Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Yes there are two more flights (hence the 1:40 vs 2:39 question). I don't have Global entry, only TSA Pre-Check. I'm new to flying international to domestic through ATL, having recently converted from bad experiences with AA in DFW. Thanks.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Take the 1:40 connection. There's a very good chance you'll make it, and if not, they'll put you on the flight an hour later as long as it's not full.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AF Explorer, Marriott Gold,
In a few weeks, I'm flying from IAH to CDG with a 1:17 connection in ATL. When I was looking at flights online, this was the only domestic outbound that was offered - are my chances of making it really that bad? I guess I am just confused as to why AF would sell me this flight if there is such a high probabilty that I'll miss my connection.

Last edited by KCWatORD; Jan 2, 2020 at 3:07 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I feel like the minimum sensible connecting time for ATL in winter (odds are higher for a summer thunderstorm disruption than winter snow one) is somewhere in the 1:10-1:15 range, and while a full two hours would be nice in terms of being able to move around a bit before a longer flight, I'd be fine with it.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by KCWatORD
In a few weeks, I'm flying from IAH to CDG with a 1:17 connection in ATL. When I was looking at flights online, this was the only domestic outbound that was offered - are my chances of making it really that bad? I guess I am just confused as to why AF would sell me this flight if there is such a high probabilty that I'll miss my connection.
You'll be fine. Granted, ATL is my home airport, but I would be comfortable with any connection there above 30 minutes. 1hr 17min is plenty of time IMO.
AeRoSpaceman and gooselee like this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:36 pm

eneq Thank you so much! Is there anything I need to know in advance that would facilitate the connection quickly?
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:52 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
The layout is good enough you don’t really need any tips- you walk toward the middle of the arrival concourse, go underground to catch the plane train to the next concourse and then exit and go above ground to your next gate. The only real issue is if you have below average mobility since a lot of walking may be needed

Since you’re on a single ticket with through checked bags, you will be entirely airside. So ignore anything that tells you North Terminal, South Terminal or International Terminal- those refer to landslide check-in areas (Transatlantic flights are typically from the E and F. concourses)
AeRoSpaceman and KCWatORD like this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
ATL is one of the most easily navigable airports I have ever been to. Having to always connect there from PNS, you will learn the lay of the land in just one visit as every terminal is the same. As beachmouse stated once you are off the plane just head towards the middle of the terminal, take the escalator/elevator down to the plane train level and get on to your next terminal. If you have time and don't mind walking then go for it. I think the trains run around ~60 seconds now if I am remembering correctly.. Either way there is a video sign saying how long until the next train arrives. Once to your outbound terminal go up the escalator/elevator and then you will go right or left to your gate.
KCWatORD likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
Your flight from IAD will most likely arrive at either T or A concourse, and your CDG flight will leave out of E or F concourse. Even though those concourses are on opposite ends of the airport, it'll take 20 minutes at most to get from gate-to-gate using the train. If you have time and are up for it, the walk between concourses is kinda cool (especially between A and B concourses).
AeRoSpaceman and KCWatORD like this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:49 am

why do you think there is a high probability that you'll misconnect?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:04 am

I'm on another travel forum and people were saying that I'd need a minimum of 2 hours to connect domestic to international in ATL and that basically I was an idiot for accepting the itinerary AF provided.

Realistically, I'm more worried about weather and the usual delays.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I mention this every so often to someone flying in/out/through ATL for the first time.

Just think of ATL like a 7-story building, but on its side.

The seven concourses (T-A-B-C-D-E-F) are your seven floors.
The entrance/exits to the building are on the ground floor (Concourse T; North/South Terminals) and the roof (Concourse F; International Terminal).
You can either walk (moving walkways) or take the elevator (Plane Train) to get from one floor to the next.
The stairwell/elevator shaft (walkway/train tunnel) generally sits in the middle of each floor (concourse).

Also there are plenty of signs and most DL agents/employees will be helpful if they're not in the middle of actively boarding a flight or something. ATL also employs hospitality guides who wear green jackets and wander around during busy times - these people are airport employees and the entire purpose of their job is to answer questions and help people navigate the airport.

As others have said, 1:17 should be plenty of time for an IAH-ATL >> ATL-CDG connection. I'd advise going directly to your ATL-CDG gate first, then once you're there determine if/how much time you have left to use the bathroom, grab a snack, etc.
KCWatORD likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:28 am

I'm on another travel forum and people were saying that I'd need a minimum of 2 hours to connect domestic to international in ATL and that basically I was an idiot for accepting the itinerary AF provided.

Realistically, I'm more worried about weather and the usual delays.
I wonder if those people have ever connected in ATL. It's plenty of time and practically, you don't need significantly more time to connect to an international flight than a domestic one since there's no exit passport control etc.

Plus, from ATL, there are tons of rebooking options if something does go sideways. I would not worry.
KCWatORD and gooselee like this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:21 am

Fantastic analogy! I do appreciate that! I feel a lot better about this now. I usually fly nonstop on AF from IAH, but the fare with the connection was better this time. Thank you!
N501US and gooselee like this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 5:51 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
We have a connection from MBJ through ATL to AVL in a couple of weeks. Do we have to pass through a TSA line in ATL, or just customs and immigration? I ask as I was going to do carry on only and might want to make some duty free liquor purchases in MBJ. If I have to go through a TSA line in ATL that'll mess up that plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.