Delta does pad it's schedule so if you depart on time, you will most likely arrive early into ATL. Also FWIW, the only skyclubs open are in the A, D and F concourses. The bulk of stores, bars, and restaurants are closed in the airport. 300 of the 340 concessions are closed.
Old May 29, 20, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA PlatPro, UA Premier
Pretty much anything domestic on mainline right now is using A. I saw a couple of smaller narrowbodies over on D the past couple of days but wasn't sure if those are being used.
Old May 29, 20, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum
I was on a DL flight last Monday, everyone, in First and Economy was offered a baggy with a couple snacks, mini water and Purell. No service other than that...at all.
Old May 29, 20, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
No worries, Delta will most likely cancel or make sigifican schedule changes before you even get on your first leg,

After 2 months of multiple booking a simple connection via Atlanta next week and ending up with mis-connects and several hour layovers, I finally gave up on Delta and canceled asking for my money back

The odds of major changes to a booking in June are very high that it will occur at least once
Old May 29, 20, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo View Post
No worries, Delta will most likely cancel or make sigifican schedule changes before you even get on your first leg,

After 2 months of multiple booking a simple connection via Atlanta next week and ending up with mis-connects and several hour layovers, I finally gave up on Delta and canceled asking for my money back

The odds of major changes to a booking in June are very high that it will occur at least once
What? The June schedule was finalized weeks ago. DL might add frequencies on certain routes if need be, but the chance of a schedule change to a June booking is basically zero.
Old May 29, 20, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by aacar View Post
What? The June schedule was finalized weeks ago. DL might add frequencies on certain routes if need be, but the chance of a schedule change to a June booking is basically zero.
Well my flights next week are certainly gone now. I just got the E-mail from DL yesterday and managed to get a full refund.
I did offer Delta to keep my money but only if they extended the validity for one year from "today". They declined so I took the refund.
Old May 29, 20, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo View Post
Well my flights next week are certainly gone now. I just got the E-mail from DL yesterday and managed to get a full refund.
I did offer Delta to keep my money but only if they extended the validity for one year from "today". They declined so I took the refund.
What matters is when you booked them. If you booked before the weekend of May 9th, this was pre-June schedule cutbacks and any bookings would be subject to significant changes. Booking flights for June post May 9th should see limited changes. The July schedule was loaded last weekend and that should be relatively set now as well. Booking now for August and beyond will still be up in the air as far as final schedules.

Last edited by xliioper; May 29, 20 at 11:11 pm
Old May 30, 20, 7:18 am

Off topic a bit, but does STT have passport pre-clearance?

Search this Thread