Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gooselee
Well, if you have GE, are seated such that you're one of the first off the plane, don't have checked bags, know the ATL immigration process well, AND like to live on the edge a little...I"d say it's certainly possible to make that connection.

But you'd have to have nearly everything go right. Certainly not a guaranteed even if the inbound is exactly on time.
I've made it with only 50 minutes from point my Qatar flight pulled into gate to time my outbound flight on DL left. This included needing to obviously pickup and recheck bags. I had GE, but APC or mobile passport most likely would've been sufficient. Only issue was TSA that insisted I couldn't take a sealed duty free bottle of alcohol through security. (If I had space in my bag I would've packed it) Luckily a supervisor was next to him and informed him that can indeed take it through security, so didn't lose any time.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by pvn
I would guess that a typical mid-level frequent flyer with GE who has entered the US at ATL once before and doesn't have checked bags would be able to make that 68 minute connection at least 85% of the time. It certainly wouldn't require "everything go right". entry with GE and no bags isn't going to take more than 15 minutes 99% of the time. TSA screening would be much more of a wildcard but even that shouldn't take more than 10 (people massively overestimate how long they're in line).

You might not make it to the gate in time for PREM boarding but it's definitely doable, even if it's inside MCT.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I've made it with only 50 minutes from point my Qatar flight pulled into gate to time my outbound flight on DL left. This included needing to obviously pickup and recheck bags. I had GE, but APC or mobile passport most likely would've been sufficient. Only issue was TSA that insisted I couldn't take a sealed duty free bottle of alcohol through security. (If I had space in my bag I would've packed it) Luckily a supervisor was next to him and informed him that can indeed take it through security, so didn't lose any time.
I did say "nearly everything" has to go right.

I agree that 68 mins is doable. My point was that it's just a bit tight - all it takes is a moderate arrival delay, or long taxi, or short staffed ground crew, or TSA goof up, or bag mixup, etc. for any cushion to quickly disappear. Apparently this sort of thing will happen 15% of the time.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:51 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Honestly I find these conversations of whether a connection is "doable" to not be very useful. There are two relevant questions:

1) What's the MCT?
2) What's the risk? (i.e. are there later flights? what's the consequence if there's a misconnect? Does the passenger have circumstances that make connections lengthier?)

A simple "is it doable?" doesn't really address either of those.

In almost every situation I would book that connection without even thinking about it. But there are some cases where I wouldn't! My circumstances aren't the same on every trip.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by JerryGuitar
Coming from MBJ, connecting to domestic in ATL. Schedule changes shortened my original connection to 1hr 8min, so DL rescheduled me on earlier flight from MBJ, now creating a 3hr layover in ATL. Is 1hr 8m really too short to clear customs and get to my domestic gate? I see the wikipost recommends 1hr 25m, but curious what others think. Other Caribbean arrivals (AUA, NAS, etc) have shorter recommended times. I'd rather spend the time in MBJ than ATL if possible
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
The difference between AUA, NAS, and MBJ is that the first two airports have preclearance while MBJ doesn't. 1 hour, 8 minutes isn't enough to make it through the customs process and catch a connecting flight at ATL.
Originally Posted by gooselee
Well, if you have GE, are seated such that you're one of the first off the plane, don't have checked bags, know the ATL immigration process well, AND like to live on the edge a little...I"d say it's certainly possible to make that connection.

But you'd have to have nearly everything go right. Certainly not a guaranteed even if the inbound is exactly on time.
The original question was "why is the MCT for MBJ 1 hour 25 minutes while AUA and NAS MCTs are 45 minutes?" Yes, a flyer coming from a non-precleared international origin without a checked bag and with GE could make a 68 minute connection at ATL, but the answer to the question of why MCT is 85 minutes is that the average traveler cannot.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
The original question was "why is the MCT for MBJ 1 hour 25 minutes while AUA and NAS MCTs are 45 minutes?" Yes, a flyer coming from a non-precleared international origin without a checked bag and with GE could make a 68 minute connection at ATL, but the answer to the question of why MCT is 85 minutes is that the average traveler cannot.
Funny. I thought the original question was:
Originally Posted by JerryGuitar
Is 1hr 8m really too short to clear customs and get to my domestic gate?

Not that the clarification re: AUA/NAS wasn't relevant, since OP brought it up as a comparison. But I thought it was quite obvious that OP was asking FT for advice on whether or not he/she should roll with a 68 min connection or not. And I have no idea whether OP is an "average traveler" or a tried and tested road warrior.

And I also agree with pvn that "can you make it" and "should you book it" are different questions. If you've got an 85% chance of making the connection, that's one thing. The other half of the question is what are the consequences the other 15% of the time.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:23 am

ATL transfers

Trust I've done this right - new to site.

I hope somebody can help me, please.
We have to 2 flights with transfers at ATL and worried about transfer times. Also have checked baggage.Journey 1: BNA (seats 32E 32F) - ATL - MEM with 43 min transfer timeJourney 2: MEM (seats 20D 20E) - ATL - INTERNATIONAL (Heathrow) with 58 min transfer timeBoth of us are in our sixties and difficulty walking fast. Also no idea of ATL layout other than looking a maps!Hope this is enough information.Thanks in advance
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:05 am
pvn
Suspended

43 minutes is plenty at ATL. Transfers are pretty straightforward. If you have the app, when you land at ATL you can check which gates you'll be going from/to.

There's a train that connects all of the concourses (escalators to the train are in the centerpoint of each concourse) and you won't need to re-clear security no matter where your flight is.

BNA and MEM flights are usually in A or B concourses, it's likely you may not even need to use the train.

If you do misconnect, delta has about 12 flights per day to MEM so it won't be hard to get rebooked.

Your LHR flight will almost certainly depart from concourse E or F.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by GrahamT
.....transfers at ATL and worried about transfer times.....
The answer to this question on FlyerTalk is never “No, you do not have enough time.”

My answer; “Yes, you will make it; unless your inbound flight is late to arrive.”
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:17 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by RRDD
My answer; “Yes, you will make it; unless your inbound flight is late to arrive.”[/left]
of course, that's the answer for every connection
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If you have problems walking, request a wheelchair. I request one for my mother anytime she flies.

When flying out internationally, all your doc checks will be done at MEM or if you give them your passport at BNA checkin. Thus no need to do anything but board your international flight.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you don't need a wheelchair, you can also request or flag down the motorized carts zooming up and down the concourses. Ask gate agents and other employees for help and directions - they will point you in the right direction!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
ATL is way too big, but is very good with directional signs and was built out in a logical fashion, and the airport layout in the back of the airline magazine actually is a good depiction of the real concourse layout.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by pvn
43 minutes is plenty at ATL. Transfers are pretty straightforward. If you have the app, when you land at ATL you can check which gates you'll be going from/to..
New to ATL and while I see all the posts like yours how 43 is 'plenty' and so I accept it. But it's still hard to believe considering that as you're landing on flight one (T-45), your connection is nearly boarding (T-40). I have an 1h13m connection but it looks like boarding is 34 minutes after I land. If I was in the back of an A321 on MCT I'd be stressed out. Just some $0.02
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:15 pm
pvn
Suspended

They'll let you on the plane even if you show up after boarding starts.
dcadwell likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by pvn
They'll let you on the plane even if you show up after boarding starts.
I'm aware but I am like many that like to be in their boarding group for the OHB space. Heck sometimes the F bins fill up by the end of SP boarding. Also, I'm used to AA which loves to start boarding early. Multiple times I've shown up at the "boarding begins" time and found them on group 6 already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.