Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:53 pm

Was so thrilled to receive a great price on a multi-city itinerary OMA-PHL (overnight at my expense) then onto LGW next day (via ATL) that I did not think about the 48 minute connection I will have when I arrive in ATL. I imagine that the inbound flight from PHL will arrive in a different terminal then the departing flight to LGW. I will most likely have only carry on baggage but I still feel this is too tight and I could possibly miss the LGW flight if there are even slight delays. When I ticketed this flight this was the only option shown for the next day PHL-LON flight. Would I have a chance at asking to be confirmed instead on a ATL-LHR flight that leaves a couple of hours later? Or would DL instead have me take the PHL-LHR flight that connects through CDG ?This is the less expensive option that is shown on delta.com presently however it is not a widebody aircraft and has 3 and 3 seating in coach that I find less desirable? Any recommendations on how to approach this?
Old Feb 5, 2012, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Would I have a chance at asking to be confirmed instead on a ATL-LHR flight that leaves a couple of hours later? Or would DL instead have me take the PHL-LHR flight that connects through CDG ?This is the less expensive option that is shown on delta.com presently however it is not a widebody aircraft and has 3 and 3 seating in coach that I find less desirable? Any recommendations on how to approach this?
If you have a legal connection - and you do unless there's been a schedule change since you ticketed it - changing the ticket is at your expense, with a change fee common to discounted tickets and difference in fare. Day of travel, if you get to ATL too late for LGW you can ask to be routed to LHR (or via AMS or CDG). If it's clear (not just a bit likely) departing PHL you're going to miss the LGW flight, you might get rerouted PHL - (not ATL) - LGW/LHR.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:08 am

45 minute connection A to Int'l

Will have first flight from RIC to ATL and then 45 min layover to get to gate for int'l flight to San Juan. Is this do-able? Delta offers the route and the price is right.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Possible? Yes. Prudent - absolutely not if you're connecting to the last of five Delta ATL-SJU flights a day at 7:28PM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:47 am

The SJU flight would be the first out that day. So, we'd have a backup if necessary but would miss our San Juan connection.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tabasco
The SJU flight would be the first out that day. So, we'd have a backup if necessary but would miss our San Juan connection.
In that case, if I were protected at SJU, I would definitely keep the itinerary.

If not protected, I would keep it if there were any other way to get where I was going if I missed the connection in SJU.

I would not like it either way, but what difference if the itinerary goes blooey in ATL or SJU? If it works you are in clover.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:08 pm

[QUOTE=tabasco;18069113]Will have first flight from RIC to ATL and then 45 min layover to get to gate for int'l flight to San Juan. Is this do-able? Delta offers the route and the price is right.[/QUOTE

San Juan is not international.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP Gold 100K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I am looking at booking a trip an I would have a connection in Atlanta of 40 minutes. I am coming from LAX on DL 64 and are connecting to DL 117 to Detroit. Is 40 minutes both doable and legal?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Barbella7
...Is 40 minutes both doable and legal?
It is legal and often doable but IMO inadvisable. You can book it and if you don't make it, there are a couple of flights later that you might be able to get on. If everything works smoothly, you are likely to make it but if there is any sort of foul-up, you are dead in the water.

I will add that at the hour that you are landing, ATL is very busy and it is not unheard of for an airplane that has arrived timely to sit around for as much as 30 minutes waiting for a gate to open.

And nowadays, with the full airplanes, unless you have Medallion status with DL, you might have a bit of trouble getting a seat on the later flights and if you do, it will probably be a middle seat in the back of the airplane. I would schedule a change with more time than 40 minutes, certainly at that time of day.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:09 pm

I would also be connecting in Detroit to State College, PA so if I take the later one, it leaves me with a 22 minute connection from C to A. I am planning to use miles to UG to FC so I would be off the plane first. I am assuming with F opening in ATL it may reduce some of the congestion issues.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With all of those connections, why not just take an earlier flight out of LAX? You will be spending the entire day traveling anyhow so what difference does an hour or two in the morning make? Is flight 64 the only one with G or Z available?

I fail to understand this urgent need to minimize travel time. All it does to you in the current environment is get you stuck somewhere you do not want to be.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:17 pm

Its all about the planes! I am actually spending all day traveling. SEA-LAX-ATL-DTW-SCE. Gotta get the 77L from LAX-ATL.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its all about the planes! I am actually spending all day traveling. SEA-LAX-ATL-DTW-SCE. Gotta get the 77L from LAX-ATL.
I do not know the dates you are planning but once you get into June, there are precious few Z available on that flight and you can have all the miles that you need and not be able to upgrade with them.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:48 pm

Strange. I have noticed on EF that there is absolutely no availability in Z or G class for either. Does DL add any inventory?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Strange. I have noticed on EF that there is absolutely no availability in Z or G class for either. Does DL add any inventory?
Those of us who get the SWUs have been tracking that sort of stuff for years now. The overall experiences and the classic wisdom on that subject says "no" but there have been occasional sightings of exceptions. However, I certainly would not count on it happening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.